Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How could comic books be improved?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

How could comic books be improved? Empty
PostSubject: How could comic books be improved?   How could comic books be improved? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 5:03 pm

1. As I mentioned in a previous thread, some comic books come with a code to get a digital copy on your smartphone. This is useful if you, say, are on your way to work and dont want to carry your comic around with you. Then you can simply read it on your phone. This should definitely be more commonplace, especially in today's society in which we rely so heavily on technology.
How could comic books be improved? CSnbifu

2. Some comic companies, for example Valiant, provide a trading card in some issues. This is a nice little bonus...perhaps a gimmick somewhat, but it gives you that small feeling of excitement, not knowing what your card may be. Kind of like when you get a kinder egg :)
I'm not saying every comic and every issue should have this, but there should be like one or two available for every run/series.
How could comic books be improved? 1993ve10

3. I was pleasantly surprised to notice that in the back of my Marvel: Civil War comic there was a checklist, basically telling you which other comics are available, that focus on the same events or narrative theme. I think full dates on the front cover would also be nice but hey checklists are nice enough. If only more comics had this!
How could comic books be improved? 0EdtueL

4. You know that feeling, when you turn the page to reveal a massive, beautifully drawn double-paged piece of artwork staring back at you? It's one of the best feelings in the world for comic book readers. And quite a few comic artists do this already. However, I would not complain if it was done by more. I would never rip pages out of my comic to pin em up to my wall, but honestly I can spend a while just gazing in wonder when you get pages like that.
How could comic books be improved? EafHzLj
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

How could comic books be improved? TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: How could comic books be improved?   How could comic books be improved? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 6:21 pm

All incredibly valid and good points.

Lower prices, the pricing for single issues, especially by MARVEL and DC are insane, for their best selling comics(e.g. In the top 100) they charge them $4, regardless of whether they are 20 or 30 pages. It's a fucking ripoff.

They need more all ages books, the comic book industry needs to adapt or die. They need to get more customers as comic sales are absolutely shit compared to before, more all ages books would really help. I mean just because it's all ages doesnt mean adults or older audiences couldn't read it, Shazam Monster Society of Evil and Bone are all ages, but holy fuck they are some of the best comics I've ever read. I really want to get my younger cousins into comics, but I can't find any all ages books they'd like.

Another point would be how DC and Marvel treat their creators and people who write there comics, I guess this doesnt really apply to marvel that much recently, but surely does DC. DC has been interfering with almost every comic with editorial bullshit and forced storylines and other shit and annoying writers and ruining their stories. DC have also been constantly changing artists and writers on ongoing series making the story seem scattered, and quite frankly, incredibly shitty.

Another thing is, don't just fucking sell them in comic shops. Get dem more exposure, get them out on newsstands, convenience stores and supermarkets, try and get them on toys r us. I can't tell u how many times of got into a series then find out its been cancelled because dem faggots didn't buy it.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: How could comic books be improved?   How could comic books be improved? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 6:41 pm

I agree with the prices of course. And the high prices probably isn't doing them any favours either! While they may make more money per individual consumer, they are getting less consumers overall!

As for the ages bit, I kind of get you. I mean Marvel comics can have somewhat complex narratives or be dialogue-heavy at times which can put kids off, but otherwise I think Marvel can appeal to younger audiences.
How young are your cousins anyway? Maybe I can come up with some suggestions. For example I find Atomic Robo to be a very entertaining comic with very funny moments. There are several comics on Comixology app available for free.

About your last point, I'm actually seeing comic books more prominent in England than ever before. In ASDA they sell 2000AD comics bi-weekly I believe (if not weekly). In newsstands and places like that you sometimes get double issue reprints (basically 2 old issues in 1), eg: Spider-Man, Iron Man, Ghost Rider, Hulks, etc). I believe only Marvel do this however. Check WHSmith though, a few branches sell these, along with graphic novels/trades.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

PostSubject: Re: How could comic books be improved?   How could comic books be improved? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 7:06 pm

I've never seen comics outside of comic.book shops here, actually I remember seeing a marvel magazine, do they collect issues?

Anyways ones 9 the other is 11, they only like Marvel superheroes as well
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: How could comic books be improved?   How could comic books be improved? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 8:23 pm

What do you mean by do they collect issues? Marvel Magazines? I wanna make sure we're talking about the same thing here. I mean comic book sized comic books, in magazine section, with 2 previously released comics in 1.

Ahhh man. Spider-Man is the most interesting (to kids) one of the most iconic marvel heroes I guess. Tellos is a really great lighthearted but enjoyable comic for younger people. Alright, it's not a marvel superhero but seriously.
How could comic books be improved? Tellos10
Plus sonic comic books, and what I already said, Atomic Robo.
How could comic books be improved? Atomicrobo6cover
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

PostSubject: Re: How could comic books be improved?   How could comic books be improved? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 4:55 am

Hmmm thx I'll get them the Marvel Universe Ultimate Spiderman comic based on the shitty tv show
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How could comic books be improved?   How could comic books be improved? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How could comic books be improved?
Page 1 of 1