Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games'

Go down 
+3
Jack the Spectre
Azazel
The Enkindler
7 posters
AuthorMessage
The Enkindler
Endgame Boss
Endgame Boss

Stature : 86
Greece
Playing : Plenty of games, and I can't count them.

Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games' Empty
PostSubject: Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games'   Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games' I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 2:57 pm

Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games' Deadspace3
Quote :
Chuck Beaver, story producer for the Dead Space franchise not a fan of Epic Games' space marine saga Gears of War.

Dead Space story producer Chuck Beaver has launched a scathing attack on Gears of War's narrative, describing it as contaning "literally the worst writing in games."

Asked whether story can ruin a good game, Beaver told EA's blog: "Story can only ruin a game for those people who care about story, so it's a conditional answer. For instance, Gears of War. It contains atrocious, offensive violations of story basics. Yet it doesn't seem to ruin it for many, many people. It's literally the worst writing in games, but seems to have no ill effects."

Gears of War 3 writing team was led by novellist Karen Traviss whose previous output includes various Star Wars, Gears of War and Halo novels.

Beaver was more partial to Valve's Portal, which he feels "succeeds at least as much on its writing as its masterful platformer level design."

Beaver conceded however that gamers, like film goers, have diverse tastes. "Some people like brainless Michael Bay stuff, others hate it. The same thing will apply to us."
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1329981/dead_space_story_dev_gears_of_war_has_literally_the_worst_writing_in_games.html
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/azazel166
Anonymous

Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games'   Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games' I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 3:04 pm

Sounds like someone is pretty insecure about his own franchise. Its pretty funny tho considering dead's space story writing is extremely generic aswell. Its just an overused sci-fi space story stolen from tons of movies and the game always ends up resorting to cheap scary tricks in a hope to make it more engaging. While granted the storyline of gears is not the greatest, this guy has nothing to say about gears with a game like that.
Back to top Go down
Azazel
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Azazel

Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games' 5DfcoiC
Stature : 7
Equestria

PostSubject: Re: Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games'   Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games' I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 3:15 pm

Attacking one of the current sci-fi greats? Sorry, but I like Karen Travis, she is a pretty damn good sci-fi writer.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games' XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games'   Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games' I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 4:55 pm

Neither have particularly great stories but Gears of War's did engage me more than Dead Space's.
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ghost23

Stature : 11
Australia

PostSubject: Re: Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games'   Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games' I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 8:24 pm

You laugh at Epic's writing skills, Epic laughs at your bank account.
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games' 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games'   Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games' I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 9:01 pm

http://games.ign.com/articles/122/1223471p1.html

Sounds like they dun goofed. Now they're covering it up.
Back to top Go down
Franko
Area Boss
Area Boss
Franko

Stature : 20
Southern Fairy
Playing : Meh

PostSubject: Re: Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games'   Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games' I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 9:28 pm

Has everyone at EA just gone suddenly retarded in the past 5-6 months...
Back to top Go down
ArchAngel
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ArchAngel

Stature : 20
Heaven
Playing : Sarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games'   Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games' I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 11:40 pm

This dude should look at his own writing before critisizing Traviss's.Traviss has wrote the Wess'har series(I have not read it yet), Republic Commando series(EPIC series that Lucas Art completely ruined!", The Gears novels(which are very good) and Halo Glasslands.She is a damn good sci fi author and I have not seen anything special about dead space's writing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games'   Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games' I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dead Space Story Dev: Gears Of War Has 'Literally The Worst Writing In games'
Page 1 of 1