Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

Don't you think games need some racial diversity?

Go down 
+10
Bluenose
igame
NoelX2
The_Biotic_God
Stigma
Jack the Spectre
TheJubJub5721
Ihsahn
Based Sonji
Pickles1337
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

Don't you think games need some racial diversity? Empty
PostSubject: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 2:27 pm

Almost every game you see has you playing as some white guy.

It's getting kind of...monotonous.

This could also be why most games are lacking in gameplay overall. Most devs right now are white people. And male.

I mean, c'mon. Most games out there right now are about shooting stuff and stabbing stuff.

Where are the Katamari's? Or the other weird foreign games?

Games should try harder to be diverse. Like those character creation tools in Mass Effect. Or non-stereotypical non-white people. I'm looking at you San Andreas and your CJ.

Don't you think games need some racial diversity? Buff--article_image

Also what's with only stereotypes in the vidya? Looking at you, Cole Train.

Don't you think games need some racial diversity? Coletrain
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 2:38 pm

How does racial diversity affect overall gameplay?
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

Stature : 4

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 3:02 pm

Hypnotoad wrote:
How does racial diversity affect overall gameplay?
It does nothing for gameplay to me, but I think if its used as part of the narrative or plot-centric without being offensive or "MINORITIES HAVE NO RIGHTS" then it can be a good thing.

However, the industry much of the time has no idea how to handle it. They'll stereotype black people as the guy who is loud and provides comic relief with his slang, or stereotype asians as these ultra smart geeks who eat rice 24/7. The industry needs to grow up before we see racial diversity.

Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 3:06 pm

I think people say racial is artificial and means nothing but then bitch about stuff like this....kinda hypocritical. Not directed at anyone in particular, just and observation from people as a whole.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 3:49 pm

I don't really care about their race. I care about their personality.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Don't you think games need some racial diversity? XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 4:37 pm

I can't remember the last time I played a game with a black protagonist that didn't speak in ebonics or fuck bitches.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

LittleBigP

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 6:11 pm

TRF wrote:
I can't remember the last time I played a game with a black protagonist that didn't speak in ebonics or fuck bitches.

Final Fantasy XIII
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 7:09 pm

Hypnotoad wrote:
TRF wrote:

Final Fantasy XIII
Now I remember why I loved that game.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 8:20 pm

lol, the last game I played with a black guy in it had a really thick Jamaican accent.

I don't really think they need more black people or Mexicans, they just need to stop stereotyping them so much.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 9:29 pm

TRF wrote:
Hypnotoad wrote:
TRF wrote:

Final Fantasy XIII

You love black cock.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 10:11 pm

Sovereign Alan wrote:
TRF wrote:
Hypnotoad wrote:
TRF wrote:

Final Fantasy XIII

You love black cock.
If by "black cock," you mean the Chocobo in his hair, then yes. I love black cock.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 10:21 pm

LOL Bonus points for the clever response.

WINNING.
Back to top Go down
NoelX2
Final Boss
Final Boss
NoelX2

Playing : SF3

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 10:22 pm

I dont give a shit about racial description. The only thing I care about for a character is how it develops and how it fits in the story. Thats it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XNoel2?feature=mhum
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 10:33 pm

Why is this in the Rant section anyways? Moving this to General Gaming.
Back to top Go down
NoelX2
Final Boss
Final Boss
NoelX2

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 10:45 pm

Sovereign Alan wrote:
It seems like a rant to me. Well...thats just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 11:00 pm

ArcanaOfB3ast wrote:
Sovereign Alan wrote:

Nah, doesn't have enough profanity.
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 1:24 am

Sovereign Alan wrote:
ArcanaOfB3ast wrote:
Sovereign Alan wrote:

I think it is more of a rant material too. But on the other hand it's not really ranting. It could go either way.

But back on topic, like I said before, people always say race is artificial and means nothing then say stuff like this. If race truly didn't mean anything it wouldn't matter that there are more white people in games.
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 6:19 pm

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
Sovereign Alan wrote:
ArcanaOfB3ast wrote:
Sovereign Alan wrote:

I think it is more of a rant material too. But on the other hand it's not really ranting. It could go either way.

But back on topic, like I said before, people always say race is artificial and means nothing then say stuff like this. If race truly didn't mean anything it wouldn't matter that there are more white people in games.

I'm one of the people who thinks my race doesn't matter at all. I don't even see the point in taking pride in it since I didn't really do anything for my culture.

However, these are video games we're talking about. They're interactive so most people see themselves as the main character because we're controlling what they do.

This is a problem because most protagonists are white males. What would Mass Effect be like if you could only play as a red-headed male Commander Shepard? Not everyone who plays the vidya is white(or male for that matter) so why can't I play as an Asian female Shepard(hot).

It's like if everyone in the movies was white. See the problem?

Back to top Go down
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
igame

Stature : 39
in front of computer
Playing : comedy

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 6:27 pm

I never really cared or noticed for that matter.
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 6:54 pm

That's because you're white!

What about the other forum members like me and....um...fuck.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 7:17 pm

Igame isn't white.. Well, based on his pic that is. Could be wrong. I'm Arab, but I have a white complection.

Anywhooo.. I agree, games should have main characters be more diverse then the standard white male. I actually can't think of any non Japanese game with a non white male as the leading role.. lol, that's kinda pathetic.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 7:19 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_video_games

Argument debunked.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 7:20 pm

TRF wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_video_games

Argument debunked.
LOL.

Cheap move is cheap.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

LittleBigP

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:03 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madden_NFL

Even more debunking.
Back to top Go down
NoelX2
Final Boss
Final Boss
NoelX2

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:22 pm

OWNED!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_College_Football:_BCFX:_The_Xperience
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't you think games need some racial diversity?   Don't you think games need some racial diversity? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Don't you think games need some racial diversity?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next