Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"

Go down 
+12
ghost23
Mecha
The_Biotic_God
Based Sonji
Mikenuge
Stigma
someoneimportant
Archduke
Zombie
Jack the Spectre
Bluenose
RamboOnRedBull
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" Empty
PostSubject: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 12:13 pm

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/303367/playstation-4-cheaper-to-make-than-ps3-sony/

We should, as i've, already said, MAKE A GODDAMN NEXT-GEN SECTION! Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" 21888 .....................not Razz
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 12:14 pm

Glad Sony is learning from their mistakes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 1:08 pm

Yeah it seems that all companies are learning. Which means next gen can be only better.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 2:22 pm

499 US dollars
Back to top Go down
Zombie
Non-Valued Member
Non-Valued Member
Zombie

Stature : -2
America
Playing : Trolling, being annoying, laughing at people's misfortune, and sarcasm.

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 3:08 pm

My guess = 449$ starting for 250GB model.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 4:55 pm

450 dollars would be great.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
someoneimportant
Non-Valued Member
Non-Valued Member
someoneimportant

Stature : 0

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 4:58 pm

DukemNukem43 wrote:
450 dollars would be great.

0 Dollars would be even better Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 5:10 pm

A Lucky Star avatar...that reminds me of Lanced Jack. Damn what a troll that was! Razz
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 5:58 pm

I think its will be 598 US dollars.
Back to top Go down
Mikenuge
Guard
Guard
Mikenuge

Stature : 39
UK
Playing : With my small penis

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 8:04 pm

Toxicmaniac wrote:
lol that would be lolcakes
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 8:06 pm

Mikenuge wrote:
Toxicmaniac wrote:
lol that would be lolcakes

599.97 US DOLLA
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 10:49 pm

400 dollars would be the most I would pay at launch.

Realistically, it shouldn't be more than that. The main reason why the PS3 was so damn expensive at launch was because of Blu-ray being a new format. Now that Blu-ray drives are considerably cheaper to manufacture and that 50 GB is still way more than enough for next gen I would imagine that Sony would stick with the same format next gen to lower the costs of manufacturing the PS4.

Oh and IBM might have stopped development of the Cell Processor, but Sony didn't. I don't see why they would just drop a multi-billion dollar investment just as it starts to show it's use. Next gen I could see a faster, updated "Super Cell" with more cores and SPUs being in the PS4.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 11:12 pm

Hopefully, the PS4 supports 100GB Blu-ray disc, which I'm sure it will.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 12:22 am

Mecha wrote:

Um, no because that would probably be more expensive....There is no point of 100 GB Blu-ray discs. =/ Hell, games wouldn't even need more than 20 GB next gen....Way more than enough.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 12:41 am

Alanski wrote:
Mecha wrote:

Um, no because that would probably be more expensive....There is no point of 100 GB Blu-ray discs. =/ Hell, games wouldn't even need more than 20 GB next gen....Way more than enough.

I meant for movies. I don't think it will be that expensive. Sony said that PS3 could support 100GB Blu-ray disc with a simple update. But I bet by the time that happens the PS4 will already be out.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

US

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 12:51 am

You can update blueray players to support higher storage disks, there's no need to make a ridiculously overprice blueray drive. What they do need is to make it so the disk is read faster. Sony and Microsoft both (as in Microsoft should use blue ray next gen).
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ghost23

Stature : 11
Australia

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 2:56 am

Mecha wrote:
Alanski wrote:
Mecha wrote:

I meant for movies. I don't think it will be that expensive. Sony said that PS3 could support 100GB Blu-ray disc with a simple update. But I bet by the time that happens the PS4 will already be out.

BlackStigma wrote:
You can update blueray players to support higher storage disks, there's no need to make a ridiculously overprice blueray drive. What they do need is to make it so the disk is read faster. Sony and Microsoft both (as in Microsoft should use blue ray next gen).

