Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games

Go down 
+7
The Enkindler
yonny616
The_Biotic_God
Orc
Jack the Spectre
Stoney
Bluenose
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games Empty
Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games   New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 3:30 pm

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/03/report-new-sony-patent-blocks-second-hand-games

Quote :
Sony has reportedly patented technology that will prevent the use of second hand games on consoles.

According to NeoGAF member gofreak, the patent application was filed on 9 December 2012 by Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, and will work by linking individual game discs to a user's account without requiring a network connection meaning any future attempt to use this disc on another user's console won't work.

The use permission tag stores the terms of use of the game and determines whether a combination of the disc ID and the player ID conveyed from the reproduction device fulfils the terms of use or not.

The patent explains that games will come with contactless tags that will be read by your console in much the same way as modern bank cards. When a disc is first used, the disc ID and player ID will be stored on the tag. Every time the disc is used in future, the tag will check if the two ID’s match up and, if not, then the disc won’t work.

The document goes on to explain that such a device is part of Sony's ongoing efforts to deter second-hand games sales, and is a far simpler solution than always-on DRM or passwords.

It's worth noting that Sony has not confirmed the existence of the device, and the patent doesn't state what machine it will be used in, with later paragraphs also mentioning accessories and peripherals.

It does raise some concerns though. Firstly, the impact on game rental stores would be catastrophic as surely this means they'd no longer be able to do business? Given publishers' usual desire to keep retailers sweet by not undercutting them on prices and the like, this would be an unusual move.

There's also the issue of what happens should your console break and need replacing, or if you have more than one console. Will the games be linked to your PSN account, meaning they can still be used, or the console, meaning an entire new library of titles would need to be purchased?

IGN reached out to Sony for comment but was told the company doesn't comment on rumour and speculation.

NO SONY, BAD SONY! New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games 1411946719
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games   New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 5:39 pm

So, hypothetically, if I were to set up a second account on my "PS4" I wouldn't be able to play the game I bought on said account?

That's gick.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games   New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Stoney wrote:
So, hypothetically, if I were to set up a second account on my "PS4" I wouldn't be able to play the game I bought on said account?

That's gick.
Well no one's really sure of that yet, as far as whether or not the game is linked to consoles or accounts. Still, it's a pretty shitty thing to do. I am disappoint, Sony.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games   New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 12:42 pm

So if I brought my game to a friends house.... I wouldn't be able to play it at their house?

And if my console broke....when I buy a new console I'd have to purchase my entire games library again?

Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

PostSubject: Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games   New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 3:02 pm

This is just and all around atrocious idea. I think even Sony has enough sense not to utilize it.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games   New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 9:53 pm

If this happens I'm definitely going TEAM XBOX next generation.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games   New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 10:58 pm

Why's everyone freaking out? "OH NOEZZZ PS4 IZ DOOMZ, IT'S ALL DOOMZ". Most companies patent stuff they NEVER use. I don't remember people all over freaking out when it was rumored for the NeXbox.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

The Gutter

PostSubject: Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games   New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 8:11 am

yonny616 wrote:
Why's everyone freaking out? "OH NOEZZZ PS4 IZ DOOMZ, IT'S ALL DOOMZ". Most companies patent stuff they NEVER use. I don't remember people all over freaking out when it was rumored for the NeXbox.

Exactly, rumoured, now Sony have patented it, so it has been discussed by the higher ups, big difference between Chinese whispers and a company actually being proactive, as soon as MS patent a similar tech, the same rage will happen. eye roll
Back to top Go down
The Enkindler
Endgame Boss
Endgame Boss

Stature : 86
Greece
Playing : Plenty of games, and I can't count them.

PostSubject: Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games   New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 9:40 am

Same shit was said about that patent with the ads interrupting your gameplay and look, NOTHING HAPPENED.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/azazel166
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games   New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 12:22 pm

Akainu wrote:
Same shit was said about that patent with the ads interrupting your gameplay and look, NOTHING HAPPENED.
THIS!
Back to top Go down
Dam_Noir
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Dam_Noir

Stature : 39
England

PostSubject: Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games   New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 1:53 pm

If the worst does happen i'll be pissed off but then again PC games have been like this for years already.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/theblacknapalm
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games   New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 2:52 pm

This is actually happens, I'll be buying the next xbox instead.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

PostSubject: Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games   New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 5:05 pm

Lets be honest, if Sony does it, the much more greedy Microsoft will also most likely come up with a similar maneuver.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games   New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 6:13 pm

Trying to make money from second hand games have been a huge issue in the industry. Look at it this way. Sony now basically holds all the cards. If Microsoft or Nintendo try and do this, Sony can cockblock them or they have to pay Sony money. I RARELY buy used games, I barley let my friends borrow games or vice-versa, so it really doesn't affect me.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games   New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 8:54 pm

or................ maybe Sony is patenting this so other companies cant do this. there by saving second hand games.

"Where other companies blindly follow the truth, remember..."
"Nothing is true."
"Where other companies are limited by morality or law, remember..."
"Everything is permitted."
"We work in the dark to serve the light. We are.... Sony"

GOD SPEED SILENT HERO ;_;7

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games   New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 1:09 am

Sony, the hero the gaming industry deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll gloom and doom them. Because they're not a hero, they're a silent patenter, a industry protecter, a gaming knight.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

The Gutter

PostSubject: Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games   New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 1:29 pm

Love how people are spinning this as if they're looking out for the gamer. New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games 725796345
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games   New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 1:33 pm

mine was a joke if you didnt already know Neutral
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games   New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 2:02 pm

Seeing as I don't buy alot of used games, this probably won't affect me. But I still think it's a dick move that will screw over consumers and retailers if Sony chooses to use this technology.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games   New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 2:59 pm

Even if Sony uses this, I'll still expect the massive amount of Sony fanboys trying to defend them for it. New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games 725796345
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games   New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Sony Patent Blocks Second Hand Games
Page 1 of 1