Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

Need wifi advice

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

Need wifi advice Empty
PostSubject: Need wifi advice   Need wifi advice I_icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 3:11 pm

Alright, my current wifi thing is one that is plugged directly into the motherboard. It's one of the TP Link models. The problem is, it is rather shit. Hell, it is downright awful. It can't maintain a good signal or stay on the conncetion for more than 3 or 4 minutes before it loses the signal. It's that bad that I have been using an ethernet plugged from my PC into my laptop so I can get the connection from my laptop's much superior built in wifi adapter thingy.

So the question is, what can I do to sort out the connection? I am like 3 floors above the router.
Back to top Go down
thebigmike1983
Unique Grunt
Unique Grunt
thebigmike1983

Stature : 20
Chicago, I

Need wifi advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need wifi advice   Need wifi advice I_icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 9:18 pm

Sawed-Off_Orc wrote:
I am like 3 floors above the router.

Oof. At the last place I lived I was 2 floors below and my signal was shit using wireless-N. I'll never go wireless on my gaming rig again.

Maybe get an external USB wireless adapter with antenna and give it a try, or I guess try one of these? http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/ask-our-expert/boosting-a-wifi-signal-ask-our-expert
Back to top Go down
Mikenuge
Guard
Guard
Mikenuge

Stature : 39
UK
Playing : With my small penis

Need wifi advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need wifi advice   Need wifi advice I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 10:11 am

If wi-fi is your only option I suggest logging into your router settings (usually it's your own ip address) then have your PC focus on a certain frequency/channel that will sort out any interference.

Also avoid peak times during the day like noon and prime time as internet speeds will always significantly lower as there is just not enough bandwidth to go around.

If you have access to the router, I would invest in a power line adapter. Instead of using the traditional phone lines to carry the date it's uses the mains, then plug one into the router and you have a wired connection much more reliable, stable and safer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369836530&sr=8-1&keywords=tp+link+powerline

I have one myself : )

Need wifi advice 20130513

running a ethernet cable through ma house is not practical
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

Need wifi advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need wifi advice   Need wifi advice I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 2:57 pm

Mikenuge wrote:
If wi-fi is your only option I suggest logging into your router settings (usually it's your own ip address) then have your PC focus on a certain frequency/channel that will sort out any interference.

Also avoid peak times during the day like noon and prime time as internet speeds will always significantly lower as there is just not enough bandwidth to go around.

If you have access to the router, I would invest in a power line adapter. Instead of using the traditional phone lines to carry the date it's uses the mains, then plug one into the router and you have a wired connection much more reliable, stable and safer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369836530&sr=8-1&keywords=tp+link+powerline

I have one myself : )

Need wifi advice 20130513

running a ethernet cable through ma house is not practical

For the power line adapter thing, basically do I plug one into the router (and therefore the mains as well) and then 3 floors up I plug the other one from my computer to the mains? And it will work like that?
And will the router still be useable by others?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Need wifi advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need wifi advice   Need wifi advice I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need wifi advice
Page 1 of 1