Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

Don't you think games need some racial diversity?

Go down 
+10
Bluenose
igame
NoelX2
The_Biotic_God
Stigma
Jack the Spectre
TheJubJub5721
Ihsahn
Based Sonji
Pickles1337
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

Don't you think games need some racial diversity? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:56 pm

Pickles1337 wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
Sovereign Alan wrote:
ArcanaOfB3ast wrote:
Sovereign Alan wrote:
Why is this in the Rant section anyways? Moving this to General Gaming.
It seems like a rant to me. Well...thats just my opinion.

Nah, doesn't have enough profanity.

I think it is more of a rant material too. But on the other hand it's not really ranting. It could go either way.

But back on topic, like I said before, people always say race is artificial and means nothing then say stuff like this. If race truly didn't mean anything it wouldn't matter that there are more white people in games.

I'm one of the people who thinks my race doesn't matter at all. I don't even see the point in taking pride in it since I didn't really do anything for my culture.

However, these are video games we're talking about. They're interactive so most people see themselves as the main character because we're controlling what they do.

This is a problem because most protagonists are white males. What would Mass Effect be like if you could only play as a red-headed male Commander Shepard? Not everyone who plays the vidya is white(or male for that matter) so why can't I play as an Asian female Shepard(hot).

It's like if everyone in the movies was white. See the problem?

Well a red headed male Shepard would be awesome 8) (I am a red head Razz) But if race doesn't matter IRL then why would it matter in video games?
Back to top Go down
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
igame

Stature : 39
in front of computer
Playing : comedy

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:57 pm

Pickles1337 wrote:
That's because you're white!

What about the other forum members like me and....um...fuck.

No mames guey de donde sacas que soy guero!
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 6:00 pm

Ehh.. It's the developers choice. Same could be said about lack of female protagonists, lack of gay/lesbian characters and lack of transgender protagoni- oh wait.. sorry I just remembered final fantasy.
Back to top Go down
ADV3N7URER!!!!!
Generic Grunt
Generic Grunt
ADV3N7URER!!!!!

Stature : 2
in my imagination

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 6:32 pm

more games should have an option to create your own character. the problem is that developers rather not have that option because then they would have to record different personality voices , different cutscenes because of the personality voices , might have to change the story a little (if female) , and do a bunch of other stuff.
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 10:36 pm

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
Pickles1337 wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
Sovereign Alan wrote:
ArcanaOfB3ast wrote:
Sovereign Alan wrote:
Why is this in the Rant section anyways? Moving this to General Gaming.
It seems like a rant to me. Well...thats just my opinion.

Nah, doesn't have enough profanity.

I think it is more of a rant material too. But on the other hand it's not really ranting. It could go either way.

But back on topic, like I said before, people always say race is artificial and means nothing then say stuff like this. If race truly didn't mean anything it wouldn't matter that there are more white people in games.

I'm one of the people who thinks my race doesn't matter at all. I don't even see the point in taking pride in it since I didn't really do anything for my culture.

However, these are video games we're talking about. They're interactive so most people see themselves as the main character because we're controlling what they do.

This is a problem because most protagonists are white males. What would Mass Effect be like if you could only play as a red-headed male Commander Shepard? Not everyone who plays the vidya is white(or male for that matter) so why can't I play as an Asian female Shepard(hot).

It's like if everyone in the movies was white. See the problem?

Well a red headed male Shepard would be awesome 8) (I am a red head Razz) But if race doesn't matter IRL then why would it matter in video games?

It implies that every gamer is white. Like if every actor was white it wouldn't sit well with a lot of people.
Back to top Go down
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
igame

in front of computer

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 10:43 pm

No matter how much i'm into a game, i never see myself as the character, that just sounds waaay too nerdy Razz
i don't understand why beaners complain so much about race
Back to top Go down
Pein
Non-Essential NPC
Pein

Stature : -6
Macedonia

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 6:08 pm

i don't care about racial diversity..if the character has a good personality and kicks ass it doesn't matter
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 6:10 pm

Not to you whitey.

:x
Back to top Go down
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
igame

in front of computer

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Pickles1337 wrote:
Not to you whitey.

:x

Ironically your attitude towards the subject seems racist Razz
Back to top Go down
ArchAngel
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ArchAngel

Stature : 20
Heaven
Playing : Sarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 8:10 pm

I dont care at all about racial diversity.If Master Cheif was black, I wouldnt care.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 8:20 pm

Zeratul wrote:
I dont care at all about racial diversity.If Master Cheif was black, I wouldnt care.

But you would if he was a woman 😢
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 1:39 am

I almost forgot. Gameinformer did an article about this.

I should have posted this in the first place. Don't you think games need some racial diversity? - Page 2 2505020059

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/02/08/widening-the-scope-a-look-at-racial-diversity-in-video-games.aspx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Don't you think games need some racial diversity?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2