Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

Used game market is to blame for high prices?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Used game market is to blame for high prices? R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

Used game market is to blame for high prices? Empty
PostSubject: Used game market is to blame for high prices?   Used game market is to blame for high prices? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 4:50 pm

Used game market is to blame for high prices? Used-v10

Quote :
Some hardcore gamers aren't too happy with the explosion of multiplayer and the fact that single-player adventures seem to be taking a back seat. On top of which, players often complain about the cost of games.

And Frontier Developments founder David Braben says if you feel games are too pricey, and you feel single-player popularity is on the decline, blame the used game market. In a lengthy Gamasutra interview, Braben said he won't buy a pre-owned game "on principle" and in fact, the used game market is "killing the core games."

"The real problem when you think about it brutally, if you look at just core gamer games, pre-owned has really killed core games. In some cases, it’s killed them dead. I know publishers who have stopped games in development because most shops won’t reorder stock after initial release, because they rely on the churn from the resales. I won’t buy a pre-owned game out of principle."

For years, publishers and developers have been complaining about used games, as they only result in more profit for retailers, but not another dime for the companies that actually produced the title. Furthermore, Braben added that day-one sales are no longer an automatic indicator of success, and this goes double for single-player-oriented games.

"But it’s killing single player games in particular, because they will get pre-owned, and it means your day one sales are it, making them super high risk. I mean, the idea of a game selling out used to be a good thing, but nowadays, those people who buy it on day one may well finish it and return it.

People will say ‘Oh well, I paid all this money and it’s mine to do with as I will’, but the problem is that’s what’s keeping the retail price up — prices would have come down long ago if the industry was getting a share of the resells."

Strong statements. What do you think?

Source: PSX
Back to top Go down
Mikenuge
Guard
Guard
Mikenuge

Stature : 39
UK
Playing : With my small penis

PostSubject: Re: Used game market is to blame for high prices?   Used game market is to blame for high prices? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 5:42 pm

well to be fair if some trades in a game it means that they have already paid for there copy meaning the devs and publisher has had there slice of the pie they just want moar money so they put online passes and shit and soon there will be a story pass UNLESS it all goes digital !
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Used game market is to blame for high prices?   Used game market is to blame for high prices? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 5:55 pm

I might be imagining, but that looks a lot like the Gamestop I go to. O.O
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
CleverCatchPhrase
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss

Stature : 40

PostSubject: Re: Used game market is to blame for high prices?   Used game market is to blame for high prices? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 12:34 pm

Quote :
In some cases, it’s killed them dead.

Used game market is to blame for high prices? Misc-y10
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: Used game market is to blame for high prices?   Used game market is to blame for high prices? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 12:39 pm

Fuck it, I don't care.
I bought 4 good games for under £5 the other day (the cheapest being priced at £0.40), all thanks to the pre-owned game market.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Used game market is to blame for high prices?   Used game market is to blame for high prices? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Used game market is to blame for high prices?
Page 1 of 1