Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Xbox 360 ban: Microsoft rejects Motorola settlement

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
The Enkindler
Endgame Boss
Endgame Boss

Stature : 86
Greece
Playing : Plenty of games, and I can't count them.

Xbox 360 ban: Microsoft rejects Motorola settlement Empty
PostSubject: Xbox 360 ban: Microsoft rejects Motorola settlement   Xbox 360 ban: Microsoft rejects Motorola settlement I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 6:39 pm

Xbox 360 ban: Microsoft rejects Motorola settlement Screenshot_276383_thumb_wide940
Quote :
The Xbox firm is feverishly trying to escape one of the most disastrous legal rulings imposed on the company in its thirty-seven-year history, after the International Trade Commission (ITC) was advised in May to ban the import and sale of Xbox 360 systems in the United States unless the dispute was settled.
At the heart of the legal war is a patented Motorola Mobility technology - called ActiveSync - that Microsoft uses across a number of devices and technologies such as Windows 7, Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player and Xbox 360 S.

In its settlement offer, Motorola Mobility has asked for a royalty of 2.25 per cent on each Xbox sale, and $0.50 per copy of Windows, that use its patented technology. Microsoft has rejected this offer, though the company is running out of room for negotiation.

In April, Judge David Shaw said Microsoft should be handed a cease-and-desist order on sales of Xbox 360 Slim consoles across America unless the dispute was settled. He claimed that Microsoft should also be banned from importing the console from China, and pay Motorola Mobility 7 per cent of the value of any unsold systems remaining in US stores.

The ITC commissioners can either allow the initial determination stand, or amend certain terms, or send it back for a rewrite. If Shaw's recommendation is enacted, President Barack Obama will have 60 days to review the decision.

Apple and Activision are two of several US firms opposing the ITC's recommendation to ban Xbox 360 in the US on the basis of a complex patent dispute.
The legal war between Microsoft and Motorola Mobility - fought in courtrooms in Germany, the US and an ITC panel - has proven to be extraordinarily expensive for both parties. A Seattle judge recently claimed that attorney fees already spent "could finance a small country".

Microsoft alleges that Motorola Mobility breached contract by demanding "unreasonable licensing fees" for use of the patents. It argued that it would have needed to spend some $4 billion each year to cover licensing costs.

Motorola's counter-claim is that Microsoft gave up its right to negotiate on the royalty rate as soon as it began lawsuit action.

In April, a court in Germany declared Microsoft consoles should be banned across the country. This verdict will not come into effect until the US lawsuit is concluded.

Microsoft, which has defied all major outcomes of the case, has warned the ITC that banning Xbox 360 across the US would not serve the public interest, because it would leave the market with a choice between PlayStation 3 and Nintendo's Wii.

Shaw rejected the argument, claiming that enforcing intellectual property rights takes precedence.

Most Xbox 360s in the US are imported from China - a business practice considered vital in driving down production costs.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/354709/xbox-360-ban-microsoft-rejects-motorola-settlement/
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/azazel166
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 ban: Microsoft rejects Motorola settlement   Xbox 360 ban: Microsoft rejects Motorola settlement I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 7:56 pm

this could end very badly for MS. not that i give a shit about them. i hope they get whats coming to them.
Back to top Go down
Dam_Noir
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Dam_Noir

Stature : 39
England

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 ban: Microsoft rejects Motorola settlement   Xbox 360 ban: Microsoft rejects Motorola settlement I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 8:27 am

M$ are penny pinching fucks so it hardly suprises me that they were refusing to pay out royalties.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/theblacknapalm
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Xbox 360 ban: Microsoft rejects Motorola settlement XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 ban: Microsoft rejects Motorola settlement   Xbox 360 ban: Microsoft rejects Motorola settlement I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 11:18 am

There's too much at risk for Microsoft to go forward with this suit. A settlement sucks but it might be the only way Microsoft can hold onto their brand.
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 ban: Microsoft rejects Motorola settlement   Xbox 360 ban: Microsoft rejects Motorola settlement I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 7:20 am

I don't see how MS have ANY room for negotiation let alone "running out of room".

Microsoft...you are using someones tech...you have to pay royalties for it. That's the way shit works, being a massive rich corporation does not change the law for you.

I hope they continue with their course of refusing to pay though and get hit with a hefty penalty...might make them wind their fucking necks in a bit.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 360 ban: Microsoft rejects Motorola settlement   Xbox 360 ban: Microsoft rejects Motorola settlement I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Xbox 360 ban: Microsoft rejects Motorola settlement
Page 1 of 1