Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bethesda knew about PS3 issues pre-release

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

Bethesda knew about PS3 issues pre-release  Empty
PostSubject: Bethesda knew about PS3 issues pre-release    Bethesda knew about PS3 issues pre-release  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 10:08 pm

Quote :
Update: Bethesda has now issued a statement:

The team knew the PlayStation 3 version could run into a "bad memory situation" and they coded solutions that they felt would work – and in their tests the solutions did work. Post release a "small percentage" of users were still experiencing issues where it couldn't keep up, and the team went to work hard on solving it.

Speaking to Kotaku at the DICE summit in LA last week, Bethesda's Todd Howard has admitted that the publisher was aware of problems with the PS3 version of Skyrim before release, but thought that "only a small percentage" of players would be affected.

"The way our dynamic stuff and our scripting works, it's obvious it gets in situations where it taxes the PS3. And we felt we had a lot of it under control," Howard said, speaking about what he calls the "bad memory situation" on the platform. The intention, he goes on to explain, was to fix the game post-release, after developers noticed problems and were unable to tweak the code enough to solve them in time for the planned release date on 11th November last year.

The fact that people at Bethesda were aware of this so-called "bad memory situation" on PS3 before release and chose to release the game anyway, knowing that a percentage of PS3 players would encounter major problems, is pretty shocking – but the plan to fix things with a patch post-release should have rescued the publisher from controversy if things had gone to plan. When November's patch 1.2 did not fix the game for PS3 players, Bethesda went all-out to solve the problem, getting players to submit their individual save files and studying them prior to the release of patch 1.4 this month.

Howard reckons that PS3 issues should finally be fixed now, but he's cautious in his assertions. "Now that we've been through this, we're not naive enough to say, 'We have seen everything,' because we have to assume we haven't. There are still going to be some people who have to come back to us and say, 'Ok, my situation is this.' [We say:] 'OK, send us your saved game.' We literally need to look at what you have running… We need to open the saved game comes up and look at it."

It's easy to say that Bethesda should have delayed the release of the PlayStation 3 version of Skyrim until the developer was able to fix these known problems, but it's equally easy to see why that didn't happen. From Bethesda's point of view, delaying the release on one platform only could have angered the majority of PS3 gamers more than releasing a game with problems that only a "small percentage" of players would encounter - especially when the assumption was that these problems could be fixed quickly and easily with a post-release patch.

That assumption backfired, of course. It's obvious that Bethesda did not know (and could not have known) the extent of the problem until the game was out in the wild being played by millions of individual players with individual play habits.

"For certain users it literally depends on how they play the game, varied over a hundred hours and literally what spells they use. Did they go in this building?" explains Howard. "It's literally the things you've done in what order and what's running. Some of the things are literally what spells do you have hot-keyed? Because, as you switch to them, they handle memory differently."

Source: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1218881p1.html

Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Bethesda knew about PS3 issues pre-release    Bethesda knew about PS3 issues pre-release  I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 11:03 pm

At least they patched it. I still don't see how or why anyone would put more than 40-50 hours into this game. It's not as deep as everyone says it is..

EDIT:

Quite frankly, I didn't mean the game was bad. I just don't see where everyone is pulling the huge time played numbers from. The main quest is like 5 hours long.....
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: Bethesda knew about PS3 issues pre-release    Bethesda knew about PS3 issues pre-release  I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 8:20 am

"A small percentage of users"

AKA everyone who bought it.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Bethesda knew about PS3 issues pre-release  StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: Bethesda knew about PS3 issues pre-release    Bethesda knew about PS3 issues pre-release  I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 8:42 am

The_Biotic_God wrote:
At least they patched it. I still don't see how or why anyone would put more than 40-50 hours into this game. It's not as deep as everyone says it is..

EDIT:

Quite frankly, I didn't mean the game was bad. I just don't see where everyone is pulling the huge time played numbers from. The main quest is like 5 hours long.....
The idea is to somewhat create your own story for your character.

Anyways, games aren't as polished as they use to be.
Back to top Go down
d0nni3
Peon
Peon
d0nni3

Stature : 0
Playing : Sadistic

PostSubject: Re: Bethesda knew about PS3 issues pre-release    Bethesda knew about PS3 issues pre-release  I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:58 pm

The bullshit part of that statement is the fact that fallout 3 & NV both had the same problem! Them thinking that only a few people would experiance it is no fucking excuse they should have made sure it was lag free for everyone!

I love Bethesda's games but fuck me they couldn't make a game that runs perfectly to save there lives
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bethesda knew about PS3 issues pre-release    Bethesda knew about PS3 issues pre-release  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bethesda knew about PS3 issues pre-release
Page 1 of 1