Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

JRPGs? Why not

Go down 
+4
Orc
2Sugoi2Die
Orion
thebigmike1983
8 posters
AuthorMessage
thebigmike1983
Unique Grunt
Unique Grunt
thebigmike1983

Stature : 20
Chicago, I

JRPGs?  Why not Empty
PostSubject: JRPGs? Why not   JRPGs?  Why not I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 11:03 pm

This isn't exactly reviews, but I wrote this for a buddy and figure this was the best spot for it here.

Welcome to Big Mike's Weaboo JRPG Corner, because I am terrible. JRPGs are trope-filled to the gills, but as long as the gameplay is fun I'm all over them. Especially tactics games. So lately on each system I've been playing:
PC:
Agarest: Generations of War - I mostly bought this because it's pretty much the first strategy jrpg I've seen on Steam. Am trying it out finally tonight!
Recettear - Combine economy/shop management with monster slaying and you have Capitalism, Ho!
3DS:
Fire Emblem: Awakening - It's just awesome. Probably not SUPER hard if you're a tactics fanatic, but you can adjust difficulty/death settings and make it as easy or hard as you'd like.
Rune Factory 4 - I mostly picked this up because I haven't played a Harvest Moon/Animal Crossing game is forever. This one is nice because you don't have to bother with farming and can go monster slaying instead and start a store and such. Kind of like Recettear in that aspect.
Tales of the Abyss - I'm a big fan of the combat system, it's a bit complicated and can be tough but it's worth it. The plot is pretty damn good but complicated, and characters range from good to want to punch.
Shin Megami Tensei 4 - HARD AS HELL, but hell if I don't like a challenge. You have to capture/create monsters to help you in combat.
PS3:
Ni No Kuni - Do you like your Pokémon with a vomitous amount of saccharine? HAVE AT YOU. It's a Studio Ghibli production, and if you don't know what that means go watch some Miyazaki animated movies. Really sharp graphics, decent combat system using "pets" and kind of a kiddie plot. These things happen.
Tales of Graces f - Fantastic combat, decent character development once you progress far enough, but super weak plot. Blah blah kids saving the world. The combat is top notch, and it's local co-op if you want!
Tales of Xillia - Kind of the opposite of Graces. The plot/characters are wayyyy better, but the combat and exploding/side quests are weaker.
Valkyria Chronicles - Very unique take on a strategy rpg. You control characters using action points and manually aim/fire them. It's set in a "modern" war, so it's all firearms, and even a tank! Really good.
Disgaea D2 - Just nabbed this. Disgaea was my first big PS2 tactics rpg back in college, so this was a definite buy. Also check out D3/4 on PS3, and I think D1/2 are available on PSN.

Anyways, this is good enough for now! There are definitely more out there that I have, but these are some of the better ones I've put the most time into. Maybe I'll do a fighting game one sometime.

tl;dr LOL JAPAN
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

JRPGs?  Why not TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

JRPGs?  Why not Empty
PostSubject: Re: JRPGs? Why not   JRPGs?  Why not I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 5:06 am

Chrono Trigger, FFIV, FFVI, Earthbound and Super Mario RPG.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

JRPGs?  Why not StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

JRPGs?  Why not Empty
PostSubject: Re: JRPGs? Why not   JRPGs?  Why not I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Unfortunately Agarest: Generations of War is bland and mediocre at best. Most of the features sound pretty good but are poorly implemented in and same goes for the other Agarest games. It isn't as bad as people make it out to be but don't expect it to be like Fire Emblem, FF:Tactics or Disgaea.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

JRPGs?  Why not Empty
PostSubject: Re: JRPGs? Why not   JRPGs?  Why not I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 6:51 pm

cool thread idea.

I don't play a lot of JRPG's myself but the ones that stood out for me were:

Breath of Fire II
Breath of Fire III
Breath of Fire IV
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

JRPGs?  Why not StDQek0

JRPGs?  Why not Empty
PostSubject: Re: JRPGs? Why not   JRPGs?  Why not I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 7:24 pm

Might as well throw in a suggestion

PS3
White Knight Chronicles II - Plays a lot like Final Fantasy XII. massive world to explore. You can also make your own character for the single player but 9 out of 10 times he/she will just stand around doing nothing while the main characters do all the talking. There are a lot of variety in skills which you can make your own chain combos. Main characters can transform into giant knights which can help turn the tide of battle and the character you created can also turn into a more customizable knight. Also the game has an MMO style online where you can take the character you created and party up other players. Most interesting part is that you can make your own town for you and other online players to visit to get resources. White Knight Chronicles II also comes with the first game which you'll pretty much need to play in order to understand what the hell is going on.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

JRPGs?  Why not Empty
PostSubject: Re: JRPGs? Why not   JRPGs?  Why not I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 12:29 pm

Is the PSP one any good? I recall playing for like 2 minutes. Didn't really give it a chance.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

JRPGs?  Why not TM4C7lj
UK

JRPGs?  Why not Empty
PostSubject: Re: JRPGs? Why not   JRPGs?  Why not I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 12:40 pm

Best JRPG on PSP is Persona 3 Portable, so many hours i wasted ont aht.
Back to top Go down
NoelX2
Final Boss
Final Boss
NoelX2

Stature : 91
Playing : SF3

JRPGs?  Why not Empty
PostSubject: Re: JRPGs? Why not   JRPGs?  Why not I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 5:57 pm

Haven't finished Lost Odyssey; haven't even played it in years.

Tales of Vesperia is the only JRPG I've finished, and one of the best 360 games.

