Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade Empty
PostSubject: Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade   Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 11:07 am

Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade Micros12

Quote :
Like Xbox 360 before it, independent developers won’t be able to self-publish titles through Xbox Live on Xbox One, Microsoft has confirmed.

Xbox Live Indie Games will still allow indie devs the opportunity, but the sector on the system isn’t as large of a financial boon to developers as the Xbox Live Arcade section.

In order to release games through XBL Arcade, the developers must use a third-party publisher or get a publishing deal through Microsoft Game Studios.

“As of right now, we intend to continue to court developers in the ways that we have,” Matt Booty, general manager of Redmond Game Studios and Platforms, told Shacknews.

“I would also expect that for this new generation, that we’re going to continue to explore new business models and new ways of surfacing content. But Microsoft Studios is a publisher that works with a wide range of partners, as do a lot of other people, to bring digital content to the box.”

Sony and Nintendo currently allow developers to self-publish through PSN and eShop, and both – especially Sony with PS4 – have been supportive of indie developers, especially of late.

Source: VG247
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade   Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 11:10 am

Doesn't really mean much for me.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade   Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 11:18 am

RamboOnRedBull wrote:

Means a lot for small independent developers looking to make a splash in the industry. Microsft are acting like arrogant cunts with this new console. Failure written all over it.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade Z4pMElY

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade   Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 11:21 am

Stoney wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:

Means a lot for small independent developers looking to make a splash in the industry. Microsft are acting like arrogant cunts with this new console. Failure written all over it.

You're forgetting that this same rule also applied to the X360. And, BTW, The X360 had way better indie games than Sony's PS3.

Again, it's not like it's impossible for them to publish their games - But what do we get if their games suck? That's why they can do it with Microsoft's permission. Which is a better way to ensure that we get quality products, and not just some pictures cut together.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

The Gutter

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade   Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 11:30 am

Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade IHRtVCH

This, this isn't a positive AT ALL. Sony are going the same route as Steam with PS4 and Xbox are being their same, restrictive, expensive selves. There is a reason why so many PC indie games aren't on consoles, at the very least, Sony is going to rectify that.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/395340/jonathan-blow-on-why-the-witness-is-a-timed-ps4-exclusive/

Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade   Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 11:34 am

Stoney wrote:
Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade IHRtVCH

This, this isn't a positive AT ALL. Sony are going the same route as Steam with PS4 and Xbox are being their same, restrictive, expensive selves. There is a reason why so many PC indie games aren't on consoles, at the very least, Sony is going to rectify that.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/395340/jonathan-blow-on-why-the-witness-is-a-timed-ps4-exclusive/

You're forgetting that for every witnes game there are 5 billion indie games every day that are the same horseshit again and again.

You're also forgetting that witness is a timed exclusive. Meaning: It will come to MS' console some point in time as well. It's not like people will be missing out too much.

Then again, it all depends on how you view Microsoft's strategy.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

The Gutter

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade   Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade I_icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 12:21 pm

This isn't going to be like an iOS app store, it still has to go through quality assurance and be approved by Sony themselves though, they mentioned the opposite about tonnes of shite cluttering up your store, specifically mentioning the likes of the Apple store and what have you. You won't see that, they're just making it more affordable and accessible, vis a vis, Steam.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade   Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Xbox One won’t permit indie devs to self-publish through Xbox Live Arcade
Page 1 of 1