Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase?

Go down 
+9
NoelX2
Stoney
Ihsahn
Jack the Spectre
Archduke
Angelus
Based Sonji
Bluenose
Stigma
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? Empty
PostSubject: Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase?   Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 6:27 pm

Kinda like how Dead Space 2 and AC Brotherhood got multiplayer, ME3 is rumored to get multiplayer too, like seriously WTF? Cod sells amazing, but not everyone freaking plays it. Lets take the 360 for example, the "shooter console". It's sold 52.9 million units so far. COD BLOPS has sold 12.17 million units. That means that 23% of the 360 user base bought black cocks. 23%

That means that 77% of the 360 user base doesn't buy Cod, or at least not on an annual bases. So WHY THE FUCK DO PUBLISHERS TRY SO HARD TO RAKE IN THAT AUDIENCE? Why don't they go for the other 77%? In fact, doesn't it just make shit more difficult when you compete with COD? There's a shit ton of people who hate COD so why don't devs go for that audience? Games with a long single player and without any form of versus multiplayer. Man RPGs sell pretty well on the console too. I don't understand why devs don't just start making western RPGs as they are proven to sell well and don't have one franchise that dominates that genre.

Just look at fucking Demon's Souls. Yeah it's not on Xbox but It still sold over a million copies and COD fanboys probably wouldn't even be able to beat the first boss. Dark Souls is probably gonna break 2 million across both systems. Another thing, if devs are taking a chance then simple lower your freaking budget. Take a look at Persona 4. That game had a pretty low budget compared to other games released in 2008 yet it's critically acclaimed, got a lot of awards, is the highest rated RPG for the PS2 on gamerankings, and sold over 700K. Which is pretty damn good for a niche franchise. I'm pretty sure most people aren't graphic whores and aren't gonna make a big deal if the game doesn't look like Killzone, Forza, or Gow or something.

When developers try to make games appeal to the COD fanboys or publishers force devs to it does nothing other than take resources away from the focus on the campaign or single player. I freaking hate it when non-shooters suddenly start getting versus multiplayer.

Another problem I find is that other shooters start appealing to the COD fanbase and end up betraying their core audience (killzone 3, Halo Reach, Gears 2). Seriously, Gears 1 actually took some skill to play and then Gears 2 came out and it was nerfed to fucking hell and the game handled differently. Casual gamers finally got to play without ending up at the bottom of the scoreboard every game but the hardcore Gears fanbase hated it. Same thing happened to Killzone 3 from what I hear. And Halo Reach...good lord. I knew something was wrong when people like Rev and Elpresador went from HALO 3 FUCKING SUCKS to REACH IS FUCKING AWESOME. Bungie added bloom, they made loadouts, they added sprint...Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? 1443829230
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase?   Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 7:55 pm

Cause the other 77% won't all get swayed up by 1 non shooter game. Shooters take the largest chunk of sales compared to other genres. 22% is as high as one can get with a genre. Btw, I totally agree about Gears. WTF happened is all I can say.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase?   Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 8:46 pm

Your 23%/77% logic is so flawed it's ridiculous.

One game, ONE FUCKING GAME, raked in 23% of the 360's userbase. The other 77% bought different types of games, unlike the 23% that bought BLOPS.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

US

PostSubject: Re: Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase?   Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 8:51 pm

TheUltimateDouche wrote:

One game, ONE FUCKING GAME, raked in 23% of the 360's userbase. The other 77% bought different types of games, unlike the 23% that bought BLOPS.

Your point?
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase?   Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 8:56 pm

That's why pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase...

(Whoosh)
Back to top Go down
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? ZDL7A4I
Stature : 342
Canada
Playing : Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy VII
Watching : Darksydephil

PostSubject: Re: Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase?   Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 9:49 pm

CoD sucks.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase?   Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 10:05 pm

COD needs to die.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase?   Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 11:54 pm

BlackStigma wrote:
TheUltimateDouche wrote:

Your point?
He's saying that one game alone raking in 23% is impressive. That's almost a quarter of the userbase. Call of Duty is copied because going after the other 77% is much more difficult. This 77% is shared by many games, not just a few.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

Stature : 4

PostSubject: Re: Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase?   Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 12:36 am

What TUD said. 23% is fucking gargantuan. Now you consider how many copies COD in general has sold on the Xbox and you'll see why they target the customers.

