Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS

Go down 
+5
The_Biotic_God
2Sugoi2Die
ghost23
Jack the Spectre
Pickles1337
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS Empty
PostSubject: SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS   SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 1:46 am

Why do most games(I'm not talking about the obvious ones) usually feature a campaign that's 6-10 hours long?

I wouldn't mind a short game if they adjusted the price but we're getting games like Enslaved and they charge us 60 bucks( I just wait because that shit is STEEP).

What's up with that? Is it because it's expensive? Or is it because they're just lazy?
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS   SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 1:57 am

It's because the prospect of multiplayer always seems to make the game more attractive. The economy sucks and games are expensive everywhere (some places more than others). If you can only afford to buy one game, which sounds better? Enslaved, with a 6-hour single-player that doesn't offer much beyond that, or Call of Duty: Black Ops, which offers a six-hour single-player and potentially dozens of hours on multiplayer?

Black Ops sounds better because it offers more replay value which means you'll be less inclined to go out and spend another $60 any time soon. Developers know this so they tack on multiplayer to make it seem like a better deal. This, in turn, takes away resources from the single-player.

I've gotta respect Visceral Games, though. Even though they tacked on multiplayer to Dead Space 2, they at least had the decency to give us a full campaign. Razz
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ghost23

Stature : 11
Australia

PostSubject: Re: SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS   SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 4:02 am

Well it is really difficult to be able to pace a long campaign, especially if it is more linear like most of the 6-10 hour games are.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS   SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 4:19 am

TRF wrote:

I've gotta respect Visceral Games, though. Even though they tacked on multiplayer to Dead Space 2, they at least had the decency to give us a full campaign. Razz
And a lot of replay value like better to.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS   SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 8:50 am

I agree. Campaigns should never be shorter than atleast 8 hours. KZ3 left me feeling empty after I beat it in 4 hours.

One of the things I loved about UC2 was the fact that it had a pretty lengthy campaign. It clocked around 13 hours for me on normal.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS   SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 8:54 am

Well its not really that its lazy. Developers are more afraid. they don't seem to notice anymore what really appeals to the gamers of today.

Just think like a developer for a while. You want to make a game. Yet you will have to compete with the highly praised FPS's and games wih huge fanbases overall. So as a developer you want to do the same thing these FPS games do and make short campaigns and long multiplayer games because they think it appeals to the modern gamer and sadly....It does.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS   SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 10:53 am

That's why I think the new generation of R&C games suck. Wayyyyyy toooo short.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS   SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 11:01 am

Toxicmaniac wrote:

Just think like a developer for a while. You want to make a game. Yet you will have to compete with the highly praised FPS's and games wih huge fanbases overall. So as a developer you want to do the same thing these FPS games do and make short campaigns and long multiplayer games because they think it appeals to the modern gamer and sadly....It does.
Problem is that making a brand new FPS title can be easily be overshadowed by the bigger names of the FPS genre.
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS   SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 5:34 pm

If i were to think like a Dev...instead of doing the "safe" thing and just copying what the big FPS are doing i would be trying to out-do them in every department, make the game longer, the online more addictive, the dialouge more realistic, the gameplay more innovative, the sound better, the graphics better.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS   SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 9:14 pm

Reaper wrote:
If i were to think like a Dev...instead of doing the "safe" thing and just copying what the big FPS are doing i would be trying to out-do them in every department, make the game longer, the online more addictive, the dialouge more realistic, the gameplay more innovative, the sound better, the graphics better.

I think if every dev could do that then they would. Game development is expensive and development time is usually limited since alot of games are published by big-time companies that care way more about maximizing profits.

I think the only reason the COD games can even reach their deadlines is because of the fact that they have short campaigns (thus less dialog, set-piece moments, etc that have to be produced) and use the same dated game engine. Even then they still release with a shit ton of bugs and problems.

So "making the best possible game" is actually easier said then done. Not trying to defend COD or anything but it is true.
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS   SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Alanski wrote:
Reaper wrote:

I think if every dev could do that then they would. Game development is expensive and development time is usually limited since alot of games are published by big-time companies that care way more about maximizing profits.

I think the only reason the COD games can even reach their deadlines is because of the fact that they have short campaigns (thus less dialog, set-piece moments, etc that have to be produced) and use the same dated game engine. Even then they still release with a shit ton of bugs and problems.

So "making the best possible game" is actually easier said then done. Not trying to defend COD or anything but it is true.

that, and they switch developers each game and reuse the same engine for the past 5 years.
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

PostSubject: Re: SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS   SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 11:30 pm

This is why I stick to generally RPG's now. Especially Bethesda and Bioware. The Mass Effects I have around 100 hours and Oblivion around 80. And the Fallouts (3 and NV) I have probably 50. And I am still playing all of those games.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS   SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SO MANY SHORT CAMPAIGNS
Page 1 of 1