Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Games you cannot understand the appeal of

Go down 
+8
2Sugoi2Die
Stoney
Hydell
The Enkindler
Jack the Spectre
Bluenose
Mecha
Orc
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

Games you cannot understand the appeal of - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 7:09 am

Stigma wrote:
Padders wrote:
Never really understood the appeal of story over gameplay in games like Uncharted.

Metal Gear Solid, I've tried so hard to get into this series but I just plain don't enjoy it, the stealth is pretty good but all the talking and cutscenes (especially snake eater where you couldn't pause them...) are too damn annoying.

Definitely a love/hate game series, if you're invested in the story, which can be VERY hard understand to because the game expects you to know the backstory, which I love as too many games nowadays disregard story for "new customers", looking at you Mass Effect, some people will detest the long cut scenes, although they never bothered me in Snake Eater as they were so well done, the same could be said about how beautifully crafted they were in MGS 4, but I clocked one or two cut scenes nearing the 1 hour mark, I shit you not, and on your first playthrough you obviously don't wanna skip them.

Back to top Go down
The Enkindler
Endgame Boss
Endgame Boss

Stature : 86
Greece
Playing : Plenty of games, and I can't count them.

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 7:14 am

I think that most of us agree on the fact that we are unable to understand Uncharted's appeal.
It's a about some jackass Treasure Hunter hunting...treasures, what's so special about it?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/azazel166
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
igame

Stature : 39
in front of computer
Playing : comedy

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 12:15 pm

What i found appealing about Uncharted was the way you progressed,
you shoot some mofos, climb here and there, then a puzzle,
a cutscene, look for treasures for trophies, and so on.

It just switched to something else before i'd get tire of doing one thing.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 12:31 pm

Stigma wrote:
Padders wrote:
Never really understood the appeal of story over gameplay in games like Uncharted.

I think it was the graphics that people played uncharted for, not the story. Not saying the story is bad, it was just average.

Speaking of uncharted that's one of the games i never understood the appeal of either. Way too linear and "movie-esque" for my tastes. In fact any game that feels like a movie I automatically hate. Not because I hate movies, but because I want to play a game not watch it. Excessive amount of cutscenes are annoying too.

On-rails shooters, they're just so boring never liked them never will.

iPhone games. I dislike the control scheme, touch screen would be great for strategy games but the problem is that most iphone games are action games with shit controls and most games under the "strategy" genre are tap this button and wait 3 hours games. Most of the good games I've played like Plants vs Zombies, Space Harvest, and Conquist 2 are few and far between, and often don't have enough content to be enjoyable for long. Space Harvest for example was a pretty solid rts game, but it only have 9 campaign levels...no skirmish mode and no multiplayer. Also infinity blade sucks.

Metal Gear Solid, I've tried so hard to get into this series but I just plain don't enjoy it, the stealth is pretty good but all the talking and cutscenes (especially snake eater where you couldn't pause them...) are too damn annoying.

Red Dead Redemption is another one, too much "empty space" and the lock on is ridiculous. You don't even need to aim just press LT move up the analog stick a bit and instant headshot. In addition, this goes for all rockstar games, but tapping a or x to sprint is annoying as hell...

Fighting games too, i've tried pretty hard to get into them, but a few online matches and i'm like "fuck this shit".

Given your post a "thanks" because I agree with almost all the stuff you said.

Uncharted is indeed an average game.

On-rail shooters are only entertaining in arcades.

Iphone games, some are amazing but yes the touch screen controls ruin it a lot of the time. I'd much rather play the games on PSP or DS.

Metal Gear Solid, well I loved Peace Walker and had some fun times with Portable Ops online, but yeah not a series I can really get into overall.

Red Dead yes, too much empty space (unlike Gun which was had a smaller map but was more interesting with specifically well designed areas, not just randomized trees and hills. And I too hate the X to sprint controls. One of the annoyances which killed GTA IV for me.

Fighting games, well Super Smash Bros I love. Non-side scrolling ones I can enjoy like The Warriors or Bully (though it's much more dynamic). I enjoy the odd few matches on Soul Calibur or Mortal Kombat as well but after 20 minutes I'm done and want to play something more varied.

Back to top Go down
ArchAngel
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ArchAngel

Stature : 20
Heaven
Playing : Sarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 4:17 pm

Stoney wrote:
Stigma wrote:
Padders wrote:

Definitely a love/hate game series, if you're invested in the story, which can be VERY hard understand to because the game expects you to know the backstory, which I love as too many games nowadays disregard story for "new customers", looking at you Mass Effect, some people will detest the long cut scenes, although they never bothered me in Snake Eater as they were so well done, the same could be said about how beautifully crafted they were in MGS 4, but I clocked one or two cut scenes nearing the 1 hour mark, I shit you not, and on your first playthrough you obviously don't wanna skip them.

So far I have played through the entire MGS series in chronological order two times. each time took me a month during summer break. I can easily say it is my second most favorite series and story. Such an amazing series and the best series to come out of Japan in my oppinion. Everything about it is top notch
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Games you cannot understand the appeal of - Page 2 PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 5:37 pm

Pokemon.... seriously! Why do these games continue to sell? They're basically the same shit every installment, yet they're praised by about every gamer.

CoD, nuff said.

Portal series.... I try to play them game I really did, but it just got boring so fast.

Elder Scrolls series is probably the biggest waste of money I'd ever had the boring displeasure of playing and I played Oblivion, which is considered better than Skyrim by some. It was good for the first 10 mins then I was like :fuckthat:
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 5:49 pm

yonny616 wrote:
Pokemon.... seriously! Why do these games continue to sell? They're basically the same shit every installment, yet they're praised by about every gamer.

CoD, nuff said.

Portal series.... I try to play them game I really did, but it just got boring so fast.

Elder Scrolls series is probably the biggest waste of money I'd ever had the boring displeasure of playing and I played Oblivion, which is considered better than Skyrim by some. It was good for the first 10 mins then I was like :fuckthat:

I despise the pokemon games, only small children should be expected to play that shit.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Games you cannot understand the appeal of - Page 2 R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 5:54 pm

I like the old Pokemon games. But I don't think I can get into the new ones though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Games you cannot understand the appeal of
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2