Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs

Go down 
+5
Mr Canai Spy
Stigma
The Enkindler
Mecha
Jack the Spectre
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs Empty
PostSubject: Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs   Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 8:49 pm

Quote :
The videogame industry has changed over the last decade. The introduction of web based games has taken the multiplayer experience out of the living room and created a world full of communities that share a passion for gaming. One further change over the last 5 years is the introduction of social media outlets.

Not only can people play games together across the globe, but after they're done they can talk about the games, and even share game plays on various outlets such as Youtube. This has become so popular that people actually make a living off of sharing game plays, becoming some what “celebrities” within their respected communities.

Some popular games may not have even been with out this powerful tool. Minecraft, Day Z, Slender Man, Amnesia all gained their popularity within the Youtube gaming community, further proving the power of the internet.

So leave it up to Microsoft to mess with a good thing. Microsoft will now be making a select group of games inept from being monetized on Youtube and other outlets. The games that fit this category are:

• Halo (all versions)
  • Forza Motorsport (all versions)*
  • Fable (all versions)
  • Kinectimals
  • Kinect Adventures
  • Kinect Joy Ride
  • Age of Empires (all versions)
  • Flight Simulator (all versions)*
  • Kameo
  • Perfect Dark Zero
  • Project Gotham Racing (all versions)*
  • Shadowrun
  • Viva Piñata

http://www.examiner.com/article/microsoft-removes-halo-4-forza-others-from-monetization-on-youtube

Basically, the article is saying that if you put up gameplay footage of any of the intellectual properties listed above on YouTube, you're in deep shit if you make money off of it. Feel free to post gameplay, but you're not allowed to make any ad revenue off of it.

Well this sucks.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs   Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 9:48 pm

Oh dear, not Kinectimals and Viva Piñata. How will I ever pay the bills now.
Back to top Go down
The Enkindler
Endgame Boss
Endgame Boss

Stature : 86
Greece
Playing : Plenty of games, and I can't count them.

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs   Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 10:55 pm

If you are a partner on YouTube, you need to have ads enabled if you want to make money off videos, disabling the ads of Halo 4 walkthrough videos for example should keep you out of trouble.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/azazel166
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs   Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 12:12 am

I don't think this will stop the "free advertisement" since people will post gameplay footage even if they don't get payed for it.
Back to top Go down
Mr Canai Spy
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Mr Canai Spy

Stature : 47
Weymouth
Playing : halo 5, rise of the tomb raider

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs   Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 3:06 am

Fair enough
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs   Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 4:02 am

In all honesty Microsoft are not forcing them to stop making gameplay video´s, just that they are not getting any money from it. Which is reasonable in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs   Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 12:49 pm

I say that's fair, but I just hope that it doesn't catch on and other companies start using this policy as well.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs   Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 1:39 pm

Sounds okay.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs   Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 1:51 pm

and nothing of value was lost
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs   Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 3:18 pm

I can't say I'm surprised at the indifference since you guys don't do gameplay videos. I don't either, but I can imagine how much it sucks that Microsoft is okay with you giving them free advertisement but won't let Google pay you for your work.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs   Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 3:34 pm

And all this time I thought making gameplay videos was for fun.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs   Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 3:36 pm

Mecha wrote:
Of course it is, but it's also work. Many people rely on money from YT partnership in order to fund their videos. Can't buy new games to record if you're not making money off of the ones you're already playing.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs   Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 3:44 pm

TheCinemaJack wrote:
Mecha wrote:
Of course it is, but it's also work. Many people rely on money from YT partnership in order to fund their videos. Can't buy new games to record if you're not making money off of the ones you're already playing.

According to Hutch's video, it's always been like that and nothing has changed, or did I miss something in said video?
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs   Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 3:52 pm

Stoney wrote:
TheCinemaJack wrote:
Mecha wrote:

According to Hutch's video, it's always been like that and nothing has changed, or did I miss something in said video?
That's always been in their TOS but it was never enforced until now. Which I get, we signed it so we must abide and we're lucky they let it go for so long, but it's still a lame policy.
Back to top Go down
CernaMLD
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader

Stature : 21

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs   Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 3:48 pm

Microsoft flags videos from their own channels now. LOL

Back to top Go down
The Enkindler
Endgame Boss
Endgame Boss

Stature : 86
Greece
Playing : Plenty of games, and I can't count them.

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs   Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Wow, this is pathetic in every way, couldn't they just delete the videos instead of flagging them, since They uploaded them in the first place?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/azazel166
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs   Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 4:46 pm

LOL WTF?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs   Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Microsoft to Block Monetization of Videos of IPs
Page 1 of 1