Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Games you cannot understand the appeal of

Go down 
+8
2Sugoi2Die
Stoney
Hydell
The Enkindler
Jack the Spectre
Bluenose
Mecha
Orc
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

Games you cannot understand the appeal of Empty
PostSubject: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 5:59 pm

Splinter Cell
Games you cannot understand the appeal of Splint10

This game series has always been bizarre to me. It is one with a dedicated fanbase yet every game I've played, boredom ensued within the first hour.
Admittedly I had high hopes for the PSP Splinter Cell in which in the first mission you walk across a church patio to visit your daughter's grave. It seemed bleak and atmospheric but all that was shattered the moment the second mission came about. The over-reliance of night-vision due to the pitch black locations, the annoyingly cramped industrial areas... it's bland to me. I've given about 4 different Splinter Cell games a try and they are extremely unappealing to me.

Uncharted
Games you cannot understand the appeal of Unchar10

I don't really need to say it because I think you know it by now, but I'll still go for it. The games are so damn tedious to me. Of course there is some satisfaction to be had from the stunning visuals. But then the gameplay is weak tomb-raider esque with weaker gunplay and it's horribly contrived. If I wanted a game of that style I'd go for Heavy Rain for the cinematic value or Tomb Raider for the actual platforming or Gears of War for the quality combat. Hell even 007 Everything or Nothing I'd rather play.

Halo
Games you cannot understand the appeal of Halo-310

Don't get me wrong, I completed Halo 3 and ODST and I think the series has some of the best multiplayer out there. But come on, every game is practically the same and the campaigns are VERY FUCKING DULL ... to me at least. Clearly people out there enjoy it, so good. But seriously I'd find reading the bible more entertaining.

Grand Theft Auto
Games you cannot understand the appeal of Gtasa10

I'm bullshitting a bit here. I mean GTA 1 & GTA London are some of my childhood games and I fell in love with them. And I consequently bought every single game since, some of them on multiple systems (the exception being Chinatown Wars), and Liberty City Stories is one of my favourite games of all time with some of the most hours I've poured into any game. But honestly, I only enjoy these games in extreme moderation, Liberty City Stories aside. I found them all severely lacking in character quality, atmosphere and emotion. Sure it's not meant to be about those things, but LCS did feature those things and the rest feel weak in almost every area. One of my biggest complaints is the pathetic checkpoint system that hasn't been fixed after years!
I love sandbox games as much as, if not more than the next guy, but when the sandbox is bland, then there's not much motivation to play it.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Games you cannot understand the appeal of R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 6:04 pm

Games you cannot understand the appeal of Gun45010
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 6:06 pm

Well done Mecha, but this thread's asking about games you've actually made the attempt to play. I love you
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 6:07 pm

I did play it. It's called Red Dead Revolver.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 6:14 pm

Mecha wrote:
I did play it. It's called Red Dead Revolver.

No you're confusing the amazing GUN with some weaker, far more linear game by Rockstar.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 6:19 pm

Nah mayne, there is no way a great game can have a generic title like GUN.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 6:33 pm

Mecha wrote:
Nah mayne, there is no way a great game can have a generic title like GUN.

So you admit Gun is good, just has a bad title. Fair. But I think the title's fine. It's like it's the definitive gun-game.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 8:26 pm

I totally agree with you on GTA and Splinter Cell. I play these games for like 30 minutes and I'm bored to tears.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Games you cannot understand the appeal of XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 9:27 pm

Bully

I don't like Assassins Creed or Mass Effect, two very popular and acclaimed franchises, but I do get the appeal of them so I'm not including them. Also, Splinter Cell is awesome. Give Splinter Cell: Conviction a shot if you want a little more action in your SC games, Lykos.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 7:30 am

- GTA
- Call Of Duty
- Half Life
- The Elder Scrolls
Back to top Go down
The Enkindler
Endgame Boss
Endgame Boss

Stature : 86
Greece
Playing : Plenty of games, and I can't count them.

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 7:57 am

Resistance

That's pretty much about it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/azazel166
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 9:22 am

The Sims
Yearly sports games like FIFA
Halo...be honest people, the trailers are nothing like the games.
Guitar Hero / Rock Band
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 11:47 am

TheCinemaJack wrote:

I don't like Assassins Creed or Mass Effect, two very popular and acclaimed franchises, but I do get the appeal of them so I'm not including them. Also, Splinter Cell is awesome. Give Splinter Cell: Conviction a shot if you want a little more action in your SC games, Lykos.

Yeah the demo of that seemed alright. Still not my ideal game but I'd certainly enjoy that more than the others. It seemed a lot more slicker and streamlined. Btw was this in the final version of the game?
Games you cannot understand the appeal of Splinter-cell-conviction
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 12:09 pm

Military shooters, they're all basically the same, boring, drab, repetitive and quite possibly the worst community of gamers I've ever came across.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 4:39 pm

Stoney wrote:
Military shooters, they're all basically the same, boring, drab, repetitive and quite possibly the worst community of gamers I've ever came across.

