Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When do you want to see the next generation of consoles?

Go down 
+8
Pickles1337
Mikenuge
Archduke
Bluenose
TheJubJub5721
NoelX2
Blixtstorm
Stoney
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

When do you want to see the next generation of consoles? Empty
PostSubject: When do you want to see the next generation of consoles?   When do you want to see the next generation of consoles? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 11:50 am

And what do you expect from them? When can we expect to here about them? Will there be a big graphical leap? (For the graphic whores like me Razz ) Would you rather them sooner or later?

(Thought I start a discussion thread that people will be interested in since Kojima Productions are hiring for "next generation MGS staff" ; - Click for details)
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
Blixtstorm

Stature : 18
Sweden
Playing : TDU2 (PC) / Minecraft (Tekkit modpack)

PostSubject: Re: When do you want to see the next generation of consoles?   When do you want to see the next generation of consoles? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 12:31 pm

I think fall/winter 2013 at the earliest. And that would give Kojima staff about 2 years for a launch game, and that is pretty much industry standard.

I think the graphics wont be an huge improvement this time, maybe for the next Nintendo console... I think that they will try to keep a good frame-rate at 1080p, for example atleast 30 to 60FPS about the current high-average gaming computer specs now.

I think that 2013 would be good year for them, since its about 8 years since the launch of the 360 (November 2005) and about 7 for the PS3 (November 2006).And since they both claim 10 years life-span we will probably see a new Xbox first around CES 2013 or E3/VGA 2012.
Back to top Go down
NoelX2
Final Boss
Final Boss
NoelX2

Stature : 91
Playing : SF3

PostSubject: Re: When do you want to see the next generation of consoles?   When do you want to see the next generation of consoles? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 3:08 pm

2012 announcement
2013 release.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XNoel2?feature=mhum
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

PostSubject: Re: When do you want to see the next generation of consoles?   When do you want to see the next generation of consoles? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 4:19 pm

I'd say 4 years from now would be good. I really don't see this gen really ending anytime soon anyways.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: When do you want to see the next generation of consoles?   When do you want to see the next generation of consoles? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 4:25 pm

NoelX2 wrote:
2012 announcement
2013 release.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: When do you want to see the next generation of consoles?   When do you want to see the next generation of consoles? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 6:09 pm

Winter 2012, before the world ends.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Mikenuge
Guard
Guard
Mikenuge

Stature : 39
UK
Playing : With my small penis

PostSubject: Re: When do you want to see the next generation of consoles?   When do you want to see the next generation of consoles? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 6:51 pm

Stoney wrote:
And what do you expect from them? When can we expect to here about them? Will there be a big graphical leap? (For the graphic whores like me Razz ) Would you rather them sooner or later?

(Thought I start a discussion thread that people will be interested in since Kojima Productions are hiring for "next generation MGS staff" ; - Click for details)

this plz
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

PostSubject: Re: When do you want to see the next generation of consoles?   When do you want to see the next generation of consoles? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 2:06 am

Never.

I don't want to spend another 300-400 bucks on a new system.

What are they gonna add? New graphical enhancements? I'm pretty sure it's gonna be small. I don't care if they make the faces so realistic I can see their pores. These new FPS games are hardly a step-up from last-gen's. Next-gen, it's just gonna get worse.

Also, won't this ruin developers? Isn't it expensive to make a game. They spend millions on a new engine so that graphic whores don't vomit at the sight of "dated" technology. This will most likely get more expensive Next-gen.

This will rape innovation. Once the new technology gets out, mouth-breathing developers will make the same old games they've been making in order to show what the hardware can do. Shit, I didn't know next-gen could do games about aliens taking over the world. Never heard of that before.

Isn't what we have enough? Look at L.A. Noire. It makes the cast of Half-life look like dead-eyed monstrosities. MAG could support 200-something players in one room. My games are realistic enough, I went from 2d on my Snes to 3d on my Ps1 to realistic 3d on my Ps2...

...and then slightly more realistic 3d on my 360.

See the problem?

I hope they don't come out with new consoles. If they do, I hope they're so advanced that they'll hit a brick wall and STOP making games the equivalent of Avatar.
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ghost23

Stature : 11
Australia

PostSubject: Re: When do you want to see the next generation of consoles?   When do you want to see the next generation of consoles? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 4:20 am

Pickles1337 wrote:
Never.

