Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Gordon Freeman Paradox

Go down 
+9
Pickles1337
Hydell
Blixtstorm
Jack the Spectre
Bluenose
Stoney
Based Sonji
Stigma
Azazel
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Azazel
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Azazel

The Gordon Freeman Paradox 5DfcoiC
Stature : 7
Equestria

The Gordon Freeman Paradox Empty
PostSubject: The Gordon Freeman Paradox   The Gordon Freeman Paradox I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 1:52 am

Here is a simple paradox or strange inconsistency in certain gaming stories (though it is not limited to games I think). It has you pitted against some really powerful foe that, say, the military usually, can't defeat. However hope is not lost, for whatever reason you, despite having no military training and being an average joe, are somehow more of a threat and/or more effective at eliminating the threat then the professionals are.

Like the title suggests, Gordon Freeman is probably the best example of this in gaming. If you played Half-Life or Half-Life 2, you play as Gordon Freeman and fight aliens in Black Mesa or the Combine Terraformed Earth. In Both situations the paradox is clear.

Half-Life: There are marines fighting in the facility against the aliens and you, but they somehow fail at both where you somehow succeed on your own.

Half-Life 2: The human military was destroyed by The Combine in 7 hours, when you play the game you can see why (A strider alone takes 6 rockets, which is more then you can carry with you). The Combine are also said to have conquered multiple dimensions/universes. Yet despite all this their biggest concern seems to be you, and again you seem to do a spectacular job on your own for the most part whereas the military failed to seemingly pose that much of a threat altogether.

Another key factor that helps define this is that there is nothing to insist that you are anything more or less then human (same with Gordon Freeman if I remember). It can also make the "all-powerful" enemy seem to fall quite short of how it is portrayed, in most situations I can think of anyway.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: The Gordon Freeman Paradox   The Gordon Freeman Paradox I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 2:06 am

It's fiction, it doesn't have to be logical.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: The Gordon Freeman Paradox   The Gordon Freeman Paradox I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 7:34 am

It's because Gordon Freeman has relation to Morgan Freeman which makes him part God.

Can't explain that.
Back to top Go down
Azazel
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Azazel

Equestria

PostSubject: Re: The Gordon Freeman Paradox   The Gordon Freeman Paradox I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 10:46 am

BlackStigma wrote:

That is an axiom.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: The Gordon Freeman Paradox   The Gordon Freeman Paradox I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 12:12 pm

Interesting read. +1
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: The Gordon Freeman Paradox   The Gordon Freeman Paradox I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 2:40 pm

Deus Ex Machina wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:

That is an axiom.

Regardless, the point still stand that fiction doesn't have to be logical.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

The Gordon Freeman Paradox XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: The Gordon Freeman Paradox   The Gordon Freeman Paradox I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 3:05 pm

It's not impossible that Gordon Freeman can do things a highly-trained military can't. It's simply unlikely, and it's in this low likelihood that we find entertainment. It's enjoyable to see people go above and beyond and successfully do risky things that are deemed impossible.
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
Blixtstorm

Stature : 18
Sweden
Playing : TDU2 (PC) / Minecraft (Tekkit modpack)

PostSubject: Re: The Gordon Freeman Paradox   The Gordon Freeman Paradox I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 3:09 pm

In Sweden we have a saying for these kind of things.

"Liten tuva stjälper ofta stort lass."

Translation: "Small tuft often overturns a big load."
Notes: Cf. "The straw that broke the camels back".

The thing is that most fictive works are often based around a smaller force then and mighty military.

But if you think of it this way, if you invaded a country or a planet the first thing you think about is most likely to wipe out the military. However the fight isn't over after military is gone, you see that most was are won or lost by the population and not the armies.
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: The Gordon Freeman Paradox   The Gordon Freeman Paradox I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 4:37 pm

In Scotland we have a saying for these kind of things.

"Gordon Freeman is just one man and therefore this chap is more flexible than say an Army would be, and hence he would be alot harder to find and destroy for these Combine chaps. They could use overwhelming firepower and just decimate the area but they would destroy their own infrastructure and one might guess they don't want to do this."

Translation : Gordon Freeman is just one man and therefore this chap is more flexible than say an Army would be, and hence he would be alot harder to find and destroy for these Combine chaps. They could use overwhelming firepower and just decimate the area but they would destroy their own infrastructure and one might guess they don't want to do this.
Back to top Go down
Azazel
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Azazel

Equestria

PostSubject: Re: The Gordon Freeman Paradox   The Gordon Freeman Paradox I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 8:02 pm

Blixtstorm wrote:
In Sweden we have a saying for these kind of things.

"Liten tuva stjälper ofta stort lass."

Translation: "Small tuft often overturns a big load."
Notes: Cf. "The straw that broke the camels back".

The thing is that most fictive works are often based around a smaller force then and mighty military.

But if you think of it this way, if you invaded a country or a planet the first thing you think about is most likely to wipe out the military. However the fight isn't over after military is gone, you see that most was are won or lost by the population and not the armies.

That is true, also since Gordon is one man and not a battalion, it would be easier to hide too. Now that I think about it, everything is conveniently set up for Gordon, like the striders, every time you fight one there is always an infinite rockets crate, for example. However the same cannot really be said for most individual firefights.

Bluenose wrote:
Deus Ex Machina wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:

That is an axiom.

Regardless, the point still stand that fiction doesn't have to be logical.

Teckno, I never said it didn't, you just repeated what BlackStigma and essentially I said. After all it is just an observation, not a complaint.
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

PostSubject: Re: The Gordon Freeman Paradox   The Gordon Freeman Paradox I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 9:59 pm

Who is Gordan Freeman?
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

The Gordon Freeman Paradox 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: The Gordon Freeman Paradox   The Gordon Freeman Paradox I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Pickles1337 wrote:
Who is Gordan Freeman?

Back to top Go down
The Enkindler
Endgame Boss
Endgame Boss

Stature : 86
Greece
Playing : Plenty of games, and I can't count them.

PostSubject: Re: The Gordon Freeman Paradox   The Gordon Freeman Paradox I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 2:38 am

Pickles1337 wrote:
Who is Gordan Freeman?
He's the main character in the Half-Life franchise made by Valve.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/azazel166
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: The Gordon Freeman Paradox   The Gordon Freeman Paradox I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 3:46 pm

Lord Epzaos wrote:
Pickles1337 wrote:
Who is Gordan Freeman?
He's the main character in the Half-Life franchise made by Valve.

the BEST FPS series around, duh
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

The Gordon Freeman Paradox XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: The Gordon Freeman Paradox   The Gordon Freeman Paradox I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 4:16 pm

DukemNukem43 wrote:
the most overrated FPS series around, duh
Fixed.
Back to top Go down
Pein
Non-Essential NPC
Pein

Stature : -6
Macedonia

PostSubject: Re: The Gordon Freeman Paradox   The Gordon Freeman Paradox I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 9:13 am

he is chuck norris long lost brother..end the thread
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Gordon Freeman Paradox   The Gordon Freeman Paradox I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Gordon Freeman Paradox
Page 1 of 1