Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Games studios 'spared' in Sony mass-layoff plan

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Games studios 'spared' in Sony mass-layoff plan PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

Games studios 'spared' in Sony mass-layoff plan Empty
PostSubject: Games studios 'spared' in Sony mass-layoff plan   Games studios 'spared' in Sony mass-layoff plan I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 11:46 pm

Sony leaving the gaming industry? :fuckthat:
Quote :
Chemicals, TV, sales and marketing to bear the brunt of global cut-backs
Sony will not bury the axe into its games division as the company prepares to slash some 10,000 jobs from its global entertainment empire, Develop understands.
Information of the company’s restructuring operation suggests that the television, marketing and chemicals business will bear the brunt of the cut-backs.
Sony declined to comment when approached by Develop.
Targeting a six per cent reduction of its workforce (about 10,000 employees), it is believed that Sony will remove about 5,000 workers through the sale of its chemicals and LCD business.
New CEO Kaz Hirai, who has a mandate to slash operating expenses by a third within twelve months, said that Sony’s focus will be on three divisions: Digital imaging, phones and games.
But within these sectors, certain jobs (particularly outside of development) are still expected to be vulnerable.
A new report published today on Brand Republic claims that Sony Europe will cut about 1,000 staff – predominantly in marketing and sales roles if their jobs are connected to weaker divisions of the business, such as TV, or if their role is duplicated elsewhere.
According to Brand Republic: “A Sony spokesperson has confirmed the official 90-day consultation is likely to heavily impact on sales and marketing-related roles as Sony seeks to cut-out ‘duplication’ as part of its new plan”.
Sony Computer Entertainment would not comment on the matter of downsizing its Europe marketing and sales arm.
The company is battling, and in some cases outright denying, rumours of layoffs at certain facilities such as a broadcast cameras factory in Pencoed.
Sony’s financial turmoil was laid bare when executives projected it would make a £4 billion loss for the financial year ending March 31st, a staggering cost that marks the company’s fourth year of red ink.
http://www.develop-online.net/news/40570/Games-studios-spared-in-Sony-mass-layoff-operation
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Games studios 'spared' in Sony mass-layoff plan   Games studios 'spared' in Sony mass-layoff plan I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 9:01 am

No chance of that, the videogame sector is one of their more profitable terms of revenue.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: Games studios 'spared' in Sony mass-layoff plan   Games studios 'spared' in Sony mass-layoff plan I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 9:07 am

yeah what Stoney said. But there may be cutbacks even within the gaming sector.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Games studios 'spared' in Sony mass-layoff plan   Games studios 'spared' in Sony mass-layoff plan I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 9:45 am

We'll see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Games studios 'spared' in Sony mass-layoff plan XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Games studios 'spared' in Sony mass-layoff plan   Games studios 'spared' in Sony mass-layoff plan I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 10:38 am

They're focusing on phones? Do people actually buy Sony phones?
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: Games studios 'spared' in Sony mass-layoff plan   Games studios 'spared' in Sony mass-layoff plan I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 11:34 am

Ive got one. So jew off and stop being so black about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Games studios 'spared' in Sony mass-layoff plan   Games studios 'spared' in Sony mass-layoff plan I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Games studios 'spared' in Sony mass-layoff plan
Page 1 of 1