Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again Empty
PostSubject: Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again   Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 11:06 am

Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again Fphddy10

Quote :
There are a number of filmmakers who have made it clear they won't work with Marvel again, but also plenty of others who have and will. It sounds like Game of Thrones vet Alan Taylor falls into the former camp based on recent comments in an interview with Uproxx to promote Terminator Genisys. "They were very different," he said when asked to compare his experience working on this movie to working with Marvel on Thor: The Dark World (which has a respectable 65% on RT). "I’ve done two and I’ve learned that you don’t make a $170 million movie with someone else’s money and not have to collaborate a lot. The Marvel experience was particularly wrenching because I was sort of given absolute freedom while we were shooting, and then in post it turned into a different movie. So, that is something I hope never to repeat and don’t wish upon anybody else."

We'll probably never know how much Thor: The Dark World was changed by Marvel, but it's no doubt thanks to them that he was able to helm a movie as big as Terminator Genisys. Who does he have to blame for that movie's tepid reviews? Not the studio, as it turns out that they were a lot more collaborative than Marvel. "This was not like that. The story we started telling is essentially the story we finished and are bringing out into the world. But there was a lot of collaboration, as there is going to be on something this big." What do you think about these comments?

Source: Comic Book Movie
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again   Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 11:26 am

Marvel hired him for the same reason they hire any of their directors: To control and get rid of his vision, so they can force down their own.

It's so evident in the Marvel movies how little of the directors(s)' visions ever come through.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again   Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 11:39 am

This is why I hate when Marvel directors get way too much credit. I mean, you're going to set there and tell me that the Russo brothers were hired to direct Captain America: The Winter Soldier because of how great of a job they have done with You, Me and Dupree? GTFO! I bet once Ant-Man comes out, people are going to praise how good of a job Peyton Reed has done with Ant-Man. Even though it's casting, ideas, and vision for the film are all from Marvel and Edgar Wright. Even Peyton Reed admitted that his only job was to make sure Ant-Man had a consistent tone. That's it.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again   Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 4:13 pm

This is old news, but this is the cost of a shared universe.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again   Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 4:16 pm

@yonny616 Marve's way isn't the only way to create a film universe.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again   Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 4:22 pm

Mecha wrote:
Never said it was. Doesn't change the fact that there's also the vision the studio has for their universe. They won't compromise on that.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again   Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 4:30 pm

You know Warner Bros. cares more about a director's vision when they have big name filmmakers like Zack Snyder, Ben Affleck, David Ayer, Patty Jenkins, James Wan, Chris Miller and Phil Lord involved with these DC films.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again   Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 4:32 pm

yonny616 wrote:
Mecha wrote:
Never said it was. Doesn't change the fact that there's also the vision the studio has for their universe. They won't compromise on that.

There's no reason that Marvel couldn't just let directors explore within Marvel's own singular vision. If Marvel cared, they'd have told the filmmaker's upfront what the planned vision is, and then let the filmmakers make suggestion and collaborate on whether there are better options.

Instead, they hire directors that haven't been established so they can fuck them over, and make cliché'd movies with the same formula and stories again and again and again.

@Mecha

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again   Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 4:52 pm

The real problem with Marvel's cinematic universe plan is that they are making their movies way too episodic. Now before people like Yonny start telling me, "Well DC is making their movies episodic as well", there is a difference between connecting movies and making them episodic. Warner Bros. are not in any pressure to make the DC Cinematic Universe in chronological order. Where as Marvel, they need to put out all of these other movies before a certain movie comes out. As a result, the movie get rushed and compresses the director's creative freedom.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again   Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 4:54 pm

Mecha wrote:
You know Warner Bros. cares more about a director's vision when they have big name filmmakers like Zack Snyder, Ben Affleck, David Ayer, Patty Jenkins, James Wan, Chris Miller and Phil Lord involved with these DC films.
Eh. Warner Bros. has their vision and they're going to uphold to that vision. Otherwise Wonder Woman's director would still be Michelle McLaren. They'll give them a direction to go in and that's what Marvel, at least what Feige says, they do as well. Though if they don't like how it's turning out they'll step in. Warner Bros. so far seems to be more hands off than Marvel, and that probably has to do with the fact that they also make a variety of different films unlike Marvel who only makes one and can be that looming watchful figure over their universe.

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
There's no reason that Marvel couldn't just let directors explore within Marvel's own singular vision. If Marvel cared, they'd have told the filmmaker's upfront what the planned vision is, and then let the filmmakers make suggestion and collaborate on whether there are better options.

Instead, they hire directors that haven't been established so they can fuck them over, and make cliché'd movies with the same formula and stories again and again and again.
And that's what they do, according to Feige. They tell them what things need to be in the film and then let them work with and around that. TDW wasn't coming out like they wanted it so they stepped in. Like I said in my response to Mecha above: Warner Bros. so far seems to be more hands off than Marvel, and that probably has to do with the fact that they also make a huge variety of different films unlike Marvel who only makes one kind and can be that looming watchful figure over their universe.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again   Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 5:01 pm

yonny616 wrote:

RamboOnRedBull wrote:

And that's what they do, according to Feige. They tell them what things need to be in the film and then let them work with and around that. TDW wasn't coming out like they wanted it so they stepped in. Like I said in my response to Mecha above: Warner Bros. so far seems to be more hands off than Marvel, and that probably has to do with the fact that they also make a huge variety of different films unlike Marvel who only makes one kind and can be that looming watchful figure over their universe.