What are they gonna add? New graphical enhancements? I'm pretty sure it's gonna be small. I don't care if they make the faces so realistic I can see their pores. These new FPS games are hardly a step-up from last-gen's. Next-gen, it's just gonna get worse.

Also, won't this ruin developers? Isn't it expensive to make a game. They spend millions on a new engine so that graphic whores don't vomit at the sight of "dated" technology. This will most likely get more expensive Next-gen.

This will rape innovation. Once the new technology gets out, mouth-breathing developers will make the same old games they've been making in order to show what the hardware can do. Shit, I didn't know next-gen could do games about aliens taking over the world. Never heard of that before.

Isn't what we have enough? Look at L.A. Noire. It makes the cast of Half-life look like dead-eyed monstrosities. MAG could support 200-something players in one room. My games are realistic enough, I went from 2d on my Snes to 3d on my Ps1 to realistic 3d on my Ps2...

See the problem?

I hope they don't come out with new consoles. If they do, I hope they're so advanced that they'll hit a brick wall and STOP making games the equivalent of Avatar.

You do realise what you said is basically 100% impossible. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are corporations, they exist to make money so they need to keep pushing out content to make that money.

You can hope for there to be no new console as much as you want, but the truth is that it's going to happen.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: When do you want to see the next generation of consoles?   When do you want to see the next generation of consoles? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 5:25 am

Another few years. I don't want one this or next year. The system's currently have the potential to be strong, big-sellers for another 4 or 5 years I reckon.

You may have read that article about Xbox 360 is selling better than ps2 was when it was at this stage in it's life cycle.

Why bring out another system that will cost loads just for better graphics?

Well, whenever the new generation starts, you guys can feel free to go ahead without me. I'm sticking to my Xbox (and soon wii) for a while longer.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

The Gutter

PostSubject: Re: When do you want to see the next generation of consoles?   When do you want to see the next generation of consoles? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 7:39 am

Pickles1337 wrote:
Never.

See the problem?

You do know most of the top devs in the world are developing new a better engines that at this time can only be ran on really powerful gaming PC's. Mark Rein, chairman of Epic Games has said that the Unreal Engine 4 will be ready in 2012 for "Next Gen consoles and PC's". That doesn't mean that the next gen of consoles will be in 2012, but it does mean there will be another gen of them.

Quote :
In March 2008, Sweeney predicted that the number of developers working on Unreal Engine 4 would be ramped up to three or four engineers by the end of that year, and appeared to suggest that it would be aimed predominantly at the next generation of consoles rather than PCs: "Unreal Engine 4 will exclusively target the next console generation, Microsoft's successor for the Xbox 360, Sony's successor for the Playstation 3 - and if Nintendo ships a machine with similar hardware specs, then that also.

"However, Rein later confirmed Unreal Engine 4 was coming to PC first, and clarified: "When Tim Sweeney was talking about Unreal Engine 4 [...] he mentioned something along the lines of it being exclusively for the next generation of consoles [...] what he meant was, it won't run on this generation of consoles."

Due to its focus on the next console generation, Michael Capps, President of Epic Games, indicated that Unreal Engine 4 should be ready around 2012.
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: When do you want to see the next generation of consoles?   When do you want to see the next generation of consoles? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 10:17 am

I'd rather they waited for at least a few more years before they started the next gen, i mean is it really needed right now?
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

PostSubject: Re: When do you want to see the next generation of consoles?   When do you want to see the next generation of consoles? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 9:00 pm

Stoney wrote:
Pickles1337 wrote:
Never.

See the problem?

You do know most of the top devs in the world are developing new a better engines that at this time can only be ran on really powerful gaming PC's. Mark Rein, chairman of Epic Games has said that the Unreal Engine 4 will be ready in 2012 for "Next Gen consoles and PC's". That doesn't mean that the next gen of consoles will be in 2012, but it does mean there will be another gen of them.

Quote :
In March 2008, Sweeney predicted that the number of developers working on Unreal Engine 4 would be ramped up to three or four engineers by the end of that year, and appeared to suggest that it would be aimed predominantly at the next generation of consoles rather than PCs: "Unreal Engine 4 will exclusively target the next console generation, Microsoft's successor for the Xbox 360, Sony's successor for the Playstation 3 - and if Nintendo ships a machine with similar hardware specs, then that also.

