Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman

Go down 
+8
JayMoore
RamboOnRedBull
yonny616
Stoney
Mecha
Jack the Spectre
Bluenose
Orc
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 9:09 pm

What we have established is that Jack's problems with the Spider-man trilogy is that Peter Parker gets upset about his uncle getting killed and it all being his fault, that the secondary character is not as fleshed out as a protagonist, that Peter made a mistake by putting too much trust into people, that Harry's butler was not aware that Harry was going to get revenge on Peter and finally, that one of the superficial death scenes does not involve a zombie rising from the dead or an intricate subplot of its own.
Back to top Go down
JayMoore
Unique Grunt
Unique Grunt
JayMoore

Stature : 18
London

PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 9:18 pm

3. In Spider-Man 2, Alfred Molina was just channeling Willem Dafoe but wasn't genuine craziness. Plus Doc Ock has a sudden turnaround at the end of the film and the way he stops the sun thing is just ridiculous.

And the Lizard didn't have a stupid and pathetic turnaround in TASM? He saves Peter from death for fuck sake. I'm not even a fan and I can remember that moment after ONE viewing. If you find the film half decent, you would have realized that you're criticizing something that also happens in YOUR preferred version.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 9:31 pm

Never said that The Amazing Spider-Man was one of the greatest movies of all time. It's good, but not great. Spider-Man has a lot more potential, and this reboot is leading up to it. While The Amazing Spider-Man wasn't a perfect movie, it was definitely superior to the Raimi films. Not just because it was more faithful to the comic books, but it was just an overall better made film. The acting was better, the script was better, it was more logical; Like Spider-Man was actually holding on to something this time while swinging, and Gwen wasn't just some whiny damsel in distress just waiting to be saved. She was intelligent, likeable, and had a very good chemistry with Peter.

I like the film because it balances both of being a good film in general and a very faithful comic book movie.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 9:43 pm

JayMoore wrote:
3. In Spider-Man 2, Alfred Molina was just channeling Willem Dafoe but wasn't genuine craziness. Plus Doc Ock has a sudden turnaround at the end of the film and the way he stops the sun thing is just ridiculous.

And the Lizard didn't have a stupid and pathetic turnaround in TASM? He saves Peter from death for fuck sake. I'm not even a fan and I can remember that moment after ONE viewing. If you find the film half decent, you would have realized that you're criticizing something that also happens in YOUR preferred version.
His turnaround in The Amazing Spider-Man had some build-up to it. Doc Ock became crazy much earlier so his character hardly developed at all.
Back to top Go down
JayMoore
Unique Grunt
Unique Grunt
JayMoore

Stature : 18
London

PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 10:02 pm

TheCinemaJack wrote:
JayMoore wrote:

His turnaround in The Amazing Spider-Man had some build-up to it. Doc Ock became crazy much earlier so his character hardly developed at all.

Could you please be specific when you tell me how it worked so well in TASM? What was so riveting about Lizards turnaround apart from the copious amounts of apparent "development" that Connors had over Doc Ock. The Lizard turnaround scene was cliche, expected and unbelievably bland. As silly as the scene in Spider-Man 2 was, it at least had a heightened visual flare and most of all..... you, Jack, REMEMBERED it.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 10:09 pm

Ramzan_Kadyrov wrote:

But doesn't cry or whine half as much as Garfield. In the entire trilogy he probably has as many crying scenes than Amazing Spider-man... just ONE film. I felt the Kendo thing with ASM except it was not done so well. Rebel? Geek? Dafuq.
Garfield tears up a few times but cries only once or twice. Maguire is just so whiny. Maguire may not cry all the time, but half of his lines are just him whining

As if this wasn't the case for Gwen Stacy.
It's not the case. MJ is seen hanging from some sort of high structure like a billion times. She gets kidnapped like a billion times. Gwen Stacy actually HELPS Spider-Man and can fend for herself.

He kills an entire hospital ward, he talks to his snakey claw thingies. Come on man. Different character but there were still elements that suggest insanity. I was not overly keen on the ending either, myself but the rest of the film made up for it.
Well obviously his character was crazy. I mean the craziness of his behavior didn't feel genuine. Dafoe was a cartoon villain. Molina was trying too hard to be a cartoon villain.

Wait... what? Sure he grows a fringe, otherwise he is less emo and less depressive, whiney and brooding than Garfield. Plus this was your earlier point.
Still fucking stupid.