Feige? You mean the same guy who said Marvel hopes people will realize that their movies will never turn dark or grim, despite Marvel having advertised their movies like that, as of recently? Yeah, he never talks bullshit...

Regardless of what Marvel says, it's insanely obvious by how little control Marvel gives to its directors. You can tell how many times they've re-used plots, themes, story structure, twists, moments, etc. in almost every Marvel movie. That is forcing down their vision due to a lack of care, and not out of collaboration.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again   Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 5:15 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
yonny616 wrote:

RamboOnRedBull wrote:

Feige? You mean the same guy who said Marvel hopes people will realize that their movies will never turn dark or grim, despite Marvel having advertised their movies like that, as of recently? Yeah, he never talks bullshit...

Regardless of what Marvel says, it's insanely obvious by how little control Marvel gives to its directors. You can tell how many times they've re-used plots, themes, story structure, twists, moments, etc. in almost every Marvel movie. That is forcing down their vision due to a lack of care, and not out of collaboration.
He doesn't. What he said about their films and their films marketing is exactly true. Razz
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again   Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 5:25 pm

@yonny616 Maybe Warner Bros. is hands off because they trust their director's vision? =/
Just look at Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, it looks like Watchmen. Hell, the characters in Suicide Squad are tattooed like the characters from David Ayer's other films. But when someone like Edgar Wright tries to bring his own style, that's a big no no for Marvel. Obviously, Warner Bros. aren't strict with their direction to the filmmakers as Marvel are.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again   Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 5:38 pm

yonny616 wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
yonny616 wrote:

RamboOnRedBull wrote:

He doesn't. What he said about their films and their films marketing is exactly true. Razz

I love you, bro <3
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again   Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 6:27 pm

Mecha wrote:
@yonny616 Maybe Warner Bros. is hands off because they trust their director's vision? =/
Just look at Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, it looks like Watchmen. Hell, the characters in Suicide Squad are tattooed like the characters from David Ayer's other films. But when someone like Edgar Wright tries to bring his own style, that's a big no no for Marvel. Obviously, Warner Bros. aren't strict with their direction to the filmmakers as Marvel are.
Probably because Warner Bros. ain't got time to be policing their DC universe when they make a plethora of other films so they're giving the writer, or writers in some cases, a direction (basically bulletin points) of what they want to see in the film and the writer(s) work with those and WB trusts the talent to not fuck it up. Marvel only makes one type of film and have their universe planned out all the way to 2020, which apparently they had two routes. One with Spider-Man and one without Spider-Man. WB may pop in here and there to be all like: "Hey guys, what chu doin?", while Marvel is the teacher standing over you while you're taking the exam.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again   Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2015 2:38 pm

"They embrace creative ideas", then why did Edgar Wright left then? Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again 725796345
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again   Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2015 2:48 pm

Mecha wrote:

"They embrace creative ideas", then why did Edgar Wright left then? Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again 725796345

If they did, their movies wouldn't be so cliché'd and generic, in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again   Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2015 7:20 pm

Selma Director Passes On Marvel's BLACK PANTHER; "We Couldn't See Eye To Eye"

Quote :
Ever since Ava DuVernay was revealed to be in talks with Marvel Studios to potentially helm the long-awaited Black Panther adaptation, the Selma director has become the ideal candidate; and there were even rumors the she was in final negotiations. However, the filmmaker herself has unfortunately confirmed to Essence that those "talks" with the studio have since fallen through.

“I guess I'll declare my independence from this rumor on 4th of July [and] Essence weekend!” said DuVernay, today. “I'm not signing on to direct Black Panther. I think I’ll just say we had different ideas about what the story would be. Marvel has a certain way of doing things and I think they’re fantastic and a lot of people love what they do. I loved that they reached out to me.”

Ava DuVernay also confirmed meeting with the star of the Black Panther film, Chadwick Boseman, who is currently filming for the character's cinematic debut in Captain America: Civil War. “I loved meeting Chadwick and writers and all the Marvel execs,” she said. “In the end, it comes down to story and perspective. And we just didn't see eye to eye. Better for me to realize that now than cite creative differences later.” Not to mention the Ant-Man split between Marvel and director Edgar Wright. Despite not signing on to helm Black Panther, DuVernay says she's still in support of the movie. “I love the character of Black Panther, the nation of Wakanda and all that that could be visually. I wish them well and will be first in line to see it," she said. What do you think?

Marvel Studios' Kevin Feige recently confirmed meeting with Ava DuVernay among several other filmmakers. And despite today's unfortunate news, the producer also said we should find out who is directing Black Panther by the end of the summer. Anyhow, starring Chadwick Boseman (T'Challa) with Ernie Hudson (T'Chaka) possibly on board, Black Panther is scheduled to open on July 6, 2018.

Source: Comic Book Movie
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again   Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2015 12:54 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again   Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alan Taylor is never working with Marvel again
Page 1 of 1