Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PS3 HDD problem

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
igame

Stature : 39
in front of computer
Playing : comedy

PS3 HDD problem Empty
PostSubject: PS3 HDD problem   PS3 HDD problem I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 9:15 pm

So my ps3 has the YLOD, i thought of fixing it but found that i'm too lazy to open it and buy the tools that i need, maybe i'll do it later.

But i bought another ps3, i got it for $100, and like i wanna swap the HDD, but i know that if i do the ps3 will format it, thus losing everything i had in my old ps3.

So my question is, is there a way to get all the data on my old HDD and store it on my laptop so i can later transfer it back to the HDD once the ps3 formats it?

Any help, tip or advice will be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PS3 HDD problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS3 HDD problem   PS3 HDD problem I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 9:30 pm

I'm thinking you can probably move the content onto a USB drive.

Just remember that most of your content can be recovered from your download history. It's just saved games you have to worry about.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

PS3 HDD problem StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PS3 HDD problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS3 HDD problem   PS3 HDD problem I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 1:27 am

Since your old ps3 YLOD and you can't swap the HDD because the new ps3 will format it. The only way you can get all that data back if you spend the money to get that YLOD ps3 fixed and use the backup feature on there. Like Alan said all your downloaded content is saved on the download history.
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PS3 HDD problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS3 HDD problem   PS3 HDD problem I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 5:32 am

Yeah its pretty fail that it re-formats every time you put it in your ps3. I was luck and downloaded all my saves and other stuff to a USB whe my ps3 started coughing up blood.
Back to top Go down
Mikenuge
Guard
Guard
Mikenuge

UK
Playing : With my small penis

PS3 HDD problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS3 HDD problem   PS3 HDD problem I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 5:59 am

Padders wrote:
Since your old ps3 YLOD and you can't swap the HDD because the new ps3 will format it. The only way you can get all that data back if you spend the money to get that YLOD ps3 fixed and use the backup feature on there. Like Alan said all your downloaded content is saved on the download history.

what she said
Back to top Go down
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
igame

in front of computer
Playing : comedy

PS3 HDD problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS3 HDD problem   PS3 HDD problem I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 9:34 pm

I see, i understand that i can re download all the stuff from the store again, but it would get annoying to look for everything i want and re download it one by one, cuz i have a shit ton of stuff in my download history.

The idea of fixing the YLOD to back up my stuff sounds tempting, anyone know where i can send my ps3 for a fix?

Meh, never mind, i'm not gonna spend any more money on this shit, i'll just restart whatever games i wanna play, i haven't touch my ps3 in months anyway, so i won't mind going thru some of the games i was playing before it died.

Thanks yall for your tips.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PS3 HDD problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS3 HDD problem   PS3 HDD problem I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 11:07 pm

The way Sony handles the YLOD situation for many users bugs me a bit. Even if it allegedly is only ".00000000000000000000000000002%" I still see many people getting YLODs on their older PS3 models. Considering early adopters of the PS3 spent twice as much money on their system, I think Sony should treat them more fairly.

The very least they could do is release a firmware update that gets rid of the need to reformat swapped HDDs to make affected user's lives much easier.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PS3 HDD problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: PS3 HDD problem   PS3 HDD problem I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PS3 HDD problem
Page 1 of 1