Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3

Go down 
+4
The Enkindler
Mecha
Jack the Spectre
yonny616
8 posters
AuthorMessage
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3 PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3 Empty
PostSubject: Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3   Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2012 8:15 pm

I'm starting to doubt on the chances of a PS4, even though their gaming is some-what profitable.
Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3 105744
Quote :
Sony has not been doing well. It's suffered four straight years of financial losses and the results for the first quarter this financial year aren't any better. Game sales only added to the dirge this time out; PSP handheld, PS3, and game sales were all down. The PS Vita portable was the sole bright spot, but the money generated there was by no means enough to offset other gaming losses. Future game sales estimates have been revised downward, and according to a Sony spokesman "for the rest of the fiscal year we are taking a cautious view of the market."

During the August 2nd investor conference call, when asked directly whether the results had anything to with the Vita performing below expectations, the response from Sony's senior staff was that "currency movements" alone were to blame. It costs too much to buy Yen these days, which means that Sony's Japanese products - robust sellers though they may be - can't make the margins that had originally been forecast. When asked what changes would be made to offset this loss in future quarters the Sony men said research and development and marketing would take a hit, but refused to go into any great detail as to what cuts would be made. The Sony execs weren't at all keen to break down Vita sales comparisons against other Sony systems, and this reluctance might indicate that currency movements were not the only problem in the first quarter.

Sony's supporting documentation cites "lower sales of hardware and software of the PSP and PlayStation3" as the main reason for the game sales loss. All told, there was an operating loss of $45 million in the quarter, which represents a 14.5% year-on-year drop for their game sales. When Kaz Hirai was brought in as Sony's CEO it was hoped that he could turn things around, and he said at the time that "if we don't turn this around, we could be sitting in some serious trouble." Now he knows just how much trouble Sony is in.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118856-Sony-Losing-Money-on-PSP-PS3
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3 XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3   Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2012 8:59 pm

A PS5 may not happen, but the PS4 definitely will. Sony's probably built a working model by now, no way they'd just scrap that after putting so much money into it.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3 R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3   Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2012 9:05 pm

How the fuck are they losing money on the PSP?
Back to top Go down
The Enkindler
Endgame Boss
Endgame Boss

Stature : 86
Greece
Playing : Plenty of games, and I can't count them.

PostSubject: Re: Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3   Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2012 10:04 pm

Mecha wrote:
How the fuck are they losing money on the PSP?
Low hardware and software sales.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/azazel166
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3   Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2012 10:21 pm

But I thought the PSP was selling well? It's been out since 2005 and it still losing money? WTF? Isn't like the PSP selling way more than the Xbox 360? This just doesn't make sense.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3   Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2012 11:04 pm

I agree with TRF. No way they are going to cancel the PS4.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3 StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3   Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 3:41 am

Consoles are always sold at a loss. They make money back from software sales.
Back to top Go down
Mr Canai Spy
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Mr Canai Spy

Stature : 47
Weymouth
Playing : halo 5, rise of the tomb raider

PostSubject: Re: Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3   Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 5:40 am

^for the first couple of years then chips become cheaper and companies make a little profit, unfortunately for Sony it hasn't for the ps3 and every year they lost mony on it.
Back to top Go down
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
igame

Stature : 39
in front of computer
Playing : comedy

PostSubject: Re: Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3   Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 6:33 am

We need companies to have competition, lets pray that Sony does not get out of
the gaming business.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3   Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 6:49 am

I don't think Sony will leave the gaming industry if anything happens. They'll probably stop making consoles and go third-party.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3 XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3   Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 8:10 am

Their problem is that they're doing too much. They continued to push the PSP even though the PS3 was last place and then they did the PS Vita, all the while struggling with the PS3 still.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3   Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sony Losing Money on PSP, PS3
Page 1 of 1