Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?

Go down 
+7
Azazel
Orion
Jack the Spectre
2Sugoi2Die
Angelus
Mecha
Chobo
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? Empty
PostSubject: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 2:28 pm

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/10724-The-Most-Dangerous-Woman-in-Videogames-Anita-Sarkeesian

I was really hesitant to post this here because I really don't like this topic, or this article. But it brings up a good conversation. Some of us chat about her in the chatbox, but I figured I make a thread about her. For those who don't know, Anita Sarkeesian is the one who created the Tropes vs. Women in Video Games series. Ever since it was announced, gamers around the internet raged about it, and she kinda got alot of abuse over it.

At first, I supported this project. This is a good topic that needs to be discussed in the Video Game Industry, and gamer culture as a whole. This could be a good thing for the industry. But then the videos came out. Oh god, they are awful. Full of so many mistakes, fallicies, stolen gameplay footage, and a pure lack of knowlege about what she is talking about. But the problem is most people, including the author of this article and Sarkeesian herself, just lump any legitimate criticism of the project as just trolls and haters that abused her when the project was announced.

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? Stewie-Gun
Back to top Go down
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? ZDL7A4I
Stature : 342
Canada
Playing : Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy VII
Watching : Darksydephil

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 4:28 pm

She's just like the majority of modern western feminists who want to keep the advantages of women while seizing for themselves those of men. Her arguments are rooted in bull crap, and it's amazing there are actually people who take her seriously. Most of what she seems to do is nitpick at stuff she obviously has no understanding of (like Video Games, LEGO, marketing, markets, and audiences).

Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? 8nK2Nca
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 4:38 pm

I've heard of her before the whole Kickstarter thing. The kickstarter project was questionable from the start since she already has a nice setup for filming. In her defense, she only asked for $6000 but she been taking donations through Paypal for years.

I watched some of her older videos and I came to the conclusion that she is somewhat batsh!t crazy after watching her Lego and Bayonetta video. She didn't understand how much research it takes to understand the new market Lego was going into and she clearly didn't play Bayonetta. Not so long ago, she was exposed that she hasn't been this long term gamer she claims to be after an old video of her doing a presentation for uni/collage students saying that she wasn't into games and would like to get into them but she didn't like ripping off heads.

You can't just walk into a community or an industry and start demanding changes because you don't like something.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 9:08 pm

The Lego video is particularly annoying because first she complains that Lego doesn't market sets towards girls and then she complains when Lego markets sets towards girls that reflect what market research shows that girls like the most. If you want "girlier" Lego sets, fine. But if a girl doesn't like those sets, she can play with any of the other ones.

Anita likes running her mouth and complaining while squashing any legitimate debate. She's obnoxious.
Back to top Go down
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Canada

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 9:10 pm

Jack the Spectre wrote:
The Lego video is particularly annoying because first she complains that Lego doesn't market sets towards girls and then she complains when Lego markets sets towards girls that reflect what market research shows that girls like the most. If you want "girlier" Lego sets, fine. But if a girl doesn't like those sets, she can play with any of the other ones.

Anita likes running her mouth and complaining while squashing any legitimate debate. She's obnoxious.

She's really one of those "Show me anything, and I'll tell you how it's offensive," kind of people.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 8:31 pm

Angelus the Revenant wrote:
Jack the Spectre wrote:

She's really one of those "Show me anything, and I'll tell you how it's offensive," kind of people.
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
Back to top Go down
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Canada

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 9:02 pm

Jack the Spectre wrote:
Jack the Spectre wrote:

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

I'll give you an example.  Here, take this completely harmless unoffensive screenshot from the Persona 4 Anime:

Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? 10754442264_30b0d70042

Obviously, there's nothing insulting about this.  

But some crazies would argue that the girl is setting unrealistic beauty standards.  It also enforces the patriarchy, by portraying girls as a prize.  Just an object for men to win.

That, is the "Show me anything, and I'll tell you how it's offensive" kind of attitude.

Note: It could also be turned around to seem sexist towards males, racist, or in support of animal cruelty.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 11:05 pm

What, you don't think I'm smart enough to know what you're talking about? What the hell are you trying to say?
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 11:26 pm

It is offensive regardless if it's actually offensive or not.
Back to top Go down
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Canada

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 12:07 am

Jack the Spectre wrote:
What, you don't think I'm smart enough to know what you're talking about? What the hell are you trying to say?

Well, at first I didn't, but now I do.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 6:42 am

I shse doge
Back to top Go down
Azazel
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Azazel

Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? 5DfcoiC
Stature : 7
Equestria

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 11:51 pm

Ah yes, her. Part of me has been wondering what the logical point of this is that is defensible. But there are some problems here as we are all aware. Yes I am aware that most of you are aware of these already.

1-The point of the money to begin with.

This would be different if it was just making videos or content for sake of making it, anyone can do that. But the problem here is that money was requested and received to apparently make the project a success (allegedly). But thus far the is little evidence that the money went to anything in the videos, aside from the video editing software possibly being upgraded (which, while expensive, would not cost you anywhere near $6,000, let alone $153,000). There is also the issue of her stealing footage from other people's lets plays which brings forth the accusation that she did not actually play the games she is talking about or has been seen with. Another thing that comes from this was why she did not both getting a capture card, an HD PVR only costs around $200 and there are countless tutorials telling how to use it in 5-10 minutes if you can't figure it out.

