Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?

Go down 
+8
Based Sonji
Pickles1337
Archduke
Bluenose
ghost23
Hydell
Jack the Spectre
Stoney
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?  Empty
PostSubject: Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?    Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 9:50 am

With devs, especially Epic Game, claiming it's time for new consoles, how can Microsoft and Sony make significantly more powerful consoles than both the 360 and PS3 yet make it affordable (for customers) and profitable for them (Sony and MS)?

Look at Battlefield 3, that was running on three 590 GTX Nvidia graphic cards. One of them alone cost around 400 euro. How can Sony and MS develop a console that run games at 60FPS and 1080p resolutions like a high end PC, without costing around 800 euro? Seriously?

Also, with some devs complaining that this gen is so expensive, (a triple A game costs around $25 million to make, excluding marketing). Imagine how expensive next gen will be! Just look at Epic's Samaritan, it would probably cost twice as much to get a game to run and look that good. Most triple A games need to sell at the very least 2 million copies to make any profit, so how many copies will they need to shift next gen to make a profit?

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?    Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 10:39 am

I think that if they will start to make it to expensive less people will buy it forcing them to lower the price again. But yea the future is not clear right now.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?  XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?    Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 10:41 am

I think after Sony basically tanked with the Playstation 3 at $599, all three companies are now smart enough to wait until they can develop a console, make it affordable, and still earn a profit.
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?    Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 1:08 pm

Well this is the first generation of the HD console, remember how much games were when the PS1 was out? That was because that gen was the first 3-D gen, the PS2 and Xbox games didnt cost as much because the basic tech was there and they just improves textures, shaders lighting and all that other stuff.

Now that the foundation so-to-speak is there for HD, next gen will be able to more comfortable support it with higher and steadier FPS and improved lighting, shading, textures, effects, physics etc.

Just my 2 pennies.
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ghost23

Stature : 11
Australia

PostSubject: Re: Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?    Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Are you sure the Battlefield 3 trailers were running on 3 GTX 590's? Cause they just released them a few weeks ago and theres no way that DICE would release a game that required that high of a configuration to run it at full settings. I know that the Unreal Engine 3 demo was running on 3 GTX 580s.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?    Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 7:41 pm

This is why I believe Sony and MS are delaying their consoles. They're waiting for the tech to be more affordable before dishing it out to the customers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?    Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 8:30 pm

There's no way in hell I'm buying a $700 video game console.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

PostSubject: Re: Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?    Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 1:49 am

I'm guessing a lot of developers are going to be out of the job since the next-gen games are going to be expensive to make.

And since they're going to be expensive, people are going to take less risks and make generic fraghead-type games that appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I hope that's not the case.
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ghost23

Australia

PostSubject: Re: Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?    Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 4:24 am

DukemNukem43 wrote:
There's no way in hell I'm buying a $700 video game console.

That won't happen. Microsoft and Sony both know how much of a monumental fuck up the PS3 launch price was and I'm sure we wont go through that again
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?    Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 10:58 am

Funnily enough, the PS3 sold a shitload despite it's lack of games and it's monumental price.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?    Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 11:01 am

Sonji wrote:
Funnily enough, the PS3 sold a shitload despite it's lack of games and it's monumental price.
Mainly because of its huge fanbase the ps2 had.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?    Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 12:03 pm

This is where we need to stop and ask ourselves, are graphics that important?
I mean, really the only improvement there's been from one generation to the next recently is graphical quality. Is it worth making whole new systems just to enhance the graphics?
I think not. The current systems can go on for much longer I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

PostSubject: Re: Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?    Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 4:01 pm

I doubt new consoles will come out in the next 2 years. This is why I like PC gaming. Way more power. The initial price is steep, but after that it is relatively cheap to upgrade, depending on what you get.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?    Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 6:02 pm

The PS3 was overpriced because Blu-ray was a new format and the Cell Processor initially costed Sony a shit ton of money to mass produce.

We can all assume that the PS4 will be using the same format (with a faster BD drive) and will be using an updated version of the Cell Processor. Meaning that the price probably won't be 599 dollars. My expected price range for next gen consoles would be at most 400 dollars.
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?  0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?    Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 6:08 pm

Alanski wrote:
The PS3 was overpriced because Blu-ray was a new format and the Cell Processor initially costed Sony a shit ton of money to mass produce.

We can all assume that the PS4 will be using the same format (with a faster BD drive) and will be using an updated version of the Cell Processor. Meaning that the price probably won't be 599 dollars. My expected price range for next gen consoles would be at most 400 dollars.

and a different GPU so that Devs can develop for it much easier.
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ghost23

Australia

PostSubject: Re: Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?    Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 8:00 pm

Sonji wrote:

Relative to what the PS2 had going and what the Wii was doing, PS3 had a really shaky launch. I forget what the launch price in North America was, but here in Australia (I shit you not, google it if you want) it was $1000. No one in their right mind bought a gaming console for $1000 in this country.
There is no way that will happen again
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?    Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Will next gen be affordable and/or worth it?
Page 1 of 1