Keep in mind, though, that it's a two way street. Games without multiplayer that could potentially have multiplayer will be requested or at least fantasized by a portion of the userbase of said game. How many times do we hear people beg for multiplayer in TES? Granted the devs are the ones who have to budge, but still. It adds longevity to the game, it attracts more customers, it pleases the already customers who wanted it and it has no effect on those who don't want it. Financially, why WOULDN'T you? Multiplayer is the thing right now.

Money, dear BlackStigma. Money. Green is the color of money and money is the color of greed.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase?   Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 6:12 am

No MP in ME3, confirmed.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

US

PostSubject: Re: Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase?   Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 6:36 am

Stoney wrote:
No MP in ME3, confirmed.

Thank god.
Back to top Go down
NoelX2
Final Boss
Final Boss
NoelX2

Playing : SF3

PostSubject: Re: Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase?   Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 1:45 am

Probably because people wont play a game if it doesnt have MP.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XNoel2?feature=mhum
Pein
Non-Essential NPC
Pein

Stature : -6
Macedonia

PostSubject: Re: Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase?   Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 3:45 am

me3 was confirmed that it won't have any multiplayer component whatsoever..thank fucking god
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

PostSubject: Re: Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase?   Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 12:52 am

I think the top 5 selling games for 360 are shooters.
Back to top Go down
Pizzy3C
Special Unit
Special Unit
Pizzy3C

Stature : 23

PostSubject: Re: Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase?   Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 6:24 am

I think it's great that games are putting in multiplayer. I was unhappy when I heard Assassin's Creed was doing it, AC2 being my fav game of all time, but after I played the game they put a lot more into the single player than there was in AC2. AC2 story> so it's still my fav game. I haven't tried it but I heard some good things about the multiplayer.

My point being is dev's who built a game on a campaign mode aren't going to completely abandon it when they try to integrate a multiplayer.

Uncharted 2 got all the attention for it's story mode, and rightfully so. but I got hooked onto the multiplayer for a long time. W/o that multiplayer I may have gotten my moneys worth and that's it. With it I ripped Naughty Dog off...

I do agree 100% that FPS are trying miserably to follow COD4... Most notably Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops... I haven't played Halo since Halo 2 so I wouldn't know about that...
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase?   Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 9:54 am

Gears 2's multiplayer was terrible when it launched. It wasn't because of just the lag and glitches. The game balance was shit. Chainsaw was overpowered, shotgun was slow and underpowered, smoke grenades weren't actually smoke grenades, and alot of the weapons were just fucking useless.

But since then they have patched it up. They realized the mistake they have done and started listening to the community more.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase?   Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 2:31 pm

Alanski wrote:
Gears 2's multiplayer was terrible when it launched. It wasn't because of just the lag and glitches. The game balance was shit. Chainsaw was overpowered, shotgun was slow and underpowered, smoke grenades weren't actually smoke grenades, and alot of the weapons were just fucking useless.

But since then they have patched it up. They realized the mistake they have done and started listening to the community more.

I said that and you ridiculed me.. Neutral
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase?   Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 2:46 pm

Teckno wrote:
Alanski wrote:

I said that and you ridiculed me.. Neutral

Chainsaw was overpowered because the melee radius was too wide and you can't stun people who use them by shooting them. Now it's practically an assassination tool since it is alot harder to get a chainsaw kill when your opponent is aware of you.

Don't know what you said in the past, but you probably deserved it.
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

PostSubject: Re: Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase?   Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 8:16 pm

Alanski wrote:

Should have stayed that way. All I see is shotgun divers.

At least Gears Of War 3 will balance this problem by adding the....sawn-off shotgun.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase?   Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why do so many pubs try to rake in the COD fanbase?
Page 1 of 1