Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"

Go down 
+12
BioDemon
The_Biotic_God
Stoney
Gutzahn
2Sugoi2Die
Based Sonji
Bluenose
Orc
Archduke
Orion
yonny616
RamboOnRedBull
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" Empty
PostSubject: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 12:46 pm

http://www.nerdacy.com/2014/06/11/the-order-1886-hands-on-e3-2014-it-is-the-most-linear-game-ive-ever-played/

Quote :
Ready At Dawn’s The Order 1886 is a graphically amazing game—let’s not disagree on that, because whatever anti-aliasing they’re using, is working—but that is where the excitement stops.

At E3 2014 I was given a 10-minute “gameplay” demo, and I’m saying gameplay in quotation marks because out of the 10 minutes I was playing I maybe had approximately 3 minutes of actual playtime. That is playtime in which I was simply taking out enemies, not really using my own brain. Most of the time I am essentially guided like a tutorial to go in a particular direction, even when I am in a closed off room! Seriously.

At one point in the demo I was in a room listening to the other people in my order talk. I could not interact with anything in the room or anyone I am with. Then, suddenly, I am allowed to interact with a piece of parchment. It shows me the direction I need to take to reach my destination, then suddenly (again) I am allowed to interact with a metal object that I wasn’t able to interact with just 30 seconds ago. I had to explode the metal object, which I knew before I was told to do so. My point is—this is by far the most linear game I have ever played. There is hardly any form of freedom in the game; but from what I was told, that is the point.

The story, which is set in 19th century London is quite interesting in itself, and it would be very fun to play if I was actually given the chance to play it. Based off the things I was shown and played, this game is simply an interactive movie, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. The developers want to tell a story their way, so we are playing the game their way. As much as the game looks amazing—which in all honesty is breathtaking—my gripe is with the core of the game itself.

Other than that, combat was a bit cool. Combo-ing the missile launcher-type weapon with the flammable pellets makes for one nasty explosion. I personally liked the pistol. It was the most accurate and took down the enemies with two to three shots on average. I unfortunately did not get to finish the demo since my hero got stuck on a staircase. The game’s in development so there were bound to be some issues like that.

Be sure to check out our interview with Ready At Dawn later this week.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 12:59 pm

Gamers bitch about the stupidest shit sometimes. Why can't it be linear? Sorry everything can't be GTA or Mass Effect. Next thing we know, these dumbasses will be bitching about Gran Turismo being too linear because you can't drive your car around the city. This is the game the developers wanted to give you. DEAL THE FUCK WITH IT!/rant
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 3:40 pm

yonny616 wrote:
Gamers bitch about the stupidest shit sometimes. Why can't it be linear? Sorry everything can't be GTA or Mass Effect. Next thing we know, these dumbasses will be bitching about Gran Turismo being too linear because you can't drive your car around the city. This is the game the developers wanted to give you. DEAL THE FUCK WITH IT!/rant

Are you a fucking retard? Did you even fuckiby read what he said? There's a point where a game becomes so linear it stops being a game.

Honestly you Sony fanboys are the fucking worst
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 4:08 pm

Honestly, who gives a shit if it's super linear or not? As long as the gameplay and story are good, then that is all that matters. Uncharted is super linear, yet it's considered to be one of the greatest video-game franchises ever created.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 4:19 pm

@Orion Oh shut up. This is the game the developers wanted to give us. Whether the game is good or bad doesn't balance on its "linear or non-linear" fate.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 4:27 pm

lmao there's being linear for cinematic reasons, then there's being linear where you can just shoot a little bit then sit through tons of cutscenes and can't interact with anything, until it lets you and then you can interact with it even though you wanted to interact with it before hand.

A better equivalent would not be "I want to drive off the track" in a racing game but rather the car accelerates by itself and you can only drive left and right.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 4:43 pm

I wouldn't put too much faith in a 10 minute gameplay review.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 4:55 pm

Teckno wrote:
I wouldn't put too much faith in a 10 minute gameplay review.

