Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3

Go down 
+9
Bluenose
Based Sonji
NoelX2
Mr Canai Spy
Chobo
yonny616
Orc
Mecha
RamboOnRedBull
13 posters
AuthorMessage
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 Empty
PostSubject: Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3   Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 8:30 am

Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 TRa

Quote :
The recent reboot of the Tomb Raider franchise has been well met by many. Lara Croft’s new adventure has been compared numerous times with the Uncharted series, which itself was initially compared to earlier Tomb Raider games when it first came out. Now that the game is finally in our hands, we get to make the comparisons ourselves and see that there is quite a bit of difference between the two games/series. Ultimately, in my eyes, Tomb Raider has succeeded in outperforming the Uncharted series in a number of areas. For this article’s purpose, I’m comparing Tomb Raider to Uncharted 3, given that game is the latest evolution for that series.

Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons It’s Better Than Uncharted 3

5) Better Platforming

One of the major consistent arguments made against the Uncharted series is that the platforming sections are usually very linear and nigh impossible to fail. Very rarely do you ever die from the platforming sections in Uncharted 3. In Tomb Raider on the other hand, platforming is more interactive. You’re more likely to fail a platforming section in Tomb Raider and suffer for it. In addition, there are some moments where failing a platforming section results in Lara taking a different course through an obstacle, providing variety within the platforming aspects. Lara also gains extra skills and equipment to help her perform even more platforming maneuvers, whereas Nathan Drake never gains any new abilities over the course of Uncharted 3.

4) More Involving Characters

Don’t get me wrong here, I love the characters in the Uncharted universe. The problem arises when most of these characters only interact during cutscenes. Sometimes they interact with each other during gameplay moments, and these banter moments are great too, but Tomb Raider takes it a step further. Lara is constantly in contact with someone during her adventure. Whether friend or foe, helpful or annoying, there’s almost always someone around her. She also interacts with them outside of cutscenes, mainly with her walkie-talkie. An additional bonus to Tomb Raider is that during exploration, Lara comes across many diaries and documents featuring thoughts of either her travel mates or of the enemy. You gain more insight into these other characters and learn how they truly feel. This was a major problem in Uncharted 3, as the main villains in Uncharted 3 were sorely underdeveloped. Lara herself has little moments where she writes/talks for her own journal, again providing more insight into her character.

3) Seamless Open World

Tomb Raider takes place on an isolated island, reminiscent of Far Cry 3. The best thing about this is that the environment is seamless and your transition from one area to the next feels relevant. The island also reminds me of Dark Souls’ world, where areas are interconnected and Lara can traverse between areas that she has been before. The fast travel mechanic helping this concept significantly too. I always love seeing how game design relative to the environment gets unraveled in game. You, as the gamer, slowly get to see the vision within the game’s design by how the levels are created. In Uncharted 3, you don’t get this feeling as everything is linear and straight-forward. You never get to return to an area nor do you expand on the environment through exploration. It’s just one scene after another.

2) Better Cover System

Tomb Raider has an awesome cover system. No longer do you have to press a button to enter/exit cover, Lara does so automatically when she’s behind an obstacle like a wall. She’ll automatically peer over or to the sides of cover whenever you take aim to shoot too. Covering doesn’t make you invincible either. You really have to get up close to the wall to be in proper cover and even then, you can still be shot at from different angles should your enemy be in a good position. In Uncharted 3, the cover system is a mess. The problem arises by NOT having a button dedicated to entering/exiting cover. This button also maps to dodging. Countless amount of times I would accidentally enter cover when I wanted to dodge, and vice versa. You also have the issue of consistently entering/exiting/entering cover as delayed responses mean that you aren’t too sure whether Nathan is actually going to use cover or not, especially in the heat of battle.

1) Tighter Controls

This takes cue from the point above. By having a better button map to the gamepad, Tomb Raider becomes the better game from a gameplay perspective too. Controls feel intuitive and tight. Dodging works really well and allows you to regain control of Lara really quickly, meaning you’re more proactive during shootouts. The dodge and counter system is great too coupled with a much better melee system than in Uncharted 3. Uncharted 3′s essentially QTE melee moments was a weak point to the game. In Tomb Raider, you also gains skills throughout the game to increase your melee abilities and your countering abilities. Overall, Tomb Raider feels smoother in terms of gameplay.