There is also that she was only examining the stories of these games, which you don't actually need to play the games to do. In fact you could easily watch a walkthrough of the game online, or at the very least pretty much every game this gen has one. If the game is old or obscure enough to where you cannot find information on it and you must purchase it to look for information then I doubt it would be that helpful to her arguments since such a game was so old/obscure that no one currently bothers to give much acknowledgment to it's existence. Even if such a game has an undeniable example of pure, endorsed, and intended malevolent misogyny then it is more likely to be a one off example rather than an example of the "rampant sexism" of the game industry.

2-There is no real life correlation between the misogyny that is allegedly in media and sexual crime in real life (by reported statistics).

Or at the very least, not one that I could find, I even found the opposite. Anyway, surely if media (video games included of course) was intended to teach and/or spread misogyny then the numbers should be skyrocketing right? Well they haven't, in fact reported cases from 1997 to 2011 have been going down. For those who would rather have a TL:DR breakdown, in 1997 there were 15,889 cases, yet in 2011 there were 11,364 cases. With the exception of 2007 and 2008, that number was dropping. Ironically the percentage of men reporting harassment has gradually been going up (11.6% in 1997, 16.3% in 2011).

Alright, well what about possibly the most violent sexual crime (rape)? Well according to the FBI (from 1992 to 2011) the number of rapes is overall on the decrease. In 1992 there were 109,062 reported cases, yet in 2011 there were 83,425 reported cases.

What I am getting at with these is that, going by reported cases, the idea the media is teaching/encouraging misogyny (at least of the kinds mentioned here) does not appear to be supported at least from sources I have seen.

On a side note, it not true that trope uniquely against women in regards to tropes dealing with double standards, here is TV Tropes "Double Standard" page for more information.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 5:09 pm

Jack the Spectre wrote:

Well, at first I didn't, but now I do.
Racist.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 9:35 am

Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 10:06 am

Oh my fucking god that nose!!!
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 6:42 pm

She's a cunt, plain and simple.

She's a liar, she's a thief, she's a self-victimizer, she's judgemental, she's hypocritical, she's pretentious, she's ignorant, she's a flip-flopper, she's impossible to please, she's got double standards, she's completely unprofessional (doesn't even use any sources) and she's just a fucking stupid human being.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 6:53 pm

Sheesh.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 7:32 pm

I heard she appeared on some shitty American political comedy show or something
Back to top Go down
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Canada

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 7:55 pm

Sawed-Off_Orc wrote:
She's a cunt, plain and simple.

She's a liar, she's a thief, she's a self-victimizer, she's judgemental, she's hypocritical, she's pretentious, she's ignorant, she's a flip-flopper, she's impossible to please, she's got double standards, she's completely unprofessional (doesn't even use any sources) and she's just a fucking stupid human being.

She's a professional victim. Every time she gets targeted, she turns it into a civil rights issue. "Oh noez, I got a death threat... 100% unrefutable proof of patriarchy." I get about 7 death threats a day, don't see me whining about it (though if I made millions from whining about it I probably would).

I'm amazed people still take her seriously. All she does is feed her trolls, and complain about there being hookers in games. A typical liberal spokesperson.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 7:55 am

Apparently she couldn't name 3 games when ask for examples in some talk show. I got feeling that she is only really good at presentation and not good at arguing and addressing. She pretty much says the same things over and over again anytime she appears in an interview. She is a broken record.

I also wonder what kinds of things she talks about in her collage and university talks. Any kind of footage or sound recordings are rare since she doesn't allow any form of recording during her speeches.

Anyways, I was really hoping this would be swept under the rug like what happen with Movie Bob and Extra Credits.
Back to top Go down
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Canada

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 8:38 am

Comments disabled, lol.

You're right. She completely dances around the question. Kinda like a certain Politician who likes to crop graphs, and an actress who's now working for the UN. The games would have probably been things like Saints Row, Fallout, Bayonetta, Tomb Raider, Persona, Mario, Zelda, The Elder Scrolls, Drakengard, DanganRonpa, Harvest Moon, or GTA if she had actually prepared them beforehand.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 9:45 am

@Angelus Hey! You don't speak of Emma Watson that way or compare her with Anita! Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? 21888
Back to top Go down
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Canada

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 9:56 am

yonny616 wrote:
@Angelus Hey! You don't speak of Emma Watson that way or compare her with Anita! Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? 21888

People seemed to forget she was an actress when she did her UN speech. She doesn't really support her stance at all, she just knew how to get positive reactions. So she's still obviously leagues ahead of Anita, who pretty much only garners support from people who think Bayonetta is sexist and that men are all mass murderers, but still isn't all that respectable.

Al Gore is still the worst though... "guise... guise look... i cropt dese grafs... guise... im soopur serial guise... the globe is warmign bcuz of ur cars... my 3 mansins n privet jet have nuthn 2 do wif it doe..."
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2014 11:42 am

HURR DURR SHES A GIRL SO SHE MUSG BE EVIL!!!!1111

Fucking grow up guys, we aren't mysogonists or shitlords
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?   Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anita Sarkeesian. Cancer on the Industry?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next