Considering the devs value story and a cinematic experience over "just gameplay" I wouldn't put too much faith in them
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 4:59 pm

Can all of you bashing The Order: 1886 just shut-the-fuck-up and wait until the game actually comes out to see if it's good or not? Jesus, this speculation blabber is just sad. Sad
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 5:01 pm

I'm judging from the "gameplay" we saw, it can hardly be called a game and will be guaranteed shit but the retarded Sony cock suckers like Mecha and Yonny will gobble it up just because it's exclusive
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 6:28 pm

Orions right.

This game looks like shit so far and that is going to stay my opinion until we see better gameplay or until it comes out.

stop being sonyshills.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 10:32 am

Orion wrote:
I'm judging from the "gameplay" we saw, it can hardly be called a game and will be guaranteed shit but the retarded Sony cock suckers like Mecha and Yonny will gobble it up just because it's exclusive

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 5:17 pm

Shigdig wrote:
Orions right.

This game looks like shit so far and that is going to stay my opinion until we see better gameplay or until it comes out.

stop being sonyshills.

Yeah I mean as Sony are really touting it as a big exclusive I'm sure it will turn out great but from what I've seen so far it does look underwhelming.

I do hope it does turn out good though. It's nice to see fresh IP's and not the same old shit.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 8:21 pm

I'm kind of shocked at how fast some of you are writing this game off when all that has been shown is a 10 minute demo. Ready At Dawn, as a studio, has a great track record and has always released good to great titles. He says in the article that the combat (main focus of the gameplay) is good and fun to play. He said it's linear because the section he played was limited in combat.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 10:21 am

Quote :
Game director (Dana Jan): I think story and visuals are very high. Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it. We love games, but we also love telling stories, so I think story is always going to be at the top because it's what we start with. It's at the top of the pyramid and everything else supports that. I think it'd be more challenging to make a game for the gameplay's sake, then try to make a story that fits in there.

Confirm shit.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

LittleBigP

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 10:41 am

2Sugoi2Die wrote:
Quote :
Game director (Dana Jan): I think story and visuals are very high. Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it. We love games, but we also love telling stories, so I think story is always going to be at the top because it's what we start with. It's at the top of the pyramid and everything else supports that. I think it'd be more challenging to make a game for the gameplay's sake, then try to make a story that fits in there.

Confirm shit.

mfw every story driven game starts like this. You make gameplay to fit your story, not the other way around. Just ask Naughty Dog.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 11:00 am

Quote :
When it's released next year, The Order: 1886 will run at 30 frames per second on the PlayStation 4--and that's by design, as its developers are seeking to deliver a "filmic look" 

Welp.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 11:32 am

Based Sonji wrote:
2Sugoi2Die wrote:
Quote :

Confirm shit.

mfw every story driven game starts like this. You make gameplay to fit your story, not the other way around. Just ask Naughty Dog.

Maybe that's why TLOU was shit
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

LittleBigP

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 11:49 am

Orion wrote:
Based Sonji wrote:
2Sugoi2Die wrote:
Quote :

Confirm shit.

Maybe that's why TLOU was shit

That's one opinion.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 12:07 pm

They are obviously trying to do something un-orthodox by making this a filmyish like game. We'll just have to wait and see if it is good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Gutzahn
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Gutzahn

Stature : 21

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 3:12 pm

Well either they are insane, or they want to make excuses for not getting high performance.

I am not writing this game off yet, but I am dissappointed so far, by the last trailer, and above all by the ridiculous statements of the developer.
hurr durr we use a low resolution, less fluid visuals and less responsive gameplay because that makes the game better hurr durr
bullshit
They want to treat me like I am some kind of idiot.

I have rarely complaint about linearity, it's a legit way of doing things and more of a design decision, so as long as they don't make the corridors too tight to breath I am fine. Many of my favorite games are linear with small explorable areas inbetween.

Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 6:16 pm

Everything I've seen bar the werewolf footage from E3 leads me to believe this game will flop. The TPS segments have been mind numbingly boring. I have liitle hope this will be any good.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 11:56 pm

I guess we're all on the "Wait-and-See" bandwagon for this game, then.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 3:04 am

Archduke wrote:
I guess we're all on the "Wait-and-See how much this game flops" bandwagon for this game, then.

Ku~
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2014 5:32 am

Jesus Christ we have some pyro2000X-tier fanboys on here
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"   The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played" I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Order: 1886 is "The Most Linear Game I've ever Played"
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next