Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your Musical Views

Go down 
+4
Based Sonji
Jack the Spectre
Stoney
Orc
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

Your Musical Views Empty
PostSubject: Your Musical Views   Your Musical Views I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 3:32 pm

Music has been the root of many debates on this forum... and I'm one of the culprits who has essentially initialized most of these debates. :fuckyea:
And so I thought this thread would be a good idea for us to share our musical views; what we look for in music, what styles we like and so on. So we can all learn to respect each other's musical preferences and taste. People may or may not read these but I will :)

I'll go first:

In music I used to look for anything catchy. Something that sounds good first listen. But over time my tastes developed and changed, which could be attributed to my growing love for playing guitar (and piano occasionally). Recently I lost any appreciation for music that seems, in my eyes, simple and generic. It isn't as if I chose to dislike them, I just lost my appeal.
In terms of my actual musical taste, I do try to be open minded. I will listen and make every attempt to appreciate music of all styles. But the ones that ring true, the ones that really grab my attention are the ones with feeling. I want to be moved by the music. Even if the musical direction or style is alien to my tastes. I don't mind giving 2,3,5,10 or 50 listens to something if I don't understand it or feel it at first. If I see the potential, I will do what it takes to make sense of it.
I look for emotion, power and to a certain extent, technicality. I don't expect every musician or songwriter to be a virtuoso but I can't enjoy something if it sounds as if it was written by a 10 year old. If I could have written it, what is the point?
My all time favourite band is Avenged Sevenfold. I know they aren't the most popular band ever but I have never before heard a band who plays their style with such grandeur as them. I have not even heard music of their caliber within such music. They are unique in every sense of the word and they make every effort to be diverse. But what I love most about them is how every melody they write, whether it be verse or bridge or chorus, sounds incredible. They are never predictable, never cliche, never simply chromatic. They are always heartfelt, potent and memorable. And the layering of the instruments and vocals, the whole arrangement of it all is executed in such a genius way. In my eyes, Avenged Sevenfold are the greatest artists of this generation and my favourite of all time.
I also am a fan of melodic death metal. For years I rejected any genre that had the inclusion of guttural (growled/screamed) vocals. I understood the technique is not easy to execute and can take a lot of practise to master but I refused to acknowledge that the music itself could be decent. After years of exposure to such music, eventually I was able to look past the vocals and appreciate the backing. Furthermore, later I began to appreciate the pure, undiluted, raw emotion the growls could portray. No, there isn't a particularly distinctive tone to these kinds of vocals, some are in such low octaves that our ears can barely distinguish the notes. But it can be argued that even percussion such as drums are essentially not musical, (granted they are for timing), and so it can be argued that guttural vocals are used to similar effect. To me these vocals contribute to the power and emotion of the music. (I love In Flames and Insomnium- In Flames are powerful and beautiful and Insomnium are powerful and melancholic)
My tastes are more than metal though, of course. Admittedly it was only about a year ago where I began to be open minded about music. I had abandoned genres such as classical and folk for years. Fairly recently I rediscovered composers I once loved and grew up listening to; Mozart, Chopin, etc

I have also been listening to a lot of (come at me bro) peruvian flute music. I find that there is something spiritual and beautiful about it. Also the lack of lyrics allows freedom to interpret the song in the listeners desired way. So instrumentals always sit well with me.

So yeah. That's me in a nutshell. You don't have to read it if you don't like. lol Now share your musical tastes.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

Your Musical Views Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Musical Views   Your Musical Views I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 4:01 pm

Like I said before, I like almost all types of music. I've being recently listening to quite a bit Irish Folk/Ballad music, and the lyrics are just beautiful in some of the more emotional songs.

Also being listening to quite a bit of local Irish singer/songwriters and bands i.e Damien Dempsey, Glen Hansard, The Corona's etc.

It's good to listen to music that has passion and meaning behind it instead of the majority of the garbage out nowadays.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Your Musical Views XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

Your Musical Views Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Musical Views   Your Musical Views I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 4:02 pm

I like music on many different levels. There are the catchy songs I enjoy, but I have a much greater appreciation for deeper music, whether it be through a complex array of instruments or clever lyrics.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

Your Musical Views Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Musical Views   Your Musical Views I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 4:04 pm

Stoney wrote:
Like I said before, I like almost all types of music. I've being recently listening to quite a bit Irish Folk/Ballad music, and the lyrics are just beautiful in some of the more emotional songs.

Also being listening to quite a bit of local Irish singer/songwriters and bands i.e Damien Dempsey, Glen Hansard, The Corona's etc.

It's good to listen to music that has passion and meaning behind it instead of the majority of the garbage out nowadays.

Nice. Admittedly I have listened to barely any irish folk music but when I've heard it on films and such it's usually appealed to me. I should really research some artists of that style and find some that I like.

And true say about the passion and meaning. :)
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Your Musical Views Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Musical Views   Your Musical Views I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 4:38 pm

I don't really know what i seek in music. I only know that i don't like music that builts itself up i just want to be directly into the music. I like music which is a bit between ballads and really hard music to bring a powerfull yet dramatic effect with orchestral instruments added to it.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

Your Musical Views Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Musical Views   Your Musical Views I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 4:47 pm

Toxicmaniac wrote:
I don't really know what i seek in music. I only know that i don't like music that builts itself up i just want to be directly into the music. I like music which is a bit between ballads and really hard music to bring a powerfull yet dramatic effect with orchestral instruments added to it.

