Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.

Go down 
+9
Chobo
The_Biotic_God
TheJubJub5721
Stigma
Ihsahn
Mikenuge
Pickles1337
Jack the Spectre
Archduke
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

Stature : 4

Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 10:07 pm

Sovereign Alan wrote:

Red Dead Redemption completely overshadowed Alan Wake on the first week it released,
'tis why I didn't buy it. I bought RDR and was like "Oh... Alan Wake. That game."

To be fair, though, the game has a niche audience. It was a thriller game with very low replay value charged for $60. It was exclusive and is a game that doesn't have mass market appeal. It'd be generous if the game even broke 2 million, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 11:09 pm

chobo500 wrote:
Sovereign Alan wrote:
I know you are just trollololing but anyone that actually believes that the reason why Alan Wake sold bad was because of the 360 userbase has got to be kidding themselves.

Red Dead Redemption completely overshadowed Alan Wake on the first week it released, and Microsoft didn't have a long-lasting advertisement campaign for the game anyways.

Sure the 360's popular exclusives are usually shooters.. But what about non-shooter multiplats? They usually sell just as well if not better than the PS3 version.

not allways

Batman Arkham Asylum

Dante's inferno

Bayonetta(LOL)

FFXIII

Resident Evil 5

Dead Space

Darksiders

Assassin's Creed II

just to name a few

I'm not 100% correct with there, but it's just an example that most non-shooter multi-plats sell better on the PS3. (Even Bayonetta. I still can't believe that.)

I didn't know Resident Evil 5 and Dead Space weren't shooters.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 7:02 am

Pickles1337 wrote:
They're kinda not. They're both survival horror games. RE5 does have over-the-shoulder aiming, but you can't move while aiming and there's no real cover system. Dead Space isn't a shooter for similar reasons.
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 8:06 am

Ihsahn wrote:
I still think horror games are better without combat.

I somewhat agree. Like Amnesia has an awesome sense of immersion and no combat what so ever, but Dead Space 2 was also amazing.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 9:15 am

TRF wrote:
Pickles1337 wrote:
They're kinda not. They're both survival horror games. RE5 does have over-the-shoulder aiming, but you can't move while aiming and there's no real cover system. Dead Space isn't a shooter for similar reasons.

Near the end you HAD to use a cover system in RE 5. The fooking Majini had AK-47's! Still loved the game though.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 4:22 pm

chobo500 wrote:
Sovereign Alan wrote:
I know you are just trollololing but anyone that actually believes that the reason why Alan Wake sold bad was because of the 360 userbase has got to be kidding themselves.

Red Dead Redemption completely overshadowed Alan Wake on the first week it released, and Microsoft didn't have a long-lasting advertisement campaign for the game anyways.

Sure the 360's popular exclusives are usually shooters.. But what about non-shooter multiplats? They usually sell just as well if not better than the PS3 version.

not allways

Batman Arkham Asylum

Dante's inferno

Bayonetta(LOL)

FFXIII

Resident Evil 5

Dead Space

Darksiders

Assassin's Creed II

just to name a few

I'm not 100% correct with there, but it's just an example that most non-shooter multi-plats sell better on the PS3. (Even Bayonetta. I still can't believe that.)

So what? What DOES this prove at all? PS3 version sells marginally better thus 360 userbase is shallow? That's absolutely and INSANELY retarded logic. For what reason does any foresaken fanboy have to believe that Alan Wake would have sold better on the PS3? Mass Effect 2 sold worse on the PS3, does that mean PS3 owners don't like sci-fi based RPGs? Ofcourse not. It all has to do with advertisement and appeal. If the PS3 version of ME2 didn't release in the same time frame as Dead Space 2 and LBP2 then I'm sure it would have sold more. Same case with Alan Wake.

End of discussion.

Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 4:37 pm

Sovereign Alan wrote:
chobo500 wrote:
Sovereign Alan wrote:

not allways

Batman Arkham Asylum

Dante's inferno

Bayonetta(LOL)

FFXIII

Resident Evil 5

Dead Space

Darksiders

Assassin's Creed II

just to name a few

So what? What DOES this prove at all? PS3 version sells marginally better thus 360 userbase is shallow? That's absolutely and INSANELY retarded logic. For what reason does any foresaken fanboy have to believe that Alan Wake would have sold better on the PS3? Mass Effect 2 sold worse on the PS3, does that mean PS3 owners don't like sci-fi based RPGs? Ofcourse not. It all has to do with advertisement and appeal. If the PS3 version of ME2 didn't release in the same time frame as Dead Space 2 and LBP2 then I'm sure it would have sold more. Same case with Alan Wake.

