Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

Why developers don't like putting in female characters

Go down 
+7
2Sugoi2Die
Stoney
Stigma
RamboOnRedBull
Gutzahn
Chobo
Orc
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

Why developers don't like putting in female characters Empty
PostSubject: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 2:13 pm

QUOTE FROM mattaddison19 on youtube:

"Alright! Time to write a female character for my video game! Hmm, alright. Let's see..
I guess I can't:
- Make her a villain, because that means that I would be portraying women in a negative, misogynous tone.
- Make her overly attractive because I would be perpetuating the stereotype that only attractive women are heroic. This would also promote sexual objectification of women.
- Make her ugly because then I'd be saying that only unattractive women can get things done. I'd also make unattractive women feel bad instead of empowering them.
- Make her the sidekick of a male character, because that would imply that she's subservient to his whims, and that she is not equal.
- Make her the sidekick of a female character, because that would imply that women cannot work together, or that one is more equal to the other.
- Make her the hero, because that would just be a male 'fantasy'. Having her kick ass and win the day would just be enforcing negative stereotypes.
- Make her strong and willful and muscular because that would mean I'm just making a 'male character with breasts.' which women find offensive since it rejects femininity.
- Make her girly, feminine and sensitive, because that would mean that women cannot be strong, independent and powerful.
- Make a female character at all because no matter what I do, feminists will ALWAYS bitch about any aspect they can dig out of the box, because it is their hobby and that's what they do for a living, claiming to be oppressed by the "patriarchy" while women in a few 3rd world countries are truly subjected to discrimination."
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Why developers don't like putting in female characters 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 2:18 pm

Yeah, I'm getting really tired of this shit. Look, if a dev want's to make a fe-male character or a Playble one at that, fine, good for them. But don't force them to just because they have to be politically correct. I really hate the fact that SJW's have invaded games journalism. And Quinngate proves that.
Back to top Go down
Gutzahn
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Gutzahn

Stature : 21

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 2:47 pm

Man I don't know what's getting on my nerves more atm, aggressive SJWs or people complaining about them. Close to no one wants to seriously discuss issues, everyone just gets a kick out of raging on the web for a bit on both sides. It's really drowning out the people who actually have something to say.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 2:50 pm

I wish gaming would've remained a niche thing, where the target demographic is clearly known and the games are popular cult classics, the days when we had our own gaming culture, when Mario, Sonic, Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye 007 weren't massive but still had a large following of people who where simply dedicated to this culture.

Nowadays gaming has become a multi billion dollar industry that is beating films, music and other mainstream forms of media, and with that we've only gotten into a downwards spiral. Demographics who never even remotely cared about games or gamer culture now suddenly hop on the bandwagon and demand us to make the games specifically to suit their needs.

Now we're stuck with greedy money hungry AAA companies, pretentious overglorified indie gamers with PR issues, shitty youtubebait games like flappy bird and goat simulator and game journalists/devs literally insulting us gamers who made them popular in the first place, people from all over the political spectrum trying to use games as their political soapbox. It's simply disgusting.

I don't want to waste my time arguing about cunts like Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn, i don't want to explain to people how Samus wearing heels is not sexist, i don't want to talk about the deep philosophical meanings behind pretentious indie games. I just want to play my goddamn games in rest.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Why developers don't like putting in female characters Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 3:37 pm

Sawed-Off_Orc wrote:
QUOTE FROM mattaddison19 on youtube:

"Alright! Time to write a female character for my video game! Hmm, alright. Let's see..
I guess I can't:
- Make her a villain, because that means that I would be portraying women in a negative, misogynous tone.
- Make her overly attractive because I would be perpetuating the stereotype that only attractive women are heroic. This would also promote sexual objectification of women.
- Make her ugly because then I'd be saying that only unattractive women can get things done. I'd also make unattractive women feel bad instead of empowering them.
- Make her the sidekick of a male character, because that would imply that she's subservient to his whims, and that she is not equal.
- Make her the sidekick of a female character, because that would imply that women cannot work together, or that one is more equal to the other.
- Make her the hero, because that would just be a male 'fantasy'. Having her kick ass and win the day would just be enforcing negative stereotypes.
- Make her strong and willful and muscular because that would mean I'm just making a 'male character with breasts.' which women find offensive since it rejects femininity.
- Make her girly, feminine and sensitive, because that would mean that women cannot be strong, independent and powerful.
- Make a female character at all because no matter what I do, feminists will ALWAYS bitch about any aspect they can dig out of the box, because it is their hobby and that's what they do for a living, claiming to be oppressed by the "patriarchy" while women in a few 3rd world countries are truly subjected to discrimination."

Perfectly put.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 4:12 pm

Do you guys get emails from the white house? Obama is catering to these SJW faggots. I mean he's not actually going to do anything, but still.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 8:01 pm

Not going to touch on more females protags in videogames as I still believe it would have been awesome if one of the four assassin's in AC: Unity were female, but I digress, the reason I'm posting is because of Sarkeesian. She is a charlatan who saw an opportunity and pounced.

If you have time to watch this videos by Thunderf00t, then by all means do!;

Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 8:16 pm

Stoney wrote:
it would have been awesome if one of the four assassin's in AC: Unity were female]

*psst... there's only one assassin* Those 4 assassins are all Arno Dorian but with different customization options.
Which makes it all the more hilarious when SJW's argue about it.

