Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy

Go down 
+7
Archduke
Jack the Spectre
RamboOnRedBull
Gutzahn
Stigma
NoelX2
Orc
11 posters

Which is better?
 The Elder Scrolls
 Final Fantasy
View results
AuthorMessage
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy Empty
PostSubject: FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy   FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 5:59 pm

FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy YGQjdYO

The best WRPG vs the best JRPG franchises
Back to top Go down
NoelX2
Final Boss
Final Boss
NoelX2

Stature : 91
Playing : SF3

PostSubject: Re: FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy   FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 6:39 pm

Should have done a TES vs Souls thread, and then probably something that relates to Final Fantasy.

Final Fantasy.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XNoel2?feature=mhum
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy   FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 6:40 pm

Don't make me choose.

Well fuck it the FF had a bigger impact on my childhood so going with that.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy   FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 6:51 pm

Stigma wrote:
Don't make me choose.

Well fuck it the FF had a bigger impact on my childhood so going with that.

This is what I want! I want people conflicted Razz
Back to top Go down
Gutzahn
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Gutzahn

Stature : 21

PostSubject: Re: FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy   FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 7:02 pm

ff7 or Skyrim ? Dunno, but I'll go with Elder Scrolls since it's more recent.
No ff nostalgia bonus for me since I didn't play ff7 till I got it for my psp.

Last edited by Gutzahn on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy   FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 7:05 pm

You said it boy.
I got no nostalgia for FF and honestly I don't see what the fuss is all about. FF9 is pretty good, and although Crisis Core is a masterpiece, the rest of the games are meh. The Elder Scrolls Oblivion is far better than any of them. Crisis Core is better than Skyrim though.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy   FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 9:18 pm

Elder Scrolls.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy   FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 1:58 am

This is probably the toughest one you've done so far. I love Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy III, and I even enjoy Final Fantasy XIII in spite of the negative reviews. But XIII-2 was not very good and VII is realllly dated. Plus that Crystal Chronicle game for GameCube was yuck.

For consistency alone, I'd say The Elder Scrolls. I haven't disliked one of those (yet).
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy   FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 3:41 am

Final Fantasy, by a landslide. While I will respect TES and say that is a good franchise, it's just wayyyy overrated and overhyped by the gaming media as a whole.

Skyrim is an overrated pile of garbage and frankly, just boring as fuck. Seriously, I couldn't even finish it and I didn't even like it very much. It just wasn't very appealing to me. Meanwhile, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy X are considered to be one of the greatest RPG's of all-time. (Many people consider FF6 to be a perfect game, actually.) Oh and FF7 is also famous for being one of the best and first RPG's for the 3D world of gaming.

Oh and I also prefer JRPG's over many WRPG's, including TES.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy   FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 7:06 am

I think FFVII's aged horribly as well. Couldn't enjoy it.

@Duke Skyrim was a letdown but Obliivon man... Oblivion is beaut.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy   FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 9:33 am

I have to go with Final Fantasy since the only TES game I like is Morrowind.

In the subject of Final Fantasy VII... FFVII was the first Final Fantasy game for a lot of people. Also have to take into account that it was the first Final Fantasy game to be in 3D with some rendered environments and on a next generation system at the time. A lot would agree that it is still a very playable game and still holds up well today. Unfortunately the fanbase that surrounds FFVII has become completely retarded over the years. I remember when it was largely argued that the movie Advent Children was the starting point where things started going wrong.

Now to Final Fantasy XIII... Obviously not a whole lot of people liked this game despite getting two squeals. It is generally argued among fans that XIII isn't the only worst Final Fantasy (usually a matter of opinion) but it is mostly agreed that XIII has no redeemable qualities. Surprising Lightning Returns is the most enjoyable game in the XIII series once you can get passed that whole time sensitive events like in the Dead Rising games. Yeah I made thread saying it was shit but my opinion of Lightning Returns greatly changed since then.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy   FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 9:41 am

Oof I haven't played a Final Fantasy game since the PS2 days and they were great.

I never had much love for TES frankly. I'm going with Final Fantasy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy   FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 1:01 pm

I tipped the balance with my vote! T'was tough, as much as I fucking LOVE Oblivion, God, I wish I could go back to that weekend were I played the game for a pathetic amount of time, just getting lost in it's wonder, the Dark Brotherhood storyline was the games highlight for me, but I digress, I choose Final Fantasy.

Final Fantasy VIII & IX had a profound effect on me, they showed me, along with Metal Gear Solid, where games where going.

