Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Common Sense Media

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

Common Sense Media Empty
PostSubject: Common Sense Media   Common Sense Media I_icon_minitimeSat May 04, 2013 7:47 pm

Each and every time I look at the reviews of a film on rotten tomatoes, without fail I grit my teeth upon reading the trite spewed from the mouths of writers from the publication, 'Common Sense Media'. One of the writers, Maria Llull's inane scribblings include a review of Blade, " Boring vampire blood bath isn't for kids.", and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang " Choppy L.A. thriller. Absolutely not for kids.". This consistent concern regarding the exposure of these films to minors only seems to indicate that she is incapable of reading the age rating on the box, and as a result she assumes the role of a repetitious fool that merely spells out the clear implications of the BBFC rating.

Now, I digress. I do realize that the site Common Sense Media is heavily eager in its quest to shelter children from violent or explicit films, and I duly respect that.
Nonetheless, it begs the question of whether it is fair for a site that is so narrow in its demography and so fiercely opposed to any representation of sex, drugs and violence, to have an impact upon the rating of a film. To witness an amateurish, uninspired, and downright shoddy opinion piece based upon the "tameness" of the film clumped in alongside insightful deconstructions and analyses by talented writers, to me is jarring.

Some of the finest cinematic works of art involve some of these "explicit" or rather, "not for kids" elements. For example, Pulp Fiction, A Clockwork Orange, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, The Godfather, Psycho, The Shawshank Redemption. None of these film makers intended to appeal to children, and audiences do not tend to assume otherwise. So why is it we, the audience must have our common sense undermined by some faux-vigilante moms. In fact, why is it that the film makers works should be judged for their inclusion of violent content? It is a great disservice to artists, to criticize their art simply for their conscious artistic approach.

When all is said and done, I do not know who to blame; the people of the website that strive to protect the minds of the youth from corruption, or a site that embraces every point of view and holds them all in equal regard?

Perhaps I am just a cynical bastard. I shall let you be the judge. Does this not bother you?
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Common Sense Media R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

Common Sense Media Empty
PostSubject: Re: Common Sense Media   Common Sense Media I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 6:25 am

Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

Common Sense Media Empty
PostSubject: Re: Common Sense Media   Common Sense Media I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 7:48 am

Mecha wrote:

Ahh is this him talking about Trance.

That was midly related to what my thread is about.

Only mildly.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Common Sense Media Empty
Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

Common Sense Media Empty
PostSubject: Re: Common Sense Media   Common Sense Media I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 10:44 am

Quote :
In fact, why is it that the film makers works should be judged for their inclusion of violent content? It is a great disservice to artists, to criticize their art simply for their conscious artistic approach.

lol. I think you are reading a little too much into it. They are just saying its not suitable for children to view. How are children supposed to understand their conscious artistic approach?
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

Common Sense Media Empty
PostSubject: Re: Common Sense Media   Common Sense Media I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 11:18 am

You don't seem to get it. Their site rates the film in accordance with how violent it is, rather than how good it is, and this sites reviews are taken into account by Rotten Tomatoes. Therefore, the films overall average critic rating can be weighed down simply because this site deemed it too violent.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Common Sense Media Empty
Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

Common Sense Media Empty
PostSubject: Re: Common Sense Media   Common Sense Media I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 11:19 am

Sawed-Off_Orc wrote:
You don't seem to get it. Their site rates the film in accordance with how violent it is, rather than how good it is, and this sites reviews are taken into account by Rotten Tomatoes. Therefore, the films overall average critic rating can be weighed down simply because this site deemed it too violent.

Oh well yes, I do suppose you have a good point there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

Common Sense Media Empty
PostSubject: Re: Common Sense Media   Common Sense Media I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 11:33 am

Teckno wrote:
Sawed-Off_Orc wrote:

Oh well yes, I do suppose you have a good point there.

:happyalone:
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Common Sense Media Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

Common Sense Media Empty
PostSubject: Re: Common Sense Media   Common Sense Media I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 12:44 pm

RT is an incredibly broken site, though. I hardly ever put their score into my own liking/viewpoint of a certain movie.

Also, in connection to what you said: Have you guys noticed how many unknown, outlandish, and irrelevant review sites RT uses? I swear, this other day, I noticed, at the very least, 3 - 6 different sites that all weighed in on a certain film on RT. Even though, those sites were either in German (Seriously), or had as much relevance as Shrute's own MagJournal site. Yeah, that irrelevant.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

Common Sense Media Empty
PostSubject: Re: Common Sense Media   Common Sense Media I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 2:24 pm

Schrute doesn't like Hulk so he can suck a dick for all I care.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Common Sense Media Empty
PostSubject: Re: Common Sense Media   Common Sense Media I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 2:35 pm

And why should he like Hulk...?

Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Common Sense Media R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

Common Sense Media Empty
PostSubject: Re: Common Sense Media   Common Sense Media I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 2:42 pm

Nobody likes Hulk.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

Common Sense Media Empty
PostSubject: Re: Common Sense Media   Common Sense Media I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 2:43 pm

NOBODY LIKES THE HULK! (8)
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Common Sense Media Empty
PostSubject: Re: Common Sense Media   Common Sense Media I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 2:46 pm

Mecha wrote:
Nobody likes Hulk.

I second this.
Back to top Go down
Azazel
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Azazel

Common Sense Media 5DfcoiC
Stature : 7
Equestria

Common Sense Media Empty
PostSubject: Re: Common Sense Media   Common Sense Media I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 9:48 pm

Paid review sites are still bound by subjectivity, things like that are why it pays to read the review itself instead of going by the score alone.

As much as some gamers will criticize the gaming press for their way of reviewing games, I heard that movie reviewers have their own problems with legitimacy. I have no doubt that Roger Ebert was good and passionate about what he did, but appearently so did everyone else. I heard that the original Halloween movie got tons of negative reviews but then Roger Ebert (and some other famous critic) gave it a positive one and suddenly everyone else was all like "Yeah...that is what I meant too."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Common Sense Media Empty
PostSubject: Re: Common Sense Media   Common Sense Media I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Common Sense Media
Page 1 of 1