"However, Rein later confirmed Unreal Engine 4 was coming to PC first, and clarified: "When Tim Sweeney was talking about Unreal Engine 4 [...] he mentioned something along the lines of it being exclusively for the next generation of consoles [...] what he meant was, it won't run on this generation of consoles."

Due to its focus on the next console generation, Michael Capps, President of Epic Games, indicated that Unreal Engine 4 should be ready around 2012.

What's the point of it then?
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

PostSubject: Re: When do you want to see the next generation of consoles?   When do you want to see the next generation of consoles? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 9:12 pm

ghost23 wrote:
Pickles1337 wrote:
Never.

See the problem?

You do realise what you said is basically 100% impossible. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are corporations, they exist to make money so they need to keep pushing out content to make that money.

You can hope for there to be no new console as much as you want, but the truth is that it's going to happen.

Here's the thing. It costs billions to make a console from scratch. Not only that. Think about the 4 billion dollars the original Xbox lost Microsoft or the 1 billion they lost on the 360 with the RROD. Or the fact that Sony lost money up until recently with every Ps3 they sold.

Seriously look it up if you don't believe me.

Next-gen they'll probably end up losing even more money. It's not just for my wallet's sake. It's for Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo too.

If games cost 70 bucks next-gen I quit gaming forever.(lol someone already said that).

Also sorry higher-uppers for the double post.
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ghost23

Stature : 11
Australia

PostSubject: Re: When do you want to see the next generation of consoles?   When do you want to see the next generation of consoles? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 9:36 pm

Pickles1337 wrote:

Here's the thing. It costs billions to make a console from scratch. Not only that. Think about the 4 billion dollars the original Xbox lost Microsoft or the 1 billion they lost on the 360 with the RROD. Or the fact that Sony lost money up until recently with every Ps3 they sold.

Seriously look it up if you don't believe me.

Next-gen they'll probably end up losing even more money. It's not just for my wallet's sake. It's for Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo too.

If games cost 70 bucks next-gen I quit gaming forever.(lol someone already said that).

Also sorry higher-uppers for the double post.

Firstly, from where did you source that statistic that it takes billions of dollars to make a console, secondly are you talking about just development or are you factoring in manufacturing?

The $4 billion dollars that Microsoft supposedly lost on XBOX was never confirmed by the company itself and just predictions. Plus the main reason that they operated at a loss was because of Sony's monopoly in the market which is never good for the consumers. Thank god Microsoft and Nintendo brought a bit more competition in the market this generation. They clearly knew when they launched the original XBOX that they were going to be operating at a loss for most, if not all of they life cycle due to the monopoly.

This generation taught both Sony and Microsoft a few lessons, hopefully Microsoft learnt that they have to put their hardware through better testing to ensure reliability and hopefully Sony learnt that they should not price their console so high at launch because not a lot of people are willing to buy it. I think that both companies will rectify their mistakes next time around. All the losses from hardware failure and low consumer demand will most likely not be repeated next generation. You don't really need to worry about Microsoft and Sony's wallets, they have expert financial analysts, accountants and economists plus they also make a shitload of money from other sources.
As a side note, Microsoft makes $1 billion revenue from XBOX Live each year.

Also, please stop complaining how you may or may not pay $70 for games. In Australia, the RRP for games is $119 AUD. With the current exchange rate, that equals $119 USD. We pay 100 bucks for a new release retail standard edition. There are people who are less fortunate than you are, but I just suck it up and work a bit harder because its gaming is something that I enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

The Gutter

PostSubject: Re: When do you want to see the next generation of consoles?   When do you want to see the next generation of consoles? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 6:57 am

Gaming seems to get cheaper and cheaper when you think about it. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time cost me, well my mum lol, £65. Now that's when Irelands currency was the Irish punt/pound, which would equal to about 80 euros now. All N64 and PS1 game where between £50 and in some cases £60 only when the PS2 and Irelands change of currency to the Euro did prices go down.

So what I'm trying to say is, a new X360/PS3 game is 45-50 Euros, and new N64 game would be 65-80 euros if take inflation and currency price into consideration.

Hardware is expensive, but the software is getting cheaper.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: When do you want to see the next generation of consoles?   When do you want to see the next generation of consoles? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 6:02 pm

Not very soon...I'm getting a PS3.

It would suck ass if they started rolling out new consoles now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When do you want to see the next generation of consoles?   When do you want to see the next generation of consoles? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When do you want to see the next generation of consoles?
Page 1 of 1