So there you have it, 5 reasons Tomb Raider is better than Uncharted 3. Do you agree? Or do you feel that Uncharted 3 is the better game?

http://www.explosion.com/23752/tomb-raider-5-reasons-its-better-than-uncharted-3/
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3   Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 9:03 am

I'm interested to play it now.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3   Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 9:20 am

Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3   Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 9:47 am

Awesome. But then again, what games aren't better than Uncharted?
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3   Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 10:10 am

Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 725796345 Fishing for hits.
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3   Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 10:11 am

I guess I'll give it a shot. But better then my Uncharted, we'll have to see.
Back to top Go down
Mr Canai Spy
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Mr Canai Spy

Stature : 47
Weymouth
Playing : halo 5, rise of the tomb raider

PostSubject: Re: Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3   Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 11:23 am

I loved it better than what i expected and the multiplayer ain't half bad either
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3   Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 11:40 am

Metacritic scores...

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune... 88 out of 100
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves... 96 out of 100
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception... 92 out of 100

Tomb Raider... 86 out of 100

Yep, so much better than Uncharted. eye roll
Back to top Go down
NoelX2
Final Boss
Final Boss
NoelX2

Stature : 91
Playing : SF3

PostSubject: Re: Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3   Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 11:55 am

Mecha wrote:
Metacritic scores...

"It's not better because of muh metacritic scores hurr hurr durr durr.

Muh metacritic."

Have you ever heard of an opinion? To be blunt, you're narrow-minded.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XNoel2?feature=mhum
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3   Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 11:58 am

Mecha wrote:
Metacritic scores...

But I thought Uncharted 3 was better than Uncharted 2?

Quote :
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception obviously has a better story, better controllers, better multiplayer, etc.

You can nitpick all you want about the story and characters, but the relationship between Nathan Drake and Victor Sullivan was done much better than any of the three games. FACT.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3   Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 12:02 pm

Points 5 and 4 are ridiculous. You think Drake is Spider-Man when he jumps? Lara pretty much flies. Also, the only engaging character IS Lara.

Seamless open world is a joke. The only thing open about this game is the ability to fast travel back to other linear parts in the game, similar to Uncharted's "Replay A Chapter" thing.

Last edited by Greg Jennings on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3   Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 12:06 pm

I'ma just have to leave this here again.....

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3   Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 12:14 pm

Nah, Rambro. Uncharted 2 is obviously better. Even though Uncharted 3 was vastly superior, it has it's problems. And we all know, Uncharted 2 had no problems what's so ever. Because it's such a PERFECT game.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3   Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 12:35 pm

bitches please, disgaea is where it's at
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3   Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 2:08 pm

Teckno wrote:
I'ma just have to leave this here again.....

Spoiler:

HAHAHA Oh god yes!

Back to top Go down
CernaMLD
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader

Stature : 21

PostSubject: Re: Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3   Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 2:53 pm

Eh. Played it on PC and don't really feel like going back to it. Not sure if it's because Uncharted set the bar so high that any other game trying to be like it simply won't be good enough or because gaming on the PC is fucking boring and a complete chore.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3   Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 5:39 pm

Better than Uncharted 3? NOPE sorry. Try again
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Ikreviews
Villager
Villager

Stature : 0

PostSubject: Re: Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3   Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 6:55 pm

The game is awesome. Definitely better than Uncharted.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3   Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 7:05 pm

CernaMLD wrote:
Eh. Played it on PC and don't really feel like going back to it. Not sure if it's because Uncharted set the bar so high that any other game trying to be like it simply won't be good enough or because gaming on the PC is fucking boring and a complete chore.

My mate owns it and I tried it out today. Launched the game and played it the same way it runs on the console, with a controller, except with better graphics and a high framerate.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3   Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 3:00 pm

I own it and have finally downloaded it on my PC.

My god! On Ultra settings it is truly beautiful. One of the most visually stunning games I have ever played. I mean the attention to detail is glorious. Even individual strands of hair on Lara's head have their own physics.
in-engine screenshot I took.
Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 Kvp6ypU

Aside from graphics, the core gameplay doesn't feel as restrictive as Uncharted. Furthermore, you have a massive island to explore, and can do so at your own leisure, yet in spite of how ambitious it is, there are still countless vistas and impressive dynamic set pieces.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3   Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tomb Raider: 5 Reasons it's Better than Uncharted 3
Page 1 of 1