Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.

Go down 
+5
Archduke
Pickles1337
Jack the Spectre
Chobo
The_Biotic_God
9 posters
AuthorMessage
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. Empty
PostSubject: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 4:36 pm

http://www.lensoftruth.com/news/xbox360-news/xbox-360-getting-new-disc-format/

Quote :
Xbox Live’s Major Nelson has just posted about a soon to be released update for the Xbox 360. The update will “help us prepare for an updated Xbox 360 disc format” says the Major. Read more below.

New custom format or just updating the dual-layered DVDs they use now to the full 8.5 GB instead of just 6.8 GB?

Either way good news. Multi-disc games were starting to get more and more common after Mass Effect 2.
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 4:39 pm

Thank God. the 360 needs a new disk format. a lot of games are stretching 2 Disks now. which is unacceptable this day and age.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 4:49 pm

I don't think it's "unacceptable" if it's just one disc swap.

But for RPGs like ME2 I don't want to deal with disc-swaping everytime I want to go to Illium or something.

Ironically, Mass Effect 2 is only about 8 GB total. Funny how that 1-2 GB difference was the reason for the inconvenience in the first place. Hopefully this means Mass Effect 3 won't need an outrageous 3 discs like it's currently being rumored to be.
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 5:05 pm

Nah. ME3 probably won't go to 3 disks. It'll probably max out 2 disks insted of 1 1/8 disks
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 5:12 pm

Hope so.

Or else Bioware would HAVE to make the game linear as hell like FFXIII so that way players don't shuffle through 3 different discs many times in one playthrough.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 6:04 pm

Sovereign Alan wrote:
Hope so.

Or else Bioware would HAVE to make the game linear as hell like FFXIII so that way players don't shuffle through 3 different discs many times in one playthrough.
Don't they give you the option of installing the second disc?
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 6:08 pm

You can install the game. But you still have to swap the disc. I keep ME2 installed to aid with load times anyways.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 6:32 pm

Sovereign Alan wrote:
You can install the game. But you still have to swap the disc. I keep ME2 installed to aid with load times anyways.
That's lame. So what's the purpose of the install then?
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

PostSubject: Re: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 6:38 pm

What other games were 2 discs or more after Mass Effect 2.

@TRF

To make it load faster.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 6:38 pm

I just said. They pretty much rapidly speed up load times in most games except Halo 3.

@ Pickles

FFXIII, Dead Space 2, Castlevania, etc.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 7:11 pm

Thank god PS3 games never require you to swap discs. I hated that during the PS2 days.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
igame

Stature : 39
in front of computer
Playing : comedy

PostSubject: Re: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 7:16 pm

I don't remember ever swapping discs on the ps2.
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

PostSubject: Re: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 7:52 pm

Installing the disc also makes it not spin in the disk tray reducing heat greatly. I install all my games. But this is good news.

http://connect.microsoft.com/xboxliveupdate the preview sign up? US only

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/115/1158240p1.html IGN article.
Back to top Go down
ArchAngel
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ArchAngel

Stature : 20
Heaven
Playing : Sarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 10:06 pm

I honeslty never understood the critisism of disc swapping.It takes me less then 10 seconds just to open my disc tray and put the second disc in.

It better than having to wait 5-30 fucking minutes to install a PS3 game or wait for updates.Did you guys know that it took me somewhere between 10-15 minutes for my ps3 to download the UC2 updates?
Back to top Go down
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
igame

Stature : 39
in front of computer
Playing : comedy

PostSubject: Re: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 10:33 pm

Zeratul wrote:
I honeslty never understood the critisism of disc swapping.It takes me less then 10 seconds just to open my disc tray and put the second disc in.

It better than having to wait 5-30 fucking minutes to install a PS3 game or wait for updates.Did you guys know that it took me somewhere between 10-15 minutes for my ps3 to download the UC2 updates?

Make a sandwich while you wait, instead of thinking about how lame it is to wait, i think about what i can do while i wait Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. 2505020059
Always look at the bright side of things! but yeah waiting for updates is pretty lame.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 11:12 pm

Major Nelson: Updating disc format even though we no has games to put on discs this year.

Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 11:16 pm

DukemNukem43 wrote:
Thank god PS3 games never require you to swap discs. I hated that during the PS2 days.

The trade-off with the PS3's Blu-ray is that alot of games will require mandatory installs right off the bat. Most of them are about 5-10 minutes long. But some like Mass Effect 2 or GT5, take nearly an hour. That's definitely not something I want to go through; waiting an hour after you just bought a game to play it. Swapping discs are annoying as well, but really they don't take more than 30 seconds of your time. I guess the problem is for me is that it ruins the immersion of certain games. Right before going into the Omega 4 Relay to do the Suicide mission, the game reminds you that it's only a game by popping up a big ass "Insert disc" message.

If the 360's game disc is truely getting an update in capacity, then that means the 360 could 1UP the PS3 in this sense. All of the future games on the 360 will fit on 1 disc and will not require a mandatory update.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

LittleBigP

PostSubject: Re: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 11:20 pm

Sovereign Alan wrote:
DukemNukem43 wrote:

The trade-off with the PS3's Blu-ray is that alot of games will require mandatory installs right off the bat. Most of them are about 5-10 minutes long. But some like Mass Effect 2 or GT5, take nearly an hour. That's definitely not something I want to go through; waiting an hour after you just bought a game to play it. Swapping discs are annoying as well, but really they don't take more than 30 seconds of your time. I guess the problem is for me is that it ruins the immersion of certain games. Right before going into the Omega 4 Relay to do the Suicide mission, the game reminds you that it's only a game by popping up a big ass "Insert disc" message.

If the 360's game disc is truely getting an update in capacity, then that means the 360 could 1UP the PS3 in this sense. All of the future games on the 360 will fit on 1 disc and will not require a mandatory update.

How exactly is that a 1UP? They would both have the space required, wouldn't they?

So lost.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 11:24 pm

They would have the space required, but the PS3 still has a slower Blu-ray drive. The 360 has a 12X speed DVD drive. Much faster on average.

Because of the longer load times developers make installs mandatory on PS3. I'm saying that in this sense the 360 will 1UP the PS3 because it will have the space required and it won't need mandatory installs ever, while the PS3 will continue have mandatory installs. :S
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

LittleBigP

PostSubject: Re: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 11:26 pm

Sovereign Alan wrote:
They would have the space required, but the PS3 still has a slower Blu-ray drive. The 360 has a 12X speed DVD drive. Much faster on average.

Because of the longer load times developers make installs mandatory on PS3. I'm saying that in this sense the 360 will 1UP the PS3 because it will have the space required and it won't need mandatory installs ever, while the PS3 will continue have mandatory installs. :S

I see what you're getting at. It's too bad that the 360 still has...

NO GAEMS IN 2011.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 11:33 pm

Hypnotoad wrote:
Sovereign Alan wrote:

I see what you're getting at. It's too bad that the 360 still has...

NO GAEMS IN 2011.

Oh ya?

Well Microsoft loves its fans so much that they refuse to bankrupt us by releasing a bunch of awesome games in one year. Sony is fucking you guys over every month. Shite. MS got no gaems but atleast we gotz moneys.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 4:25 am

I don't really have games with multiple disc's so it was never really a problem for me. But considering that games get bigger over time this update is really great.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 11:30 pm

Toxicmaniac wrote:
I don't really have games with multiple disc's so it was never really a problem for me. But considering that games get bigger over time this update is really great.

Ya, and it really does support the idea that MS wants to prolong the life of the 360.

A source claims the new 360 game disc will hold 7.85 GB, approximately 1 GB more than the old game disc. Not a HUGE upgrade but enough to make the difference between a game being dual-disc or one disc. Even if it won't change anything in terms of additional game content it will atleast give some extra space for higher quality videos and less compressed audio.

That's what I like about MS, they update their hardware/software over time. The 360 slim is like a 1.5 version of the original launch model in everyway. Overtime they added 1080p support, HDMI support, a new OS, N-wireless wi-fi, etc.

The only bad part to this update is that it should have been done sooner.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.   Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Major Nelson: Xbox 360 game disc getting an update.
Page 1 of 1