Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!

Go down 
+6
Mr Canai Spy
Jack the Spectre
BioDemon
Based Sonji
Mecha
RamboOnRedBull
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  Empty
PostSubject: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 7:38 am

http://n4g.com/news/1019646/ms-leak-details-xbox-720-with-dvr-hd-kinect-and-ar-glasses

Quote :
An apparently leaked strategy document from Microsoft created in September 2010 describes the next Xbox as an always on DVR/media server with hardware backwards compatibility, and upgraded Kinect and, eventually, Augmented Reality glasses and cloud gaming
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 8:02 am

There was a rumor awhile back that the Xbox 720 supported DVR, so it much be true. But I don't think it's needed for a gaming console.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 9:09 am

^ I wouldn't consider them to be just a "Gaming console" anymore.

They're becoming so much more than that.

Regardless, having an Xbox that supports DVR would be really awesome.

Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 9:19 am

Install all the gimmicks!
Back to top Go down
BioDemon
Graphics Mudokon
Graphics Mudokon
BioDemon

Stature : 48
America

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 11:29 am

The winner of next-gen will be won by the price and the (non-gaming) features of the consoles, not the games. Sad but true. The companies are waging a war to be more than just a game console, they want to become the entire media hub of a living room.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 11:49 am

Where did you get that idea? Having more features other than gaming, doesn't mean it's going to be the winner of the console war. Wii had less media features than it's rivals, yet it still won the console war. Plus PS3 had Blu-ray, and still lost.

It's all about the gaming gimmicks and price.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 11:56 am

Mecha, he's not talking about this generation. You can find a motion gimmick on every console now. Most likely, next generation WILL be determined by which console can produce the most features that would make it a universal entertainment box.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 12:23 pm

I know he's not talking about this generation. That's the point. How can you predict something like that without any sign of that happening? Just look at the next-gen handhelds, 3DS is beating the Vita. Why? Well not because of it's media features that's for sure. So judging by this generation, I say the console with the most gimmicks and cheaper price will win next-gen.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 12:29 pm

BioDemon wrote:
The winner of next-gen will be won by the price and the (non-gaming) features of the consoles, not the games. Sad but true. The companies are waging a war to be more than just a game console, they want to become the entire media hub of a living room.

i agree with this. i think the next box will be a multimedia entertainment box first & a "hardcore" gaming system second.
Back to top Go down
Mr Canai Spy
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Mr Canai Spy

Stature : 47
Weymouth
Playing : halo 5, rise of the tomb raider

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 1:25 pm

my xbox 360 is already my central media hub but i still play games online and off i think its a good idea the same thing happened to phones and it works out much better
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 1:55 pm

Mecha wrote:
I know he's not talking about this generation. That's the point. How can you predict something like that without any sign of that happening? Just look at the next-gen handhelds, 3DS is beating the Vita. Why? Well not because of it's media features that's for sure. So judging by this generation, I say the console with the most gimmicks and cheaper price will win next-gen.
The winner of last gen was the one with the most multimedia features. Same goes for the gen before. The difference now is that CD and DVD players are so affordable and commonplace, that having them in consoles is basically unimportant at this point. But now we have Blu-Ray and Blu-Ray players can still be expensive for some people, plus streaming is a big thing now. With all of that said, people are going to be looking for a gaming console that has multiple functions just like they did with the PSone as a CD player and the PS2 as a DVD player.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 2:13 pm

Mr Canai Spy wrote:
my xbox 360 is already my central media hub but i still play games online and off i think its a good idea the same thing happened to phones and it works out much better

phones are a horrible example. how are you comparing angry birds to a true gaming handheld like the vita & 3ds? if microsoft puts hardcore gaming in the backseat for next gen, it will be the same thing.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 2:14 pm

Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  06573d10

You do know that the original Xbox had more multimedia features compared to the PS2 right? Plus why are we going all the way back to the PSOne? That was almost 19 years ago. If your going to make predictions about next-gen, it should be based on how this current generation performed.
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 3:15 pm

Yeah we seen what happened when Sony concentrated too much on having all the multimedia shit and disregarding the actual point of a console aka the games...they fucked up hard.