Yeah he claims to be a friend of Spider-man only to people he trusted I believe. And if not, either way that is a kind of nitpick. Knowing the masked spider-man and knowing who he is personally, is a different thing.
The butler did not necessarily know of Harry's plans immediately. It was only when he saw issues arise when he stepped in and decided it was his responsibility to intervene.
No follow-up to guy Goblin kills? Hahha are you serious? How is that even important? He kills a character, the characters dead. Why would there be a follow up? What you expect his zombie to rise up and get revenge? It's simply to show Goblin's rage at the time or something. It is not a whole new plot device that sets up a mysterious aspect to the narrative

He tells it to Doc Ock which seems to get him in plenty of trouble. The butler knew Norman was killed by his own glider because he mentions that in the third film to Harry. He couldn't have mentioned it earlier? Harry was pretty obvious about his obsession with killing Spider-Man. And yes, if Norman strangles a guy with his bare hands, it'd be pretty easy to figure out that he's the Green Goblin from the start, with DNA evidence and all that.

Oh please Jack, try to keep up with the most basic of points because I find your lack of understanding disturbing.

I am not criticizing its discontinuity. I am criticizing the WAY it is treated and the standard of which it is executed. Yes, Lotr films end without a conclusion to the narrative strands, much like a number of films with immediate sequels. The difference is that spider-mans plotlines are abandoned pretty early on into the film to be forgotten about with not so much as a mention of them afterwards for the rest of the film. And they are generally so abruptly dealt with and understated that you don't even care or perhaps even acknowledge that there's more to be seen from them. Understand yet or do you want me to repeat it again?
They're hardly explored in the first place. It's not like they were heavily invested in only to be dropped. They were pretty much set up for sequels all along. This is the equivalent of you complaining that the The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring abandons the whole "drop the ring into Mount Doom" plot point pretty early in favor of badass combat.

It's done so badly that even I forget at times.
It wasn't done much differently than Spider-Man, with the only difference being that Ben actually got some screen time The Amazing Spider-Man, giving it at least SOME emotional resonance.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 10:12 pm

JayMoore wrote:
TheCinemaJack wrote:
JayMoore wrote:

Could you please be specific when you tell me how it worked so well in TASM? What was so riveting about Lizards turnaround apart from the copious amounts of apparent "development" that Connors had over Doc Ock. The Lizard turnaround scene was cliche, expected and unbelievably bland. As silly as the scene in Spider-Man 2 was, it at least had a heightened visual flare and most of all..... you, Jack, REMEMBERED it.
Well, he got a lot of screen time in the beginning as somewhat of Peter's mentor. In Spider-Man 2, Doc Ock pretty much becomes Doc Ock from the very start of the film. So you can at least see some display of humanity in Lizard before he became a villain. It was cliché and expected, but at least it was somewhat believable. I remembered Lizard saving Peter, bro. I watched the movie again a few days ago. And I remembered the climax of Spider-Man 2 as well because it was a stupid way to cop out of a big problem. Being memorable does not make something good. After all, I still remember 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 7:37 am

Garfield cries 3 times in that one film and gets teary eyed or very emotional another 2 or 3 times.

The villains use MJ to get to Peter. Like in Spider-Man when Goblin says "first we attack his heart". Sure they go for May in that occasion but MJ is the closest and more important thing to him. And yeah she's helpless for the most part but she's an actress.... not a superhero. Sure she's just a damsel in distress but that's a conscious decision by Raimi. It doesn't make you care about her less because the chemistry and connection is still there. If anything it adds to the intensity of the film because she is more fragile and helpless, so there's more of a responsibility for Peter. And the Spidey-suit is a burden.

Well can you specify what made you think Molina was trying "too hard"? What didn't feel authentic to you?

Emotional resonance? Ben in ASM is an annoying, abrasive character. He's also pretty damn bland and his "with great power comes great responsibility" quote was HORRIBLE. You don't give two shits whether he lives or dies, and the way it's done makes you not care anyway. You forget he's even in the film by the end.

[quote=Jack]Still fucking stupid.
[/quote]

lol

Anyway, I forgot Spidey told Doc Oc, but wasn't that a spur of the moment thing? Must have not been thinking. It's a matter of cause-and-effect. I wouldn't call that a flaw at all. In films, characters make mistakes and end up suffering the consequences. You can't expect Peter to be a perfect character without flaws and mistakes.
And I believe he said it to Doc Octavius when he was still friendly, right? When he looked up to him and respected him.

The Butler knew Norman best, probably better than Harry because he saw things Harry did not. Remember what Norman said at the end of Spider-man 1. "Don't tell Harry". The butler was not there to witness this but it's safe to assume that he knew Norman wouldn't want Harry to know this, and wanted to honor Norman, and so did not intervene until it was really crucial.

Oh dear lord. I'd forget the drop the ring in the fire plot even though the entire trilogy is their journey to do exactly that! Every time Frodo touches the ring or puts it on or a character mentions it or the word Mordor or Sauron is mentioned you are aware that this is what they are doing. Whereas Uncle Ben dies, Spiderman looks for killer then by end of film if you even remember the death you're like.... did he catch the killer in the end or not? Because it is not made clear that he abandoned his mission. Same with the untold story and asian guy and stuff like that.

Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 9:47 am

Once again, Tobey Maguire cries way more than Andrew Garfield does in Spider-Man 3. That's a fact. At least Andrew Garfield had GOOD reasons to cry. Feeling frustrated when Ben mentions his parents, Ben getting murdered, Captain Stacy also murdered.

Where as in Spider-Man 3, Tobey Maguire cries when he finds out who really murdered Ben, cries when MJ dumps him, cries in his apartment, (don't know why?), and cries when Harry dies.

BTW, Andrew Garfield is a better actor.

Also don't try to justify MJ by basically saying, yeah, she's a damsel in distress, but that's okay because that's how Sam Raimi wanted. It's already bad enough that Kirsten Dunst sucked as MJ. Gwen Stacy was just a better written character than Raimi's MJ.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:21 pm

Both films have their good and bad points, i personally like spiderman 1 the best, because william dafoe IS NORMAN OSBORN. However maguire is not peter parker, garfield and stone were the perfect emma and parker, and this is coming from a hardcore comic nerd. However the story and villain in amaing felt really lackluster and the origin was way to long and boring. And the lizard sucks s the main antagonist, he would be better if dr connors was actually a likeable character you get to know before he goes all lizardy, like in the 90s cartoon or the comics.

sorry for the spelling errors
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:36 pm

Yeah, Tobey Maguire sucked as Peter Parker. He was always out of character. Like how in Spider-Man 2, he just walked away while someone was getting mugged. The REAL Peter Parker would have tired to save him anyway, even if his powers were gone. Now I know movies can't be 100% accurate to the comics, but come on. We can all agree that Peter should have at least done something.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Mecha wrote:
Yeah, Tobey Maguire sucked as Peter Parker. He was always out of character. Like how in Spider-Man 2, he just walked away while someone was getting mugged. The REAL Peter Parker would have saved him anyway, even if his powers were gone. Now I know movies can't be 100 accurate to the comics, but come on. We can all agree that Peter should have at least tired to save the victim.

They also completely removed his wittyness. Regardless WILLIAM DAFOE WAS THE GREATEST GREEN GOBLIN!!! I was hoping that we would get an actual main villain in amazing spiderman rather than lizard...

I hope we get someone like osborn, hobgoblin, shocker morbius in amazing spiderman 2. Man morbius would be so cool, show twilight fans a real vampire!!!
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:48 pm

Yeah, you know you have a problem when Iron Man is making more wise-cracks than Spider-Man. Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 725796345

Oh, and Electro is going to be the villain in The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Osborn might appear as well. Too bad he isn't in Iron Man 3 though. :Okay:
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 4:54 pm

Mecha wrote:
Yeah, you know you have a problem when Iron Man is making more wise-cracks than Spider-Man. Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 725796345

Oh, and Electro is going to be the villain in The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Osborn might appear as well. Too bad he isn't in Iron Man 3 though. :Okay:

Man i'd love to see Osborn take the Iron Patriot armour from stark and make his life hell, one of my fav moments in comics was when osborn beat tony stark into a coma and giving him brain damage (come on he deserved it after civil war and killing goliath!)
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 5:34 pm

Why is cyclops banned?
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 5:41 pm

Stoney wrote:
Why is cyclops banned?

He was Tahmidick
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 7:16 pm

For fucks sakes. He was contributing. This place is dying as it is. LET HIM BACK YOU GAY MODS
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 7:29 pm

I agree with Lykos.

tahmdick didn't even troll. He actually got involved into a lot of these discussions more than anyone in this forum.

I'm also surprised by his knowledge of comic books. He sure wasn't kidding when he said he reads a lot of it.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 7:41 am

Mecha wrote:
I agree with Lykos.

tahmdick didn't even troll. He actually got involved into a lot of these discussions more than anyone in this forum.

I'm also surprised by his knowledge of comic books. He sure wasn't kidding when he said he reads a lot of it.

Exactly. Plus he's a funny guy and hasn't done anything wrong this time. And with so many mods with little to do I think we could benefit from taking a few risks with new members.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 7:44 am

I agree with Lykos and Mecha. I also think he should be unbanned, despite it being completely off-topic and has nothing to do with the thread nor discussion at hand. :derp:
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 1:13 am

Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 Image10
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 2:01 am

^Doesn't that make you a faggot as well?
Back to top Go down
CleverCatchPhrase
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss

Stature : 40

PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2012 2:10 pm

Can someone lock this thread already?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman   Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spiderman trilogy vs Amazing Spiderman
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2