Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014

Go down 
+2
Archduke
Angelus
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014 ZDL7A4I
Stature : 342
Canada
Playing : Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Ys: Celceta
Watching : Darksydephil

MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014 Empty
PostSubject: MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014   MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 9:51 am

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-video-games-of-2014?page=0

Somewhat dissapointing year, but Sm4sh wins.

MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014 2014_fullyear_games

Quote :
It appears that gaming's transition year has turned into transition years. The first full calendar year for next-generation consoles PS4 and Xbox One failed to spur the release of more than a handful of great games—and most of those high-scoring releases were merely re-releases of older titles for the new platforms.

For the second straight year, just 11 console games (representing 9 unique titles) scored 90 or higher. Of those, only three were new games rather than ports of previously released titles. Overall, there were just 14 90+ releases in 2014 (see list at the bottom of this page), the lowest such total since 2006.

Even this year's highest-scoring new release—Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. for Wii U—had a significantly lower Metascore than previous Metacritic Game of the Year winners. Three other products actually surpassed Smash Bros.'s 92, but all three (including XB1 and PS4 versions of 2013's best game, Grand Theft Auto V, as well as a PS4 release of 2013's The Last of Us) were remastered ports of older titles, leaving Smash Bros. as the year's highest-scoring new game.

You can also tell which systems got the most Indie support. The PS Vita had a higher average rating than 3DS and more games, but a lot of those games were smaller Indie titles or mobile multiplats.

MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014 ZqTvxKk
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014   MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 12:52 pm

Wow probably the first year where the highest rated game is below 92.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014   MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 2:36 pm

The three highest rated games of the year are all next-gen remakes, Razz. This list is also filled with remakes or ports. Pretty sad that this is the state of the gaming industry now, flooded with next-gen and HD remakes of already previously released games. Not that they are all terrible or unwanted, but some of these game remakes or re-releases are kinda unnecessary imo. Of course, it would be Grand Theft Auto 5 at the top of this list. The highest rated game of 2013 is also the highest rated game of 2014. MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014 725796345

Though, I am glad to see Sm4sh Bros. get the highest score for NEW games of 2014. I'm sure it's a great game to play, and I am glad to see this franchise back with a new iteration in the series. I also totally forgot that Dark Souls II came out this year.

The average metascore for the consoles were around 72-ish or lower. Is that supposed to be a good or bad trend or something? Because an average score 72 is not very good.

What an awful year for gaming. 2015 should be much a better year for gamign. (Uncharted 4, Batman AK, Zelda, Witcher 3, Evolve, Dying Light, No Man's Sky, etc.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Canada

PostSubject: Re: MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014   MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 5:36 pm

Archduke wrote:
The average metascore for the consoles were around 72-ish or lower. Is that supposed to be a good or bad trend or something? Because an average score 72 is not very good.

Pretty normal launch year. High concentration of indies can skew it too, depending on their quality.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014   MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 8:10 pm

lol 1 Xbox One game rated 90+ apparently. Just GTA V... seriously?

Even though its copy of Diablo III is identicle to the PS4 version. Even though it also got Rayman Legends and got even a higher rating yet it was included for PS4 but wasn't included for X1..
Then there's the Last of Us remastered, PS4 can have that.
And Fez.... lol... Fucking Fez! WITH A 90!
I swear critics need to grow a pair.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014   MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 8:17 pm

Fez is on PSN now. MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014 3202469658

Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Canada

PostSubject: Re: MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014   MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 8:38 pm

Smaller scale games should have less weighting. A 5-hour indie might be awesome, but the 69 hour RPG is more important.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014   MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 8:42 pm

Angelus wrote:
Smaller scale games should have less weighting.  A 5-hour indie might be awesome, but the 69 hour RPG is more important.

Exactly. This HAS to happen.

How did FH2 only get 86? Against Fez? A few hour long repetitive 2D indie? Forza Horizon is a BEAUTIFUL open world racing title with over 200 beautifully detailed cars to drive and tune and customize. There's day and night cycles! It's beautiful crisp 1080p! 1000 player car clubs! Instant connection to multiplayer without any lobbies or waiting! Drivatars! Amazingly detailed cockpit views! Drive on or off road! It offers easily over 100 hours of gameplay.

But a shitty indie built in 5 minutes gets a higher rating. That makes sense...

Back to top Go down
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Canada

PostSubject: Re: MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014   MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 8:46 pm

Sawed-Off_Orc wrote:
Angelus wrote:
Smaller scale games should have less weighting.  A 5-hour indie might be awesome, but the 69 hour RPG is more important.

Exactly. This HAS to happen.

How did FH2 only get 86? Against Fez? A few hour long repetitive 2D indie? Forza Horizon is a BEAUTIFUL open world racing title with over 200 beautifully detailed cars to drive and tune and customize. There's day and night cycles! It's beautiful crisp 1080p! 1000 player car clubs! Instant connection to multiplayer without any lobbies or waiting! Drivatars! Amazingly detailed cockpit views! Drive on or off road! It offers easily over 100 hours of gameplay.

But a shitty indie built in 5 minutes gets a higher rating. That makes sense...

I hardly ever pay much attention to reviews. Sometimes I'll breeze through the pros and cons, or check if the number is similar to other titles of that niche, but other than that they're way too subjective. Heavenly Sword got grilled for being too short, but shorter games don't because they're cheaper, or have a different focus. Hopefully eventually they'll let you make custom lists only including genres of your choosing. IDGAF which console has better sports or FPS games, just RPGs and stuff.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014   MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 9:49 pm

The fact that a shit game like Fez is rated higher than Inquisition makes me want to vomit. Got it free on PS Plus. Played for 30 minutes and deleted it.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014 TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014   MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2014 3:45 am

Games like Fez, Call of Duty and Halo should have less weight on the overall aggregate.
Back to top Go down
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Canada

PostSubject: Re: MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014   MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2014 4:42 am

What is FEZ anyway? Pretty sure I have it from PS+
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014 TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014   MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2014 7:11 am

It's made by a tranny game Dev so everyone Hayes it
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014   MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2014 9:47 pm

Archduke wrote:

That doesn't make any sense. Do you know what an average is? Most reviewers use a typical A=90 B=80 C=70 grading scale like in scale so an average score of 72 makes perfect sense. And if the average score was an 85 or something that would mean that games that score an 84 (which we normally consider to be good games) would then be considered a "below average" game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014   MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MetaCritic: Best Video games of 2014
Page 1 of 1