Not true. The 100GB blu ray discs you are talking about uses an updated Blu-Ray format called BDXL. Since there's 3 to 4 layers on each disc, it requires a more powerful lens to read and Sony can't deliver that to the PS3 via a firmware update. But like Alan said, games rarely ever use up the current maximum storage space for blu ray and movies won't be needing to adopt this 100GB format any time soon.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/03/blu-ray-discs-expand-to-128gb-under-new-bdxl-spec/
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

US

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 3:19 am

ghost23 wrote:
Mecha wrote:
Alanski wrote:
Mecha wrote:

BlackStigma wrote:

Not true. The 100GB blu ray discs you are talking about uses an updated Blu-Ray format called BDXL. Since there's 3 to 4 layers on each disc, it requires a more powerful lens to read and Sony can't deliver that to the PS3 via a firmware update. But like Alan said, games rarely ever use up the current maximum storage space for blu ray and movies won't be needing to adopt this 100GB format any time soon.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/03/blu-ray-discs-expand-to-128gb-under-new-bdxl-spec/

Well they updated to 64gigs several months ago.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 9:07 am

They could just use 100GB Blu-ray disc capacity for next-gen. 50GB is kinda starting to get low when you look at games like; MGS4 and God of War 3.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 10:54 am

ghost23 wrote:

That's odd. Sony said all it need it was a firmware update? But whatever. If the PS3 isn't capable of supporting 100GB Blu-ray disc then hopefully the PS4 does.
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 10:57 am

Hopefully it is relatively cheap. I still don't think I am gonna get a console next gen Razz
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 12:23 pm

RamboOnRedbull wrote:
They could just use 100GB Blu-ray disc capacity for next-gen. 50GB is kinda starting to get low when you look at games like; MGS4 and God of War 3.

That's a new one. 50 GB is not enough? MGS4 uses 50 GB because it has 2.5 feature-full movies worth of cutscenes on the disc. 50 GB is double the amount next gen games would need. I don't think alot of people understand the scope of 50 GB.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 1:08 pm

Alanski wrote:
RamboOnRedbull wrote:

That's a new one. 50 GB is not enough? MGS4 uses 50 GB because it has 2.5 feature-full movies worth of cutscenes on the disc. 50 GB is double the amount next gen games would need. I don't think alot of people understand the scope of 50 GB.

I diden't mean it wasen't enough. Just that, a few games are already or have already used up the disc capacity. Which kinda means, that, you shouldn't expect a full-blown sequel to God of War or MGS if Sony are stupid enough not to raise the capacity.
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ghost23

Stature : 11
Australia

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 3:29 am

RamboOnRedbull wrote:
Alanski wrote:
RamboOnRedbull wrote:

I diden't mean it wasen't enough. Just that, a few games are already or have already used up the disc capacity. Which kinda means, that, you shouldn't expect a full-blown sequel to God of War or MGS if Sony are stupid enough not to raise the capacity.

MGS IV is the only game that has used up the entire capacity of the blu ray but honestly there are compression techniques around these days that lead to absolutely no loss in quality. Look at LA Noire, it has 20 hours of motionscan cutscene yet it only takes up 25GB of the blu ray disc. Btw. God of War 3 used 35GB so thats still far from the maximum capacity. Developers don't really need 100GB. Both the The Witcher 2 and Crysis were less than 15GB and yet they look better than any PS3 or XBOX 360 game could with 50GB.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 5:19 am

ghost23 wrote:
RamboOnRedbull wrote:
Alanski wrote:
RamboOnRedbull wrote:

MGS IV is the only game that has used up the entire capacity of the blu ray but honestly there are compression techniques around these days that lead to absolutely no loss in quality. Look at LA Noire, it has 20 hours of motionscan cutscene yet it only takes up 25GB of the blu ray disc. Btw. God of War 3 used 35GB so thats still far from the maximum capacity. Developers don't really need 100GB. Both the The Witcher 2 and Crysis were less than 15GB and yet they look better than any PS3 or XBOX 360 game could with 50GB.

MGS4 AND GOW3 were both cut down to fit onto a single blu-ray disc. It's not 'bout what you think is needed right now, look at last-gen, people thought that Blu-ray was going to be obsolete and DVD would once again win. Now look at the outcome. Right NOW this gen, 25GB and below is enough. But for the next one, it's going to take A LOT more than just that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"   Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was" I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sony: "PS4 Won't be as expensive as ps3 was"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next