See.. you should listen to Insomnium. They have the epic cruscendos and pure unrivalled power and emotion Your Musical Views 2505020059

Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

Your Musical Views Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Musical Views   Your Musical Views I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 4:56 pm

I like music that sounds good.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

Your Musical Views Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Musical Views   Your Musical Views I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 5:00 pm

Sonji wrote:

Your Musical Views Clapping
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

Your Musical Views Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Musical Views   Your Musical Views I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Lykos wrote:
Sonji wrote:

Get @ Me, you cynical fucktard.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

Your Musical Views Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Musical Views   Your Musical Views I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 5:13 pm

Sonji wrote:
Lykos wrote:
Sonji wrote:

Get @ Me, you cynical fucktard.

:what:
Back to top Go down
BioDemon
Graphics Mudokon
Graphics Mudokon
BioDemon

Stature : 48
America

Your Musical Views Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Musical Views   Your Musical Views I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 5:53 pm

Sonji wrote:
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

Your Musical Views Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Musical Views   Your Musical Views I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 7:49 pm

Sonji wrote:

THIS. Your Musical Views 2505020059
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

Your Musical Views Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Musical Views   Your Musical Views I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2011 8:56 pm

I like lots of music. Like Sonji said, the good music.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Your Musical Views Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Musical Views   Your Musical Views I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 8:07 am

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
I like lots of music. Like Sonji said, the good music.
*enter dubstep joke here* SORRY I COULDN'T RESIST. Razz
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

Your Musical Views Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Musical Views   Your Musical Views I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 8:50 am

Yeah I like music that sounds good. Why didn't I just make this a poll: DO YOU LIKE MUSIC THAT SOUNDS GOOD? YES OR NO?

No because that's fucking retarded and defeats the object of this thread. I made it so we can share our views and discuss them. You see, Stoney, Toxic and TRF and I actually made an effort
As similar or different as our tastes may be at least we are evidently people with an appreciation or love for music.

The rest of you, why even bother if you aren't going to bother?
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

Your Musical Views Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Musical Views   Your Musical Views I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 10:30 am

Lykos wrote:
Yeah I like music that sounds good. Why didn't I just make this a poll: DO YOU LIKE MUSIC THAT SOUNDS GOOD? YES OR NO?

No because that's fucking retarded and defeats the object of this thread. I made it so we can share our views and discuss them. You see, Stoney, Toxic and TRF and I actually made an effort
As similar or different as our tastes may be at least we are evidently people with an appreciation or love for music.

I bothered, and I posted my opinion. I love you

Fine, I'll play your stupid little game just so you can go bash my opinion.

I like lot's of music, mainly in the metal and hard rock catagory. Anything from screamo to SOAD. I don't know what detailed sub genres (or even some of their main genres) cause I don't give a fuck, I like it so I listen too it. I also like dubstep and techno. (look lykos, after the ad watch the first part. https://www.youtube.com/jubjub5721#p/f/0/jztRZ34AEcY) I also like scattered other songs and artists in various genres.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

Your Musical Views Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Musical Views   Your Musical Views I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 12:06 pm

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
Lykos wrote:

I bothered, and I posted my opinion. I love you

Fine, I'll play your stupid little game just so you can go bash my opinion.

I like lot's of music, mainly in the metal and hard rock catagory. Anything from screamo to SOAD. I don't know what detailed sub genres (or even some of their main genres) cause I don't give a fuck, I like it so I listen too it. I also like dubstep and techno. (look lykos, after the ad watch the first part. https://www.youtube.com/jubjub5721#p/f/0/jztRZ34AEcY) I also like scattered other songs and artists in various genres.

This is not about bashing. I said that the start of the thread it's so we can keep an open mind. :)
And it was mainly about what you look for in music rather than what you listen to but ah well at least you contrinuted lol

btw link wont open." incorrect parameters"

Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

Stature : 4

Your Musical Views Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Musical Views   Your Musical Views I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2011 3:10 am

My music views:

Metal
-memorable (catchy if it's formulaic music like In Flames and Soilwork)
-semi-technical (simple music doesn't cut it for me) but not complete wank
-cleanish production, but not sterile
-level (cannot stand when an instrument drowns out the rest)

i.e. Revocation, Every Time I Die, Decrepit Birth, Protest the Hero

Rap
-good beat (this trumps all - I cannot stand a rap song with an average beat)
-good flow
-clever wordplay, double meanings, witty etc.

Doesn't have to mean something or be deep if it meets the last criteria.

i.e. Odd Future (specifically Tyler & Earl), Del tha Funkee Homosapien, Gang Starr

Electronic
-long
-progressive structure
-good bassline (but not that wobble hipster bullshit dubstep)
-lots of layers
-memorable melody

i.e. Airwave, Vibrasphere, Solar Fields

That's 'bout all I listen to on a regular basis. 10,000 songs and probably 98% of it is those 3 genres.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Your Musical Views Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your Musical Views   Your Musical Views I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your Musical Views
Page 1 of 1