Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is the Western Genre dead?

Go down 
+3
Jack the Spectre
Mecha
Chobo
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Is the Western Genre dead? 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

Is the Western Genre dead? Empty
PostSubject: Is the Western Genre dead?   Is the Western Genre dead? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 3:25 pm

The western Genre is a fun genre that's endured for a while. But now a days, it's starting to loose steam.

For every good Modern Western like True Grit, Rango, and Django Unchained, we get a bunch of shitty ones like Wild Wild West, Jonah Hex, and The Lone Ranger.

What do you guys think?

Note: This is strictly in the sense of movies. The Western Genre in Video Games seems to be just fine with the likes of Call of Juarez, Red Dead, and GUN.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Is the Western Genre dead? R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Is the Western Genre dead?   Is the Western Genre dead? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 4:12 pm

Is the Western Genre dead? Best-w10

Is the Western Genre dead? Wester10
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Is the Western Genre dead? 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: Is the Western Genre dead?   Is the Western Genre dead? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 8:11 pm

That list of busts should add Lone Ranger. It is bombing HARD.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Is the Western Genre dead?   Is the Western Genre dead? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 8:24 pm

They should have added Heaven's Gate if anything. The Lone Ranger was a box-office bomb, but that's nothing compare to the disaster known as Heaven's Gate.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Is the Western Genre dead? XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Is the Western Genre dead?   Is the Western Genre dead? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 12:46 am

In fairness to Heaven's Gate though, I highly doubt The Lone Ranger will have a cult following.

Anyway, it's no longer the era of the Westerns. Adventure serials were huge at one point, then it was film noir along with Westerns, then it was the big stupid actioners of the 80s, now it's superhero movies. Much like how video games have the flavor of the week (platformers, shooters, etc.), the big moneymaking genre changes as time goes on. It may be a little while, but we'll be over superhero flicks at some point too.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Is the Western Genre dead?   Is the Western Genre dead? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 1:05 am

I dunno. It may be a very LONG while until superhero films start to lose popularity. Even after Robert Downey, Jr. leaves, Marvel will probably be force to add Spider-Man and Wolverine into The Avengers roster, which will make a shit load of money. And Justice League will always have the most ironic characters of all time, Superman and Batman. Not to mention, there are millions of comic books stories out there. So Hollywood will never run out of ideas with comic book movies.

Westerns on the other hand, never make that much money to being with. Which is why big budget and westerns don't mix.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Is the Western Genre dead?   Is the Western Genre dead? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 1:55 am

Westerns made a lot of money at the box office. All of the ones on your charts are very modern Westerns, after the golden age of the genre with stars like John Wayne. Westerns lasted much longer in the collective public mind than superhero films will.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Is the Western Genre dead? PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: Is the Western Genre dead?   Is the Western Genre dead? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 1:59 am

@Jack I'm calling it now. When CBM's die because of oversaturation, video game movies will take over! Is the Western Genre dead? 725796345
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

Is the Western Genre dead? TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: Is the Western Genre dead?   Is the Western Genre dead? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 8:39 am

I would kill for a good Jonah Hex that is actually about the comic

Anyways the order for me is
1. Ninjas/Samurai
2. Knight's and Dragons n Magic N Shit
3. Cowboys
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Is the Western Genre dead?   Is the Western Genre dead? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 9:26 am

Jack the Spectre wrote:
Westerns made a lot of money at the box office. All of the ones on your charts are very modern Westerns, after the golden age of the genre with stars like John Wayne. Westerns lasted much longer in the collective public mind than superhero films will.
Well considering the budget yeah. But comic book movies make billions at the box-office.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: Is the Western Genre dead?   Is the Western Genre dead? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 10:01 am

Nah. Like every genre there are good ones and shit ones.

Good modern ones:

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Lawless (if that counts), Brokeback Mountain (if that counts), True Grit (not seen though), Django Unchained, etc

Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Is the Western Genre dead?   Is the Western Genre dead? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 10:34 am

Has anyone here even seen 3:10 to Yuma? That was also a pretty good western as well.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Is the Western Genre dead? Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: Is the Western Genre dead?   Is the Western Genre dead? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 10:37 am

True Grit might be one of the few remakes that surpass the original Classic. I absolutely loved it, but the ending was quite stupid, to say the least.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Is the Western Genre dead?   Is the Western Genre dead? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 11:16 am

Well of course. The original had Justin Bieber.

Is the Western Genre dead? Justin10
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Is the Western Genre dead?   Is the Western Genre dead? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 6:25 pm

Mecha wrote:
Jack the Spectre wrote:
Well considering the budget yeah. But comic book movies make billions at the box-office.
They do, but Westerns had proportional success against the competition, especially when adjusting for inflation. When adjusting for inflation, not a single comic book movie is in the top ten highest-grossing, so using the unadjusted numbers doesn't always yield the best results. That's why you've gotta look at the older Westerns to see how they hold up against the other films of their time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the Western Genre dead?   Is the Western Genre dead? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is the Western Genre dead?
Page 1 of 1