Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it?

Go down 
+4
Shin_Akuma
Bluenose
Mr Canai Spy
Mecha
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it? R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it? Empty
PostSubject: Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it?   Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 2:03 pm

Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it? 94910

Quote :
The fans are pissed and yet, the review scores are, for the most part, through the roof.

Maybe none of those critics were fans (although that's difficult to believe). Or maybe, just maybe, the fact that many reviewers simply don't have the time to finish big games like Mass Effect 3 before posting a review played a role.

I did not finish ME3 before posting the review. Back in 2009, I posted a clarifying feature that dealt with the harsh truths of the state of game reviewing; accept them or not, those all remain true today. While a few - a very few - of the biggest sources have the staff and resources to play every game through to completion before issuing a review, for the vast majority of sites, it just isn't possible. And given the demanding nature of the gaming public, we can't afford to be late. You lose attention and traffic if you're frequently late.

I will absolutely guarantee that not every critic finished ME3 before writing the review. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if most didn't finish. Some hardcore fans who have complained bitterly about the endings have even suggested as much, saying there's no way the game would've received such high marks if more critics had actually completed the adventure. It's a perfectly legitimate question and one that deserves to be addressed. However, I can only speak for myself; you'll have to be satisfied with that-

First and foremost, in over a decade of reviewing games, I have very very rarely written a review, finished the game in question at a later date, and said to myself, "Gee, I want to change my score." The bottom line is that seasoned critics know when they've seen enough, when they can accurately gauge the product's quality, and this almost never requires us to complete the game. Perhaps when the day comes that sees much more complex storylines, this will change. But that's the only thing that will change; controls, basic mechanics, graphics, music, voice performances, etc.; these elements won't suddenly become much better or worse as the game progresses. That just doesn't happen.

Secondly, I've seen the endings now and no, I'm sorry, I wouldn't change my score. I really don't see what all the ruckus is about but admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of the franchise. Call that bias if you like, and say that it renders my score null and void, but that's the way it is. I would also direct you to reviewers I know completed the game and still awarded it a very high score, so perhaps this isn't too big of an issue. Thirdly and finally, maybe it's important to acknowledge that at its core and from an analytical point of view, Mass Effect 3 is a superior piece of work. At least doing that much will give BioWare some of the credit they deserve.

As for the rest...fight amongst yourselves. I love you

Source: PSX
Back to top Go down
Mr Canai Spy
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Mr Canai Spy

Stature : 47
Weymouth
Playing : halo 5, rise of the tomb raider

PostSubject: Re: Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it?   Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 3:16 pm

Just completed ME3 and the ending and in fact most of the story i.e the cutscenes are the best ive ever seen in a game and in fact the ending blew me away :freddie:

Spoiler:

ME3 is now one of my all time favourite games EVER :fuckyea:
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it?   Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 4:37 pm

Wasn't it obvious already?
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Shin_Akuma
Merchant
Merchant
Shin_Akuma

Stature : 1

PostSubject: Re: Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it?   Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 5:27 pm

Mr Canai Spy wrote:
Just completed ME3 and the ending and in fact most of the story i.e the cutscenes are the best ive ever seen in a game and in fact the ending blew me away :freddie:

Spoiler:

People arent mad because it wasnt a happy ending they are mad because it was stupid, nonsensical, has no relation to the entire trilogy, and none of your choices mattered. After being promised "16 endings where your choices count" in pre release interviews and advertisements. Its not ok to lie to people like that. Instead we got ending 1a 1b and 1c
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it?   Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 7:19 am

Shin_Akuma wrote:
Mr Canai Spy wrote:

Spoiler:

People arent mad because it wasnt a happy ending they are mad because it was stupid, nonsensical, has no relation to the entire trilogy, and none of your choices mattered. After being promised "16 endings where your choices count" in pre release interviews and advertisements. Its not ok to lie to people like that. Instead we got ending 1a 1b and 1c

Pick a colour, lol.

If you had any investment in the game, the ending was a kick in the bollox. "Mass Effect is built around choice and consequnces", yet the ending totally negates all of that.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it?   Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 1:26 am

Stoney wrote:
Shin_Akuma wrote:
Mr Canai Spy wrote:

Spoiler:

Pick a colour, lol.

If you had any investment in the game, the ending was a kick in the bollox. "Mass Effect is built around choice and consequnces", yet the ending totally negates all of that.

I posted this on the Bioware forums.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
The Enkindler
Endgame Boss
Endgame Boss

Stature : 86
Greece
Playing : Plenty of games, and I can't count them.

PostSubject: Re: Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it?   Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 7:14 am

The_Biotic_God wrote:
Stoney wrote:
Shin_Akuma wrote:
Mr Canai Spy wrote:

Spoiler:

Pick a colour, lol.

Spoiler:
Would you be so kind to provide a link to your post?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/azazel166
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

The Gutter

PostSubject: Re: Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it?   Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 10:50 am

The_Biotic_God wrote:
Stoney wrote:
Shin_Akuma wrote:
Mr Canai Spy wrote:

Spoiler:

Pick a colour, lol.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it?   Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 12:18 pm

^

Did you read the entire thing?

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

The Gutter

PostSubject: Re: Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it?   Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 12:47 pm

^

Did you read the entire thing?

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
To me, it's cop out on behave of BioWare.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it?   Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 2:12 pm

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
ArchAngel
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ArchAngel

Stature : 20
Heaven
Playing : Sarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it?   Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 5:23 pm

Spoiler:

Put spoiler box over your posts. -Teckno Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it? SheikhHessam
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

The Gutter

PostSubject: Re: Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it?   Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 10:19 am

^^

SPACE MAGIC
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it?   Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 11:03 pm

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it?   Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Did Mass Effect 3 get high scores because many critics didn't finish it?
Page 1 of 1