Record of Agarest War is mediocre.

I haven't finished Blue Dragon yet.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XNoel2?feature=mhum
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

JRPGs?  Why not StDQek0

JRPGs?  Why not Empty
PostSubject: Re: JRPGs? Why not   JRPGs?  Why not I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 7:16 pm

Sawed-Off_Orc wrote:
Is the PSP one any good? I recall playing for like 2 minutes. Didn't really give it a chance.
I don't know. Been meaning to give it a shot but I keep forgetting about it.
Back to top Go down
Fenrir
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Fenrir

JRPGs?  Why not E0Pbf6f
Stature : 14
The Dreadf
Playing : Pin the dick on the Reek

JRPGs?  Why not Empty
PostSubject: Re: JRPGs? Why not   JRPGs?  Why not I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 6:29 am

In Yahtzee we trust. When the almighty Ben Yahtzee Croshaw says Jrpgs are bad they are.

Own opinions? why I never.

Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

JRPGs?  Why not TM4C7lj
UK

JRPGs?  Why not Empty
PostSubject: Re: JRPGs? Why not   JRPGs?  Why not I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 12:01 pm

Yahtzee is a fucking faggot
Back to top Go down
Fenrir
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Fenrir

JRPGs?  Why not E0Pbf6f
The Dreadf

JRPGs?  Why not Empty
PostSubject: Re: JRPGs? Why not   JRPGs?  Why not I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 12:15 pm

Orion wrote:
Mods?
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

JRPGs?  Why not TM4C7lj
UK

JRPGs?  Why not Empty
PostSubject: Re: JRPGs? Why not   JRPGs?  Why not I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 12:33 pm

Fenrir wrote:
Orion wrote:
Mods?
What?
Back to top Go down
Fenrir
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Fenrir

JRPGs?  Why not E0Pbf6f
The Dreadf

JRPGs?  Why not Empty
PostSubject: Re: JRPGs? Why not   JRPGs?  Why not I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 1:00 pm

Orion wrote:
Fenrir wrote:
Orion wrote:
Mods?
What?
Your reply deserves judgement from the all mighty mods.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

JRPGs?  Why not XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

JRPGs?  Why not Empty
PostSubject: Re: JRPGs? Why not   JRPGs?  Why not I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 1:22 pm

We don't judge people here.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

JRPGs?  Why not TM4C7lj
UK

JRPGs?  Why not Empty
PostSubject: Re: JRPGs? Why not   JRPGs?  Why not I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 2:54 pm

Oh YIKES! That mean old Orion said fag!!! Poor ol' Yatzhee's feelings might be hurt!!!
Back to top Go down
Fenrir
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Fenrir

JRPGs?  Why not E0Pbf6f
The Dreadf

JRPGs?  Why not Empty
PostSubject: Re: JRPGs? Why not   JRPGs?  Why not I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 3:10 pm

Orion wrote:
Oh YIKES! That mean old Orion said fag!!! Poor ol' Yatzhee's feelings might be hurt!!!
Yahtzee is by far the best game critic there is.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

JRPGs?  Why not TM4C7lj
UK

JRPGs?  Why not Empty
PostSubject: Re: JRPGs? Why not   JRPGs?  Why not I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 3:20 pm

Fenrir wrote:
Orion wrote:
Ok, fair enough. You like him. I think he has shit taste and fucking sucks. People have different opinions.
Back to top Go down
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

JRPGs?  Why not ZDL7A4I
Stature : 342
Canada
Playing : Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy VII
Watching : Darksydephil

JRPGs?  Why not Empty
PostSubject: Re: JRPGs? Why not   JRPGs?  Why not I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 5:17 pm

Fenrir wrote:
Orion wrote:

He's good in the sense that he doesn't normally take bribes.

He's bad in the sense that he doesn't like Niche games, and that he knows his audience likes it better when he hates on a game.
Back to top Go down
Fenrir
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Fenrir

JRPGs?  Why not E0Pbf6f
The Dreadf

JRPGs?  Why not Empty
PostSubject: Re: JRPGs? Why not   JRPGs?  Why not I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 5:21 pm

Angelus the Revenant wrote:
Fenrir wrote:
Orion wrote:

He's bad in the sense that he doesn't like Niche games, and that he knows his audience likes it better when he hates on a game.
Not me, I agree with him on everything pretty much the any exception i can think of The Witcher.
Back to top Go down
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

JRPGs?  Why not ZDL7A4I
Stature : 342
Canada
Playing : Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy VII
Watching : Darksydephil

JRPGs?  Why not Empty
PostSubject: Re: JRPGs? Why not   JRPGs?  Why not I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 5:26 pm

Fenrir wrote:
Fenrir wrote:
Orion wrote:

Not me, I agree with him on everything pretty much the any exception i can think of The Witcher.

Having opinions similar to yours doesn't make someone the best critic.
Back to top Go down
Fenrir
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Fenrir

JRPGs?  Why not E0Pbf6f
The Dreadf

JRPGs?  Why not Empty
PostSubject: Re: JRPGs? Why not   JRPGs?  Why not I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 5:38 pm

Fenrir wrote:
Fenrir wrote:
Orion wrote:

Having opinions similar to yours doesn't make someone the best critic.
It was meant as a plus to what you said, he is unbiased and he rarely lets his nostalgia go in the way for saying a game sucks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

JRPGs?  Why not Empty
PostSubject: Re: JRPGs? Why not   JRPGs?  Why not I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

JRPGs? Why not
Page 1 of 1