Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

10 REASONS WHY...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

10 REASONS WHY... Empty
PostSubject: 10 REASONS WHY...   10 REASONS WHY... I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2015 11:41 am

DESIGN
Fresh out of the box, the PSP had a near-perfect design. With its screen big enough to make long-stretches of games and films easy on the eyes, and a control scheme almost replicating that of a Playstation controller, yet somehow it was all condensed into a modest sized handheld that could fit snugly in your pocket. And yet it still felt comfortable in the hand even after long periods of time, due to its ergonomic shape...unlike its competitor. The next few redesigns did not overhaul the system, they just touched up certain bits such as a longer battery life, a slightly more vivid screen, simpler UMD tray, etc. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
They did however bring out the PSP Go which was an excellent alternative for those that wanted an even smaller design, for smaller hands, closer to the size of your average mobile phone, but with a stylish sliding screen mechanism that made it even more convenient. And in spite of it being tiny, it still had a bigger screen than the DS AND the 3DS, with a higher resolution than either one. That's what I call future proofed.
10 REASONS WHY... Z8Q2Osf

SUSPEND & RESUME

Though only available on the Go model, this feature merits a mention as it is utterly incredible. What this feature lets you do is pause your game at any point, then do whatever you like including web browse, watch videos or even play an entirely different game and, then still be able to return to that last game at the exact precise moment you left it at.
The xbox one has a similar feature but it isn't anywhere near as elegant or convenient as this. No other console lets you pause a game and play another.
10 REASONS WHY... D2OFzSG

HOMEBREW
Anyone with a hacked PSP could reap numerous benefits. Free games were only the tip of the iceberg. How about user-created indie games like the unofficial Halo sequel, Halo Solitude and the Turok inspired game: Kurok or even the Quake engine based zombie game named Left 4 Quake? Some really ambitious projects blossomed from the PSP homebrew scene.
10 REASONS WHY... Rh90TEO

MODS
You don't have to be part of the PC master race to get mods. The PSP master race got a bunch of its own. The PSP modding scene allowed us to turn our GTA protagonist into superman, it allowed us to import new characters into Dissidia Final Fantasy, including Kimahri Ronso who I always wanted to play as, and even allowed us to get rid of the censors in the previously banned Manhunt 2, making the modded PSP version, arguably the most violent game ever.
10 REASONS WHY... MhvY9ro

TRANSLATION PROJECTS
Very often in the gaming industry, the west gets shafted by Japanese game devs and publishers, in spite of the overwhelming support for game localization. The PSP userbase was unique in this regard as we had many skilled people who got into the code for a number of these games and translated them for us people that don't speak the Japanese tongue. Some of these games that got unofficial translation were big titles like Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, Final Fantasy Type 0, the expanded version of Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep and Valkyria Chronicles 3. To non-PSP gamers, these games simply didn't exist. But to us, these are some of the best handheld games ever made.
10 REASONS WHY... GSeceGa

MULTIMEDIA
It breaks my heart that comics were removed from the store. But for a while the PSP did what you previously needed a much-more-expensive smartphone to do; it allowed the purchase and the reading of digital comics directly from your device, and gave you a beautiful cover-flow interface to sift through your collection. Underrated feature. But anyway, I'll stop lamenting and will praise the rest of the multimedia; including music listening, video-watching, web browsing, image viewing, photo-taking (providing you have the camera add-on), etc. Comics were just a really unexpected one but these are all a testament to how much option this handheld gave you. The PSP replaced my 256MB mp3 player for my bus trips to school back in the day. I could fit all my Green Day, Muse, Papa Roach, Nirvana, Deep Purple and Iron Maiden albums on it! And..ahem... dragonforce and system of a down... I know, I'm more ashamed of that than I am about the others.
10 REASONS WHY... 7F4yHRC

UMD FILMS
People complained about the UMD format, and sure it wasn't the best, but these offered around 2GB to game developers and were less likely to get scratched like regular cds/dvds due to the shell casing. However what was really cool was the option to buy from several hundred films on this physical media. I think every PSP owner at some point owned at least one umd movie. The beautiful part about it is that it wasn't forced upon you, you could still copy digital films onto your stick, but UMD films were a viable and affordable option. There's the issue that it's not a universal media, but at the same time if you were planning a long train journey, a portable version of your favourite film wasn't a bad idea, and you didn't have to delete games to make space.
10 REASONS WHY... BOJhyOO

EMULATORS
Aside from the fact that PSP was backwards compatible with PS1 games, which is an astounding achievement, considering the competition was only backwards compatible with the Game Boy Advance, after being hacked, the PSP was a QUALITY console emulator, allowing the user to play just about any pre-6th generation PS1, NES, SNES, Megadrive, Genesis, GBC, GBA, Atari, DOS, etc... aside from the N64 games which usually had bad framerates, these games all ran perfectly! If you hate playing pokemon on your phones touchscreen and draining its battery... the PSP will save you here.
10 REASONS WHY... KFNeOUg