And I hate this Anita bitch. Pretending to like video games when she openly said she doesn't like them beforehand and doesn't like shooting or violence-saying she finds it gross. Yet she made a video showing how it's a boys zone and all those shooters have male protagonists. SURPRISE SURPRISE.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Why developers don't like putting in female characters StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2014 11:01 pm

Sawed-Off_Orc wrote:
Stoney wrote:
it would have been awesome if one of the four assassin's in AC: Unity were female]

*psst... there's only one assassin* Those 4 assassins are all Arno Dorian but with different customization options.
Which makes it all the more hilarious when SJW's argue about it.

And I hate this Anita bitch. Pretending to like video games when she openly said she doesn't like them beforehand and doesn't like shooting or violence-saying she finds it gross. Yet she made a video showing how it's a boys zone and all those shooters have male protagonists. SURPRISE SURPRISE.

Anita doesn't even write her own scripts in her tropes vs women videos.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 11:47 am

There can only ever be true equality when Sonic and Mario become Sonica and Mariobelle.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 10:43 am

Oi Stoney I'm having a discussion in the comment section of Thunderfoot's video. This is what one Anita clone retard said

Retard in the comment section wrote:
So about the strippers...why do they exist in the game? What purpose do they serve? That is Anita's point...they do nothing to advance the story, they are just there to titillate and that they're an obstacle is only a weak justification. To reinforce that they are an object, the player is free do to whatever they'd like with them (the penalty against a civilian kill is what? Thunderf00t claimed you lose points? Ok, that's the cost of a civilian life). The fact that 99.9% of your adversaries are men is again sexist against women, as only men can be threatening to your character's safety. What happens if the strippers see you, scream for help? Alert the strong men bodyguards to save you? I have no idea and I don't really care, because the point still stands. Unless they whip out guns and kill your invading ass.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 7:27 pm

Sawed-Off_Orc wrote:
Oi Stoney I'm having a discussion in the comment section of Thunderfoot's video. This is what one Anita clone retard said

Retard in the comment section wrote:
So about the strippers...why do they exist in the game? What purpose do they serve? That is Anita's point...they do nothing to advance the story, they are just there to titillate and that they're an obstacle is only a weak justification. To reinforce that they are an object, the player is free do to whatever they'd like with them (the penalty against a civilian kill is what? Thunderf00t claimed you lose points? Ok, that's the cost of a civilian life). The fact that 99.9% of your adversaries are men is again sexist against women, as only men can be threatening to your character's safety. What happens if the strippers see you, scream for help? Alert the strong men bodyguards to save you? I have no idea and I don't really care, because the point still stands. Unless they whip out guns and kill your invading ass.

Sounds like someone didn't played the game at all lol.

Taking out civilians in Hitman is merely one option which can make the mission even more difficult and lose points for. Ultimately you can't tell someone how to play a game that THEY PAID FOR.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 6:12 am

He/She says it's sexist that there are women you can kill in the game
Then He/She says it's sexist because there's 99% men, so women are excluded
Then they say that the women are helpless
I told /herhim there's nuns with guns in the game who put up a good fight
Then they were like "OH MY GOD NUNS WITH GUNS? SO WOMEN ARE EITHER STRIPPERS OR NUNS?!"

Jeezus-just goes to show, yeah s/he definitely didn't play the game
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Why developers don't like putting in female characters Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 2:38 pm

Liberals incoming!
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2014 6:16 pm

opening up old wounds
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 9:45 pm

Women don't spend as much money as men do in this hobby.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 7:12 am

2Sugoi2Die wrote:
Women don't spend as much money as men do in this hobby.

Not even close. Nor do they spend nearly as much time. Seriously one girl I know tries way too hard to show she's a gurl gamer (actually removed me off facebook when I told her a FAKE spoiler for a game she was playing lol- probably to show how "seriously" she takes it).
She's managed to beat my gamerscore on Xbox and she was flaunting her gamerscore on facebook with so much pride. Honestly, if I wasn't playing 400 different PSP games, tons of PC and still some PS2 & Gamecube and tons of Vita during the 360 generation, I would have tripled her score by now.
Also every time I go on Live I swear I just see her on netflix.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Why developers don't like putting in female characters R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 7:10 pm

Why developers don't like putting in female characters Whoa

Why developers don't like putting in female characters Tumblr_mvnus8WLy41qeg6zlo4_250
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 7:00 am

Why developers don't like putting in female characters PtGe4C5
Back to top Go down
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Why developers don't like putting in female characters ZDL7A4I
Stature : 342
Canada
Playing : Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy VII
Watching : Darksydephil

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 10:05 pm

GirlGamers love the direction SquEnix has been taking taking with Mevius and Duscae. They're getting plenty of gay-looking dudes to sluurp over.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 12:50 pm

Girls pretend to want betas
but really they want alphas
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

Why developers don't like putting in female characters TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 3:32 pm

Seriously one arab I know tries way too hard to show he's a guy gamer (actually removed me off PSN when I told him a FAKE spoiler for a game he was playing lol- probably to show how "seriously" he takes it).

That arab was Teckno, and that's how silly you sound Orc. Fake guy gamers are just as bad as fake girl gamers and more numerous and prevalent
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 4:55 pm

Must be an imaginary Arab named Teckno because I didn't remove you. (Come to think of it, I probably should)

And that spoiler was real.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

Why developers don't like putting in female characters TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 4:56 pm

It was a guess and you did, you later re-added after i begged you for years
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2015 5:04 pm

Okay honey boo boo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why developers don't like putting in female characters   Why developers don't like putting in female characters I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why developers don't like putting in female characters
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next