Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" Empty
PostSubject: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 5:04 pm

http://geektyrant.com/news/steven-spielberg-says-superhero-movies-will-eventually-die-like-westerns

Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" ?format=1000w

Quote :
"I still feel that way. We were around when the Western died and there will be a time when the superhero movie goes the way of the Western. It doesn't mean there won't be another occasion where the Western comes back and the superhero movie someday returns."

He further clarified by saying:

"I'm only saying that these cycles have a finite time in popular culture. There will come a day when the mythological stories are supplanted by some other genre that possibly some young filmmaker is just thinking about discovering for all of us."

Quite an obvious thing when one looks at the history of cinema, but some people cry when you tell them this... *Cough*. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 5:29 pm

I don't know? Difference is, the superhero genre is WAY more successful than the Western genre, and any other genres out there, has ever been. Also the superhero genre is a very diverse genre. It has genres with in a genre. It's not just the typical superhero vs. supervillain formula that we always use to see. Just look at next year for example. We're getting a meta film about a wise-cracking mercenary, an iconic superhero fighting another iconic superhero, a political thriller, a Dirty Dozen-style film with supervillains, and a movie about a Cajun anti-hero. So next year is really where they mix up the genre a bit, and it's probably going to continue that way for some time.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 5:42 pm

Mecha wrote:
I don't know? Difference is, the superhero genre is WAY more successful than the Western genre, and any other genres out there, has ever been. Also the superhero genre is a very diverse genre. It has genres with in a genre. It's not just the typical superhero vs. supervillain formula that we always use to see. Just look at next year for example. We're getting a meta film about a wise-cracking mercenary, an iconic superhero fighting another iconic superhero, a political thriller, a Dirty Dozen-style film with supervillains, and a movie about a Cajun anti-hero. So next year is really where they mix up the genre a bit, and it's probably going to continue that way for some time.

Westerns had bigger attendances and more movies in a year than there has been superhero movies in three-straight years.

Also, yet again, Westerns also had genres within genres. You had more drama-heavy westerns and then you had westerns about the lack of westerns, and then you had westerns that were serial-killer mysteries, and then you had westerns that more iconic than any superhero movies have been, and then you had westerns that were spoofs of westerns, and then you had movies about characters who think they're in westerns, and then you had westerns that were flat-out slapstick, and then you had westerns that were character-pieces, and then you had westerns that had religious mythologies to them, etc.

You're also forgetting that the same thing happened to Noir films from the 1940s-1950s, and the same thing happened to Gangster films from the 1930s (which have gotten revived since the 1990s), and then you're forgetting that the same thing happens every couple of decades. But I'm starting to believe that it isn't "you forgot it", but rather that you don't know it. Well, you know now.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 8:05 pm

Superheroes will go away, even now some people are having fatigue and complaining that there are too many superhero films. Though I don't think comic book movies will go the same due to there being a huge variety of different comics that aren't just superheroes.

Also @Mecha, a movie with a superhero and villain, no matter how you dress it, is still the same old superhero vs villain.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 8:19 am

Whatever. I don't even care enough to argue about this topic anymore. It is what it is.

Oh, and it would be really awesome if Neo-Noir had their Golden Age as well. Now THAT would be fucking amazing!
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 7:27 pm

I'm tired of these anti-superhero movie comments from other filmmakers. And this is coming from someone who prefer the smaller films over the the blockbuster movies. Do I think the superhero genre will die? No. Do I think we will see less of them in the future? Maybe. What I believe will happen is that some superheroes will have a declining popularity, and won't be worth making stand-alone movies anymore. While superheroes like Batman and Spider-Man will still have strong legs to continue on carrying out these franchises. So it depends in your sense on how the superhero genre will fade away. Because honestly, I don't think they'll ever go away. Here's the problem with comparing the superhero genre to the Western genre: The superhero genre follows the exact same formula as any other blockbuster movie, and there are thousands and thousands of material to adapt from these superhero movies. So the studios are never going to run out of ideas. It's kinda like how in Toy Story where Buzz Lightyear was more popular than Woody. Why? Because the sci-fi genre is more popular than the western genre, and that still continues to be true. And that's basically what superhero movies are, sci-fi movies. Yes, they have superheroes in them, but so what? Almost every blockbuster movie has some kind of superhuman protagonist. Star Wars has a Jedi, The Terminator has Terminator, and The Matrix has Neo. So the superhero movies are really no different from other blockbuster movies. If big summer blockbuster movies can continue to be popular, then I don't see why the same can't happen for superhero movies?
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 8:49 am

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/25/mark-millar-thinks-superhero-movies-have-at-least-5-good-years-left?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm_content=25&utm_campaign=Blogroll

Quote :
Everything has to end at some point. [Laughs] We're just going to be atoms. It's inevitable. I think [the superhero movie genre has] got at least another good five years. The stuff that's coming up is so strong.

