Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End? Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End? Empty
PostSubject: TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End?   TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 3:21 pm

TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End? 1200x-1

Quote :
With too many shows chasing too few viewers, say industry executives, most original programs lose money and half the shows now running probably will disappear by next year.

“The market is flooded with too many people chasing the same prize,” said Jeff Wachtel, president of NBCUniversal’s cable unit, which includes the USA and Syfy channels. “What used to be the golden age of television has now become a gold rush.”

In 2000, 10 percent of original series were canceled. Today, more than half are not picked up for another season, says Liam Boluk, a media strategy consultant at the media newsletter REDEF.
AMC, home of cable TV’s most popular show “The Walking Dead,” canceled cop drama “Low Winter Sun” in 2013 after one season. TNT’s “Mob City,” written and directed by “Walking Dead” creator Frank Darabont, was also not renewed for a second season. FX Networks recently canceled the comedy “Legit” after two seasons.

“Original programming has never been more important for TV networks, but it’s also more costly and failure-prone than at any time in television’s history,” Boluk said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-28/tv-s-golden-age-won-t-last-because-you-re-not-watching-enough

Meanwhile, Netflix is expected to increase its price for all users by 2016:

Quote :
Netflix has increased the price of its most popular plan, shifting the price up by 50p per month for new subscribers.

"As a thank you for being a member of Netflix already, your current pricing will remain in effect and we guarantee your price will not change until May 2016."

While its shares fell by 26% last year:

Quote :
Netflix reported earnings that were in line with Wall Street estimates, but shares plunged more than 25 percent as subscriber growth figures came in lower than expected.

http://www.cnbc.com/2014/10/15/netflix-shares-down-26-as-subscribers-disappoint.html
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End? PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End?   TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 3:28 pm

Netflix told its users about a price hike since last year. It's also just a $1 price hike from 7.99 to 8.99.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End?   TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 3:32 pm

yonny616 wrote:
Netflix told its users about a price hike since last year. It's also just a $1 price hike from 7.99 to 8.99.

It's more depressing how original shows get cancelled so frequently, though.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End?   TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 3:38 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
yonny616 wrote:

That's the name of the game on TV. Especially now a days. Networks want their show to be hits fast, they don't usually allow audiences to grow. It's the reason Hannibal fans should feel extremely lucky, and grateful, the show got 3 seasons since the average viewing audience kept going down each season.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End? R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End?   TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 5:04 pm

Oh, I'm grateful alright. Especially how this season ended. It's like the creators knew that this was going to be cancelled, so they made this the season finale the whole time. So it's not like all those other TV shows that get cancelled and doesn't get the chance to tie up the loose ends. Hannibal ends with a great closure, while also leaving it open for a season four.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End?   TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 8:02 am

yonny616 wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
yonny616 wrote:

That's the name of the game on TV. Especially now a days. Networks want their show to be hits fast, they don't usually allow audiences to grow. It's the reason Hannibal fans should feel extremely lucky, and grateful, the show got 3 seasons since the average viewing audience kept going down each season.

They kind of need their shows to be hits fast when the cost and competition has increased so rapidly over the past few years.

Some companies try to revive older shows, though, but I have no clue whether that ever pays off or not?
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End?   TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 6:37 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
yonny616 wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
yonny616 wrote:

They kind of need their shows to be hits fast when the cost and competition has increased so rapidly over the past few years.

Some companies try to revive older shows, though, but I have no clue whether that ever pays off or not?
Yes, but sometimes these shows get screwed because of that. Take Constantine for example - NBC put it in its initial timeslot of Fridays at 10PM because they wanted the Grimm audience to latch onto it as well which hopefully meant a bigger audience.

I don't know if it's payed off either, but I don't think it was ever to the point of what we see now where it's like Hollywood's reboot everything in the 80's phase. Razz
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End?   TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 6:49 pm

yonny616 wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
yonny616 wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
yonny616 wrote:

Yes, but sometimes these shows get screwed because of that. Take Constantine for example - NBC put it in its initial timeslot of Fridays at 10PM because they wanted the Grimm audience to latch onto it as well which hopefully meant a bigger audience.

I don't know if it's payed off either, but I don't think it was ever to the point of what we see now where it's like Hollywood's reboot everything in the 80's phase. Razz

Yeah, that'll be fucked up if they ever pull a 'Hollywood', lol. 

Oh well, we still have Netflix to rely on, so that's something good. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End?   TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TV's 'Golden Age' Coming To An End?
Page 1 of 1