Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft

Go down 
+8
Stoney
Pickles1337
Jack the Spectre
Ihsahn
Franko
Raziel
TheJubJub5721
The Enkindler
12 posters
AuthorMessage
The Enkindler
Endgame Boss
Endgame Boss

Stature : 86
Greece
Playing : Plenty of games, and I can't count them.

Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft Empty
PostSubject: Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft   Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 4:11 pm

Quote :
"Piracy is not theft, If you steal a car, the original is lost. If you copy a game, there are simply more of them in the world. There is no such thing as a 'lost sale'. Is a bad review a lost sale? What about a missed ship date?"
Source: Destructoid
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/azazel166
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft   Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 4:23 pm

He has a good point.
Back to top Go down
Raziel
Creep
Creep
Raziel

Stature : 0

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft   Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 5:26 pm

doesn't mean piracy don't affect sales
Back to top Go down
Franko
Area Boss
Area Boss
Franko

Stature : 20
Southern Fairy
Playing : Meh

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft   Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 6:15 pm

its funny. i pirated minecraft first... then a week later i brought it
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

Stature : 4

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft   Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 7:00 pm

Well, he is right. It isn't theft. Is it wrong? Subjective, but it's not theft.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft   Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 11:26 pm

Well I don't know what to compare it to. Cloning a TV then taking it? Theft is probably the closest comparison we can make.
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft   Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 2:17 am

I have a cloning ray gun. If I shoot it at something, it makes a copy right next to it.

My friend has Red Dead and I clone it using my magic ray gun. He payed 60 bucks while I payed nothing for my new copy.

Yeah. I'm not a thief. eye roll
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft   Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 5:40 am

Fuck off. lol
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

Stature : 4

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft   Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 12:47 pm

TRF wrote:
Well I don't know what to compare it to. Cloning a TV then taking it? Theft is probably the closest comparison we can make.
You could always just call it piracy, lol. Pirating =/= stealing. It has its own unique definition.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft   Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 3:50 pm

Stoney wrote:
Fuck off. lol

Notch makes several good points.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft   Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 4:00 pm

Well, not that everyone has the OK to pirate MinceCraft, I'm sure he wouldn't mind...
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Franko
Area Boss
Area Boss
Franko

Stature : 20
Southern Fairy
Playing : Meh

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft   Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 4:34 pm

Teckno wrote:
Well, not that everyone has the OK to pirate MinceCraft, I'm sure he wouldn't mind...
well if you pirate Minecraft and get it to work. your just stuck with Single player without Auto updating
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft   Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 6:34 pm

Franko wrote:
its funny. i pirated minecraft first... then a week later i brought it

Same. I thought "this game cannot be this great" so I pirated and bought it a week or two later.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft   Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 11:36 pm

His logic is very flawed. You can't compare a physical item to software when it comes to theft.
Back to top Go down
Azazel
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Azazel

Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft 5DfcoiC
Stature : 7
Equestria

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft   Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 12:30 am

BlackStigma wrote:
His logic is very flawed. You can't compare a physical item to software when it comes to theft.

I agree. Take two objects, 1 physical and 1 abstract.

With the physical object, 1=1, meaning that you are only stealing 1 since building another technically makes it legally yours.

With the abstract object (software), 1=1+X, meaning that because you can make endless copies it does cost the company a potential sale(s). The pirate still retains the original while any number of other people could have a copy and they can make even more.

Also correct me if I am wrong, but aren't review copies given at the discretion of the company who made the game?
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft   Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 1:41 am

Deus Ex Machina wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:

I agree. Take two objects, 1 physical and 1 abstract.

With the physical object, 1=1, meaning that you are only stealing 1 since building another technically makes it legally yours.

With the abstract object (software), 1=1+X, meaning that because you can make endless copies it does cost the company a potential sale(s). The pirate still retains the original while any number of other people could have a copy and they can make even more.

Also correct me if I am wrong, but aren't review copies given at the discretion of the company who made the game?

QFT.

Also /thread.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft   Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Who the fuck releases a game and holds back reviews? That's terrible rep for a company.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft   Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Minecraft Dev: Piracy is not theft
Page 1 of 1