Oh, and Final Fantasy IX is the best Final Fantasy.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy   FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 8:51 pm

Sawed-Off_Orc wrote:
I wouldn't mind a remake, because I think there's a lot of promise there, but they'd have to fix a lot of the issues and not simply just recreate the visuals and sound. For one, stop the random encounters every five steps. It's just padding to make the game feel longer, but it's frustrating at hell. That's my main issue, really. And I suppose they could do a little more with the combat since JRPG combat has gotten more complex since FFVII came out.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy   FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 10:33 pm

Jack the Spectre wrote:
Sawed-Off_Orc wrote:
I wouldn't mind a remake, because I think there's a lot of promise there, but they'd have to fix a lot of the issues and not simply just recreate the visuals and sound. For one, stop the random encounters every five steps. It's just padding to make the game feel longer, but it's frustrating at hell. That's my main issue, really. And I suppose they could do a little more with the combat since JRPG combat has gotten more complex since FFVII came out.

A remake is too much of a tall order for a game such as FFVII. An HD remaster would be fine as long they don't do anything that would hurt the game. Basically what you're asking is to remove the last solution (grinding levels) if you cannot beat a boss due to lack of strategy or preparation. As much babies don't like it, random encounters are essential for leveling, money and materials for most JRPG's. What you should really be asking for is a feature that reduces the chance of random encounters (Bravery Default).

Last edited by 2Sugoi2Die on Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy   FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 12:12 pm

This isn't even a hard question. Personally, I've enjoyed the FF series over the years immensely, but let's try and take some bias out of it. Which series has had more impact in the gaming world? The answer is pretty clearly Final Fantasy.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy   FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 1:48 pm

Jack the Spectre wrote:
This is probably the toughest one you've done so far. I love Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy III, and I even enjoy Final Fantasy XIII in spite of the negative reviews. But XIII-2 was not very good and VII is realllly dated. Plus that Crystal Chronicle game for GameCube was yuck.

For consistency alone, I'd say The Elder Scrolls. I haven't disliked one of those (yet).

2Sugoi2Die wrote:
I have to go with Final Fantasy since the only TES game I like is Morrowind.

In the subject of Final Fantasy VII... FFVII was the first Final Fantasy game for a lot of people. Also have to take into account that it was the first Final Fantasy game to be in 3D with some rendered environments and on a next generation system at the time. A lot would agree that it is still a very playable game and still holds up well today. Unfortunately the fanbase that surrounds FFVII has become completely retarded over the years. I remember when it was largely argued that the movie Advent Children was the starting point where things started going wrong.

Now to Final Fantasy XIII... Obviously not a whole lot of people liked this game despite getting two squeals. It is generally argued among fans that XIII isn't the only worst Final Fantasy (usually a matter of opinion) but it is mostly agreed that XIII has no redeemable qualities. Surprising Lightning Returns is the most enjoyable game in the XIII series once you can get passed that whole time sensitive events like in the Dead Rising games. Yeah I made thread saying it was shit but my opinion of Lightning Returns greatly changed since then.

FFVII fan base is horrible. Years ago gamespot had a "All Time Greatest Game Villian" poll and there was a round between Sephiroth and General RAAM from Gears of War and 4Chan raided it and voted until RAAM barely won. It was a very lulzy day.

FFXIII holds an 83 on metacritic actually. I enjoyed it too actually but it had zero replay value and I ended up trading it. FFXIII-2 started out okay but went backwards and made battles random encounters instead of enemies walking around on screen for no reason. I remember there was one area where you got into a battle literally every 3 steps because the encounter rate was so ridiculously high. About halfway through I got completely sick of it and just powered through to finish it until I got to the last boss. I almost killed it and then it one shot me while everyone was at full health. I had no interest in grinding so I said fuck it and sent it back. (I was renting it from gamefly). I played Lightning Returns (also from gamefly) and gave up after a couple of hours Hope just fucking annoyed the shit out of me. The Christian Overtones were weird too. I thought the Fal'Cie were gods? But no there's one all powerful God that wasn't (or barely mentioned?) in the previous 2 games? Plus you basically fought the Pope in the first game so it didn't make much sense to me.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy   FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 6:33 pm

2Sugoi2Die wrote:
A remake is too much of a hall order for a game such as FFVII. An HD remaster would be fine as long they don't do anything that would hurt the game. Basically what you're asking is to remove the last solution (grinding levels) if you cannot beat a boss due to lack of strategy or preparation. As much babies don't like it, random encounters are essential for leveling, money and materials for most JRPG's. What you should really be asking for is a feature that reduces the chance of random encounters (Bravery Default).
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not against random encounters as a concept. But it happened far too often in FFVII to the point where it just seemed like the game was being padded to make it feel like it was a longer game than it was.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy   FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FRANCHISE WAR 4: The Elder Scrolls vs Final Fantasy
Page 1 of 1