“I think a lot of filmmakers are waiting for this to end, too, because they hate it. I love superhero movies, but I know loads of people who hate them. There's an actress back in the UK who said last week that if she has to watch another Spider-Man movie, she's going to hang herself. [Laughs] They are aimed at a specific audience. I'm just glad that audience is me because I love it. It's brilliant. It's amazing.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 6:28 pm

Honestly, I just think people were disappointment by superhero movies this year. Next year should be a bit of a game changer with superheroes fighting other superheroes, a certain wall-crawler making his first appearance in the MCU, a movie about supervillains, a meta comic book movie about a wise-cracking mercenary, and a more horror-theme comic book movie about sorcerer. If all of these movies are at least good, then the fatigue will die down a bit.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 4:34 pm

Quote :
"As long as the ones that we can control are as good as they can be, that's all that I care about. I think we've been doing pretty well. I'm very confident in the films we've announced that we have coming forward that they're going to be surprising and different and unique. I've said a lot: I don't believe in the comic book genre. I don't believe in the superhero genre. I believe that each of our films can be very different.

When prompted specifically about Spielberg's "way of the Western" quote, Feige didn't seem to consider the prediction a negative implication. "It could, but the Western lasted 40-50 years, and they still pop up occasionally," he said. "It's been, what, eight years since Iron Man 1 if we count that, which I do, as the beginning of our MCU? Maybe [the superhero genre] will only last another 42 years."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/01/marvels-kevin-feige-responds-to-steven-spielberg-zack-snyder-superhero-genre-comments?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm_content=5&utm_campaign=Blogroll
Back to top Go down
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
igame

Stature : 39
in front of computer
Playing : comedy

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 10:22 pm

They are just jelly that the MCU is the longest running movie universe and Avengers movies making loads of money.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2015 10:43 pm

Why the hell are people acting as if the comic book genre is new? We've been having comic book movies for almost 40 YEARS now, and they are still going strong. -__-

Also comparing it to the western genre is silly, because the superhero genre is mixed with other genres. I don't care if there's other genres within the western genre as well. It's still not as diverse as the superhero genre. When you see a western movie, you KNOW it's a western movie. Where as the superhero genre, you wouldn't know unless it said Marvel Studios or DC at the beginning. Do you see Blade as a superhero? Do you see Guardians of the Galaxy as superhero? Do you see Doctor Strange as a superhero? I mean, technically they are "superheroes", but you can say the same about any protagonist that appears in a big summer blockbuster movie. So saying that the superhero genre will fade away, is like saying big budget commercial movies will fade away as well. It's silly.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 1:51 pm

Quote :
Brad Bird: "No, it reinforced my original belief, which is the powers themselves are not that interesting, it’s the people that are interesting and how they react to having those powers. While I agree with Spielberg’s assessment that there are way too many superhero movies right now, I’m basically sticking with the approach that I had on the movie we did, which is that it’s really about the characters than it is about bursting through walls or something like that."
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 3:03 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Quote :
Brad Bird: "No, it reinforced my original belief, which is the powers themselves are not that interesting, it’s the people that are interesting and how they react to having those powers. While I agree with Spielberg’s assessment that there are way too many superhero movies right now, I’m basically sticking with the approach that I had on the movie we did, which is that it’s really about the characters than it is about bursting through walls or something like that."

You can say the same about any superhero movie. -____-
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 3:08 pm

Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Quote :

Gee, if I knew you were THIS horny, I'd recommend some FAP FAP for ya. I love you
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 3:15 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Quote :

Gee, if I knew you were THIS horny, I'd recommend some FAP FAP for ya. I love you

Wink
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 3:19 pm

Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Quote :

Wink

Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" 4ttm9l
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 8:52 pm

Even if the superhero genre dies down a bit at some point, it will just rebound again down the road.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2015 2:19 pm

Quote :
“I don’t really go and see the capeshit movies I’ll be honest with you” he explained. “They look like science projects. They’re not movies, they’re science projects – computers made those movies!” - John Waters.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2015 3:50 pm

Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" 3a69ff10
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2015 6:43 pm

Rose McGowan QUITS acting due to "Boring capeshit movies"

Quote :
“Thoughts on the current state of tent pole films aka capeshit. I’d like to petition for other stories to be added to the slate,” wrote McGowan. “Where are the human stories? I don’t want green goblins and tight outfits. I want intelligence, daring work that drives society forward. I want a mirror, not every cliché regurgitated ad nauseum.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2015 7:00 pm

Looks like she's upset that she hasn't getting much juicy roles lately. Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" 2505020059
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2015 7:19 pm

Mecha wrote:
Looks like she's upset that she hasn't getting much juicy roles lately. Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" 2505020059

I couldn't take her comment about "intelligent" movies seriously, considering she's worked on Machete Kills, Charm and even Conan the Barbarian. It comes across as quite hypocritical to me.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2015 8:46 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:

I couldn't take her comment about "intelligent" movies seriously, considering she's worked on Machete Kills, Charm and even Conan the Barbarian. It comes across as quite hypocritical to me.

IKR! It's like Hayden Christensen quitting acting because the capeshit genre is a popular thing now. What's even more funny is that actual Oscar-worthy actors are actually more open to do capeshit movies, yet she thinks she is too good for them? lol! GTFO!
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2015 10:28 am

Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:

IKR! It's like Hayden Christensen quitting acting because the capeshit genre is a popular thing now. What's even more funny is that actual Oscar-worthy actors are actually more open to do capeshit movies, yet she thinks she is too good for them? lol! GTFO!

To Hayden's defense, he did star as the lead in Shattered Glass. A good film with a pretty decent performance IMO.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2015 1:03 pm

She quit acting because of comic book films? What? I hadn't realized these were the only films that the film industry was producing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"   Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did" I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spielberg: "Superhero Movies will Fade Away like Westerns did"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next