Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?

Go down 
+5
Archduke
Chobo
Bluenose
Mecha
The_Biotic_God
9 posters
AuthorMessage
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?  Empty
PostSubject: Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?    Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 6:17 pm

Quote :

In 2012, Sony will focus on enticing families and younger gamers to PlayStation 3.

"You will probably see us taking the console more towards a slightly younger demographic - more family market," Sony's European leader Jim Ryan told OPM.

"The core gamer will absolutely not be neglected," he quickly added. "There's going to be tons and tons of great stuff for the core gamer from our own studios, third parties.

"But there's some quite interesting stuff happening in a number of areas, which would allow us to open up a market that we accessed pretty successfully on PS1 and PS2, but we haven't yet got to on PS3."

That family market was driven by games like SingStar and Buzz! on PS2. And by a low barrier to entry: a low price point.

"If you look back at the history on PS1/PS2, the vast majority of the business that we did on both those platforms was done at sub-£129 price points," said Ryan.

"We only just got to £199 in the UK a couple of months back, so you can see ... there's still a lot of PS3s potentially to be sold."

Microsoft targeted a similar audience with Kinect and has enjoyed headline dominating sales success, noting 10 million device sales in March 2011 (no update has been given since).

Sony's more modestly marketed PlayStation Move device had shipped 8.3 million units as of October.

We expect Move will be a central part of Sony's 2012 plans.

Meanwhile, however, reports of Kinect 2 and lip-reading accuracy are surfacing. As is talk of a next Xbox.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-05-sony-aiming-ps3-at-young-gamers-and-families-in-2012
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?  R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?    Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 6:24 pm

Well at least Sony hasn't forgotten about the core audience. Unlike some companies.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?    Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 6:34 pm

Mecha wrote:
Well at least Sony hasn't forgotten about the core audience. Unlike some companies.

Their statement still worries me. I thought they would give up on the Move by now.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?  R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?    Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 6:43 pm

The_Biotic_God wrote:
Mecha wrote:

Their statement still worries me. I thought they would give up on the Move by now.

What's there to be worried about? There is no sign of Sony focusing less on the core audience. Plus, by the time the PS3 goes casual, the PS4 will already be out.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?    Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 6:54 pm

So basically another PS2/1?. What's wrong?
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?  0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?    Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 6:59 pm

I think what they mean is more games like Sly Cooper and Jak and Daxter.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?    Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 7:31 pm

Sony will continue to make great games for all audiences. Don't worry.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?    Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 8:07 pm

News flash sony....Wii already owns that demographic.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?  XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?    Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 9:04 pm

Reaper wrote:
Not for long. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?    Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 10:12 pm

TRF wrote:
Reaper wrote:
Not for long. Twisted Evil

Dude I hope Sony stays true to its core fanbase. MS and Nintendo, while they do release an occasional hardcore exclusive, are basically going casual. Sony, unfortunately, is our last hope for the remaining years in this gen and the next. PS4 could be sooo good next gen if they focus their R&D on their 1st party franchises, and ways to improve their online services.
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ghost23

Stature : 11
Australia

PostSubject: Re: Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?    Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 1:51 am

Reaper wrote:

Wouldn't be entirely sure about that anymore. Microsoft sold about 700k Kinects last week alone. That's fucking insane.

But back to the topic, if they're going for the casual with the Move, they really should reconsider cause the Move has failed big time.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?  Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?    Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 5:03 pm

I think most of you guys are getting the wrong picture here.

What Sony probably means by "Catering to a younger audience" is that they're gonna release more kid friendly games like Jak and Daxter 'n' Sly Cooper.

NOT that they are going to pull a Microsoft.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?    Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 5:10 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:

What Sony probably means by "Catering to a younger audience" is that they're gonna release more kid friendly games like Jak and Daxter 'n' Sly Cooper.

If they release more games like jak and sly then i will be happier then ever before.

If they pull a microsoft.....Then i will embrace the wii U as my superior overlord. :fuckthat:
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?    Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 5:18 pm

Toxicmaniac wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:

If they release more games like jak and sly then i will be happier then ever before.

If they pull a microsoft.....Then i will embrace the wii U as my superior overlord. :fuckthat:

ROFLMAO.

You'll be playing an iPad as a controller Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?    Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sony shifting more towards catering to the casuals for 2012?
Page 1 of 1