THE ONLINE
The PSP was way ahead of the competition once again. That is not to say the online experience was perfect, there were no way to add friends and there was no dedicated identity/profile system which was a bummer. But the multiplayer was extremely stable, to the point that you could enjoy full matches with another 30 players on Medal of Honor, with grenades blowing up and bullets spraying everywhere, and not encounter any significant lag! Or you would be on Star Wars Battlefront Elite Squadron, be shooting several storm troopers, then get into a ship and fly into space, and get in dogfights in the middle of the match without any load screens, without any drop-out. Or be playing GTA ad hoc with some friends, and be free roaming around the entirety of Liberty City, sniping from one island to the next, without any stutter or interference. Or be playing co-op with 3 others on Metal Gear Solid or Monster Hunter. (why don't we have both?) You might encounter some lag on occasion like with any console, but the fact that a handheld was able to accommodate such a next-generation multiplayer experience like this is mind blowing.
10 REASONS WHY... JuJX7QW

THE GAMES

This is a no brainer. And I WILL NOT begin listing all the amazing games on PSP, because you'll be here all week. The PSP has the better part of 1000 games, not including all the backwards compatible games nor the ones you can play on the emulators I told you about, which just increases the number a hundred fold.
To put it simply, if you think of the biggest and best franchises on Sony consoles, the PSP had either an exclusive or a quality port from just about every one of those franchises, and had exclusives from new IP's as well. And just generally had so much incredible variation and performed like a home console when developers wanted it to. It also was the platform where long dead franchises returned (Parasite Eve), where much loved franchises finished (Syphon Filter) and where other loved franchises continued (Valkyria Chronicles). It also had some of the best games of certain franchises (Kingdom hearts Birth By Sleep, Final Fantasy Crisis Core, Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories, etc). What more can I say?
10 REASONS WHY... EN1ZIxh
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

10 REASONS WHY... TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

10 REASONS WHY... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 REASONS WHY...   10 REASONS WHY... I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2015 12:29 pm

It's dead shit mate move on
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

10 REASONS WHY... Empty
Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

10 REASONS WHY... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 REASONS WHY...   10 REASONS WHY... I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2015 4:31 pm

Orion wrote:

Do you ever stop posting shit?
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

10 REASONS WHY... R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

10 REASONS WHY... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 REASONS WHY...   10 REASONS WHY... I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2015 7:04 pm

DaTeckno wrote:
Orion wrote:

10 REASONS WHY... Ba4f2211
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

10 REASONS WHY... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 REASONS WHY...   10 REASONS WHY... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 7:17 am

DaTeckno wrote:
Orion wrote:

What's wrong with what i said? It's like deluding yourself the PS2 isn't dead
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

10 REASONS WHY... Empty

10 REASONS WHY... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 REASONS WHY...   10 REASONS WHY... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 4:15 pm

Orion wrote:
DaTeckno wrote:
Orion wrote:

I don't see any delusion. He's just making valid points why the PSP was awesome.
You on the other hand just never stop posting shit.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

10 REASONS WHY... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 REASONS WHY...   10 REASONS WHY... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 6:38 pm

DaTeckno wrote:
Orion wrote:
DaTeckno wrote:
Orion wrote:

I don't see any delusion. He's just making valid points why the PSP was awesome.
You on the other hand just never stop posting shit.
At least my country isn't occupied by Israel

With that said, the PSP is probably the gaming platform I spent the most hours on. It was so great for rpgs. I still need to play Crisis Core, any good PSP emulators?
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

10 REASONS WHY... Empty

10 REASONS WHY... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 REASONS WHY...   10 REASONS WHY... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 7:02 pm

It still breaks my heart that my PSP was stolen. Sad

I used to spend hours playing Star Wars Battlefront and Daxter.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

10 REASONS WHY... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 REASONS WHY...   10 REASONS WHY... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 8:23 pm

Orion wrote:

With that said, the PSP is probably the gaming platform I spent the most hours on. It was so great for rpgs. I still need to play Crisis Core, any good PSP emulators?

PPSSPP

DaTeckno wrote:

It's hardly expensive to pick up a pre-owned one. Aren't you one of those spoiled arab rich boys? Where you ask your dad for a bike and he buys you a gold-plated Ferrari?
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

10 REASONS WHY... Empty

10 REASONS WHY... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 REASONS WHY...   10 REASONS WHY... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 8:27 pm

Sawed-Off_Orc wrote:
Orion wrote:

PPSSPP

DaTeckno wrote:

It's hardly expensive to pick up a pre-owned one. Aren't you one of those spoiled arab rich boys? Where you ask your dad for a bike and he buys you a gold-plated Ferrari?

Contrary to popular belief, most Arabs aren't children of oil rich sheikhs who give their children tigers as a pet. Razz

TBH, I think I rather save the money for the Vita when it starts rolling in more games.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

10 REASONS WHY... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 REASONS WHY...   10 REASONS WHY... I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 8:37 pm

Might as well wait for pigs to pass their pilot training.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

10 REASONS WHY... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 REASONS WHY...   10 REASONS WHY... I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2015 2:08 pm

Will Sony even do another portable gaming system? The Vita was just such a downgrade from the PSP....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

10 REASONS WHY... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 REASONS WHY...   10 REASONS WHY... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

10 REASONS WHY...
Page 1 of 1