Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances Empty
PostSubject: New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances   New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 11:06 am

Quote :
The Vancouver Island-based developer is made up of former Bioware and Relic employees, and has introduced the Blink VR locomotion mechanic. Using an "elastic VR playspace", Cloudhead claims to be delivering a "100-percent nausea-free play experience."

According to the press release, it combines three systems: Cinematic Blink, Precision Blink, and Volume Blink. "The locomotion mechanic ensures player safety, deep traversal and complete spacial [sic] awareness in both the virtual and real world."
Nausea in virtual reality is usually caused by the player seeing motion that their inner ear isn't mimicking. "Blinking" - or teleporting - across short distances should overcome this problem.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/12/nausea-free-technology-is-coming-to-vr?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20%28front%20page%29&utm_content=12&utm_campaign=Blogroll
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances   New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 11:08 am

I wonder when we'll start using VR?
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances   New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 11:20 am

Mecha wrote:
I wonder when we'll start using VR?

Well, Oculus Rift is out early next year, but I don't see VR becoming a mass-market until it's completely wireless and not dependent on other machines.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances   New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 3:35 pm

Quote :
Inventor of the Oculus Rift, Palmer Luckey, has responded to James Cameron's less than enthusiastic reaction to the potential of virtual reality tech in the entertainment industry.

Late last year Cameron revealed he'd taken the Oculus Rift for a spin, but described it as "a yawn, frankly." Now, Luckey has argued Cameron couldn't be more wrong.

"He is incorrect," Luckey told IGN. "All you have to do is try virtual reality to understand that it goes beyond anything you can do, even on a 3D television or a 3D movie screen.

"Being surrounded, feeling like you’re actually present in a virtual world, it gives you a much more compelling canvas to tell stories with than having to frame everything into a small rectangle you just watch. I think that speaks for itself."
Cameron's resistance to VR has raised eyebrows as he was one of the earliest adopters of 3D technology for use in his film, Avatar

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/12/palmer-luckey-brands-james-cameron-incorrect-about-virtual-reality
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances   New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 6:22 pm

I'd really like to see how they incorporate this into films without making it useless like 3D. I really honestly think someone should try and make a movie in first-person... if that's even possible.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances   New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 6:43 pm

yonny616 wrote:
I'd really like to see how they incorporate this into films without making it useless like 3D. I really honestly think someone should try and make a movie in first-person... if that's even possible.

You mean like in Elijah Wood's Maniac? Or like Oculus Studio's animated project Henry

or like this:

Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances   New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 7:02 pm

Kinda afraid to see Maniac. I mean, Hannibal is pretty fuck up at times, but I don't think I can sit through seeing violence against women like that.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances   New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2015 9:45 pm

@RamboOnRedBull Fucking hell, that scene from Maniac was just creepy as fuck.

But yes, like make the film an entire first person experience.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances   New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New VR Technology allows for "Cutting/blinking" between distances
Page 1 of 1