Games you cannot understand the appeal of Six-days-in-fallujah-01

Games you cannot understand the appeal of Ayee
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Games you cannot understand the appeal of XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 6:26 pm

Lykos wrote:
TheCinemaJack wrote:

Yeah the demo of that seemed alright. Still not my ideal game but I'd certainly enjoy that more than the others. It seemed a lot more slicker and streamlined. Btw was this in the final version of the game?
Games you cannot understand the appeal of Splinter-cell-conviction
Not that I recall but I haven't played the game in like two years so I dunno.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Games you cannot understand the appeal of StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 11:35 pm

Never really understood the appeal of story over gameplay in games like Uncharted.

Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Padders wrote:
Never really understood the appeal of story over gameplay in games like Uncharted.

Is the story even that good?

Some games with the great storyline are fantastic. Ie: Broken Sword, Grim Fandango, GUN, Final Fantasy Crisis Core, Halo - lol jk
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

From Hell

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 2:58 pm

The "story" of Halo is actually great. It's just that its possibly the most poorly executed series i've seen...its just levels of knocking down bad guys and i think its mainly down to Master Chief being so robotic.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 3:14 pm

Sexton_Flashheart wrote:
The "story" of Halo is actually great. It's just that its possibly the most poorly executed series i've seen...its just levels of knocking down bad guys and i think its mainly down to Master Chief being so robotic.

Yeah I'm sure it's alright but I've never been remotely interested in the storyline because of exactly what you said.

Yeah I fucking can't stand the single player of that game. It gets horribly tedious, and to this day I still haven't got round to completing Reach. I bought it a week or two after its release!
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

From Hell

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 3:28 pm

If Halo developers actually gave a fuck they could make it into a space opera to rival Mass Effect with multiple story arcs, consequences and endings while maintaining the FPS factor...look at Deus Ex Human Revolution. But no they insist on this whole shoot teh alienz with fruit gums thing :areyoufuckingk
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 3:30 pm

Sexton_Flashheart wrote:
If Halo developers actually gave a fuck they could make it into a space opera to rival Mass Effect with multiple story arcs, consequences and endings while maintaining the FPS factor...look at Deus Ex Human Revolution. But no they insist on this whole shoot teh alienz with fruit gums thing :areyoufuckingk:

YES! They could have a deep world with more than just merely "pew pew pew" gameplay and actually some character interactions and slow bits. A first person game doesn't always have to be in combat.
Back to top Go down
ArchAngel
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ArchAngel

Stature : 20
Heaven
Playing : Sarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 1:11 am

Sexton_Flashheart wrote:
If Halo developers actually gave a fuck they could make it into a space opera to rival Mass Effect with multiple story arcs, consequences and endings while maintaining the FPS factor...look at Deus Ex Human Revolution. But no they insist on this whole shoot teh alienz with fruit gums thing :areyoufuckingk

I agree

I can see Halo 6's ending now, "Choose to activate Halo array with red light, blue light or green light"

The thought of it REALLY excites me!
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 1:46 am

Padders wrote:

I think it was the graphics that people played uncharted for, not the story. Not saying the story is bad, it was just average.

Speaking of uncharted that's one of the games i never understood the appeal of either. Way too linear and "movie-esque" for my tastes. In fact any game that feels like a movie I automatically hate. Not because I hate movies, but because I want to play a game not watch it. Excessive amount of cutscenes are annoying too.

On-rails shooters, they're just so boring never liked them never will.

iPhone games. I dislike the control scheme, touch screen would be great for strategy games but the problem is that most iphone games are action games with shit controls and most games under the "strategy" genre are tap this button and wait 3 hours games. Most of the good games I've played like Plants vs Zombies, Space Harvest, and Conquist 2 are few and far between, and often don't have enough content to be enjoyable for long. Space Harvest for example was a pretty solid rts game, but it only have 9 campaign levels...no skirmish mode and no multiplayer. Also infinity blade sucks.

Metal Gear Solid, I've tried so hard to get into this series but I just plain don't enjoy it, the stealth is pretty good but all the talking and cutscenes (especially snake eater where you couldn't pause them...) are too damn annoying.

Red Dead Redemption is another one, too much "empty space" and the lock on is ridiculous. You don't even need to aim just press LT move up the analog stick a bit and instant headshot. In addition, this goes for all rockstar games, but tapping a or x to sprint is annoying as hell...

Fighting games too, i've tried pretty hard to get into them, but a few online matches and i'm like "fuck this shit".
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Games you cannot understand the appeal of StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 6:47 am

Lykos wrote:
Padders wrote:

Is the story even that good?

Some games with the great storyline are fantastic. Ie: Broken Sword, Grim Fandango, GUN, Final Fantasy Crisis Core, Halo - lol jk
Its just Nathan Darke destroying another hidden ancient city for his own personally greed. All he did is knock down the stick which was holding the entire ancient city up.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Games you cannot understand the appeal of   Games you cannot understand the appeal of I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Games you cannot understand the appeal of
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next