Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony

Go down 
+2
Chobo
yonny616
6 posters
AuthorMessage
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony Empty
PostSubject: Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony   Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Quite unfortunate if true.
Quote :
Zipper Interactive, a first-party Sony studio responsible for the creation of the SOCOM series and PS3 shooter MAG, is in the process of being shut down, according to Kotaku sources.

Sony has repeatedly declined to comment on the matter to Kotaku this week, citing their policy not to discuss rumor or speculation.

But we've heard chatter for several days that Zipper was in the process of being hit with layoffs and a project cancellation. The scope of the layoffs appears to indicate a studio shutdown.

Zipper has been in the business since 1996, with fan favourites like Mechwarrior 3 and Crimson Skies to its name before it was bought by Sony in 2006 to focus on the console business. The studio's last game was third-person shooter Unit 13 for the PlayStation Vita.

Once seen as one of Sony's most important studios, especially in the days of the PS2, Zipper has seen its titles struggle to find the same level of success in the PS3 era, with MAG never really catching on with players and the latest SOCOM title having the misfortune of being released right in the middle of 2011's great PS3 downtime.

Without official confirmation, there is still the possibility that Zipper will remain open in a nominal fashion but the extent of layoffs that we're hearing about appears to indicate studio closure.

We've again reached out to Sony for comment and will update this story if we hear back.
http://kotaku.com/5894692/rumor-socom-creators-being-shut-down-by-sony
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony   Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 9:04 pm

MAG and SOCOM 4 were pretty big flops. I think if Unit 13 on the Vita isn't a success, they may have to shut them down.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony   Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 9:12 pm

Dammit! I was just about to post this earlier until my friend called me over the phone.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony   Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 9:35 pm

Mecha wrote:
Dammit! I was just about to post this earlier until my friend called me over the phone.
Yeah, I saw you post it after me but then deleted it.
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony   Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 12:50 pm

MAG suffered from some major issues like not being bundled with a mic, some dodgy spawns (snipers could snipe you as soon as you parachute into the map since you always spawn in the exact same spot) and some maps were woefully unbalanced towards certain PMC's.

I never played SOCOM 4 due to being skint and or waiting for other games.

I suppose they have just lost their touch this gen, maybe they should have stuck to the SOCOM 2 formula instead of trying to break into the FPS market which is already heavily saturated and fickle.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony   Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 4:55 pm

The developers still might be transferred to other sony first party projects.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
ghost23
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ghost23

Stature : 11
Australia

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony   Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 8:21 pm

They did get very unlucky since SOCOM 4 came out right at the start of the PSN hacking and no one bought it because it couldnt be played online.
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony   Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 9:07 pm

ghost23 wrote:
They did get very unlucky since SOCOM 4 came out right at the start of the PSN hacking and no one bought it because it couldnt be played online.

That, and Portal 2 and Mortal Kombat came out the same day.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony   Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 9:54 pm

It is now confirmed.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/31/sony-confirms-zipper-interactive-closure/
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony   Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 1:42 am

Well they couldn't capture their former Socom I/II glory days and their last two PS3 games were critically and sales wise a flop. MAG had potential but didn't come with a mic and Socom 4, well that was Zipper fault. They couldn't pay attention to what the fan base wanted and it came to bite them in the ass.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony   Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rumor: Zipper Interactive Being Shut Down by Sony
Page 1 of 1