Putting all this multimedia shit in bumps up the price.
Back to top Go down
BioDemon
Graphics Mudokon
Graphics Mudokon
BioDemon

America

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 3:40 pm

I also said price, Gavin. If the ps3 had hit retail the same price as the 360 it would have absolutely destroyed the 360 in sales.

If the next gen consoles end up coming out at the same price point, I think the features will matter more than the exclusives to the majority of people in the market.

Multimedia features don't just mean hardware (which is what jacks up the price), I think the "console war" next gen will play into the hands of whoever has the most companies backing their multimedia capabilities at an affordable price.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 3:55 pm

Multimedia features is the reason why the PS3 was expensive in the first place. Sure Sony could have out sold the Xbox 360 by making the PS3 cheaper. But they would've had to remove Blu-ray in order to do it. You see I mean now?

Whatever console will have the most multimedia features, will be the most expensive one. Even if the price is low, the company would end up losing money.
Back to top Go down
BioDemon
Graphics Mudokon
Graphics Mudokon
BioDemon

America

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 4:01 pm

Not if all the multimedia features were software (netflix) instead of hardware (blu-ray).

They could keep the price low, that's what I meant, whoever has the most multimedia features via software next gen will win, imo.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 4:11 pm

I mean I guess it could happen. But still, there has yet to be a console with the most multimedia features to win a generation. All I'm saying is, I have no reason to expect that to happen. It seems more likely that the console with the most gimmicks and lower price will win next-gen.
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 4:35 pm

Maybe, but MS's E3 conference was like 80% multimedia software and the like/dislike bar was like a red lightsabre. They clearly aren't interested in that shite and nor am i. I don't give a crap about netflix or lovefilm since i'd rather buy the film and have it as my own instead of having to pay to watch each time.

People who put the big bucks into consoles buy it for the games. These corporations need to start remembering that, we pay them big bucks and continue to do so. Casuals are a quick blast of cash but they don't buy shit.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 5:34 pm

Mecha, even though the PS3 has Blu-Ray, the 360 arguably has way more multimedia features.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 5:39 pm

But Xbox 360 isn't the winner of this generation now is it.
Back to top Go down
Mr Canai Spy
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Mr Canai Spy

Stature : 47
Weymouth
Playing : halo 5, rise of the tomb raider

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 7:13 pm

shigdig wrote:
Mr Canai Spy wrote:

phones are a horrible example. how are you comparing angry birds to a true gaming handheld like the vita & 3ds? if microsoft puts hardcore gaming in the backseat for next gen, it will be the same thing.

i meant the multi functions like camera, video, music player etc
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 8:19 pm

Mecha wrote:
No, but it beat the PS3. The last two generations won based on their multimedia features. If you read, I explained already that the Wii won because DVD and CD players were commonplace in most households so the hardware wasn't as important. Blu-Ray players are not, however, and with the advent of movie and television streaming, the console that best does these things will win.
Back to top Go down
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  ZDL7A4I
Stature : 342
Canada
Playing : Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy VII
Watching : Darksydephil

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 8:23 pm

TheCinemaJack wrote:
Mecha wrote:
No, but it beat the PS3. The last two generations won based on their multimedia features. If you read, I explained already that the Wii won because DVD and CD players were commonplace in most households so the hardware wasn't as important. Blu-Ray players are not, however, and with the advent of movie and television streaming, the console that best does these things will win.

Why are you talking about this generation in the past tense? According to VGChartz, the PS3's really closing the gap.

And the Wii's just a whole different thing. It's a novelty for little children, not a game console.
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 8:28 pm

TheCinemaJack wrote:
Mecha, even though the PS3 has Blu-Ray, the 360 arguably has way more multimedia features.

Netflix

Amazon Instant Video

Hulu Plus

Vudu

Music Unlimited

Video Unlimited

PS Store movies

Full fledged Internet Browser

Blu-Ray

I'd say the PS3 is a pretty damn good multi-media machine.

And at least you don't have to have PSN+ for these features unlike XBL where you must have a gold account.

The only reason the PS3 lost was the hefty price early on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!    Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Microsoft Leak Reveals "Xbox 720" DVR, HD Kinect, AR Glasses & MORE!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next