End of discussion.

That wasn't what I was saying. I was saying that not all multi-plats that aren't shooters sell better on the 360. I said nothing about the user base being shallow or if Alan Wake would have sold better if on PS3. Sorry if that was what you thought I was Implying
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 4:43 pm

Well multiplats in general on both systems sell relatively similar. You get a few odd balls like FFXIII and COD but overall it's usually not more than a 5%ish difference. My main point was that games on the 360 that aren't shooters generally sell around the same amount as their PS3 counterparts.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 5:34 pm

Indeed. It was the game itself, not the platform. When shooters dwindle maybe horror games will get a bigger spotlight.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 6:06 pm

Ihsahn wrote:
Indeed. It was the game itself, not the platform. When shooters dwindle maybe horror games will get a bigger spotlight.
At which point the market would most likely become oversaturated with horror games.

It's always going to be oversaturated with something.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 6:12 pm

I find it extremely unlikely for the market to get over saturated with horror games.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 6:33 pm

Teckno wrote:
I find it extremely unlikely for the market to get over saturated with horror games.
Well back when FPS titles were a niche genre on PC, you probably would've said the same thing about them.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 7:50 pm

Yeah I don't see horror games ever saturating the market.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 5:18 am

TRF wrote:
Because PS3 owners play more than just FPS.
Thats why exclusives on ps3 sell so much amirite?
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 7:11 am

Toxicmaniac wrote:
TRF wrote:
Right. Because we have more than just one game to play whereas you guys don't. Razz
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 7:36 am

Toxic = OWNTZ
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 11:30 am

Haha i knew this thread would decend into heated debate.

But remember...

Take it easy boys...

Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 600full-sam-elliott
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 4:45 pm

TRF wrote:
Pickles1337 wrote:

I don't think either of those are real survival horror games. Resident Evil ditched its horror elements in favor of action.

Dead Space 2 is just an action game that uses jump scares and loud noises.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 5:32 pm

Yeah I agree. I don't think Dead Space is, as much as they want to market it as one, a real horror game. Jump scares don't make the game scary.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 11:33 pm

Dead Space 2's scares comes from the audio for me. Turn down/mute the volume and I would swear on my life that DS2 is just a regular TPS.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 12:43 am

They nailed the audio, but it has to go beyond that, I think. Truthfully I don't think we've seen a top tier, universally acclaimed true horror game. Amnesia definitely had the right direction, but as good as it was, it had some glaring flaws. That said if there's one developer I trust who can reach that it's Frictional Games.

Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 1:21 am

Well...not until my game comes out. Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 2505020059
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 4:30 am

TRF wrote:
Toxicmaniac wrote:
TRF wrote:
Right. Because we have more than just one game to play whereas you guys don't. Razz
O yes u r rite we haz no different genre's that sell.
Kinect adventures only sold 9 million....
Forza motorsport 3 only 4 million....
Fable 3 only sold over 2 million in 7 weeks and 1 million within one week.
Thats nothing compared to the non shooter ps3 exclusives that sold 3 million in about 5 years. Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 2590470549
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 4:54 am

Because PS3 owners have more options Razz
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 7:37 am

Toxicmaniac wrote:
TRF wrote:
Toxicmaniac wrote:
TRF wrote:
O yes u r rite we haz no different genre's that sell.
Kinect adventures only sold 9 million....
Forza motorsport 3 only 4 million....
Fable 3 only sold over 2 million in 7 weeks and 1 million within one week.
Thats nothing compared to the non shooter ps3 exclusives that sold 3 million in about 5 years. Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 2590470549

LittleBigPlanet 4M+
Gran Turismo 5 6M+
MGS4 sold 1Million within a week, I believe and 5M+ to date.
God of War 3 3M+
God of War Collection 2M+

You can't even count Adventures because that's bundled with Kinect. Might as well start counting Wii Sports...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.    Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.  - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alan Wake was originally planned to be on PS3.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next