Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why I like Manga over comics

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Why I like Manga over comics StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

Why I like Manga over comics Empty
PostSubject: Why I like Manga over comics   Why I like Manga over comics I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 6:28 am

Note 1: This is my opinion and mine alone.
Note 2: Feel free to discuss and maybe even a debate (As long it reminds on topic and no one’s feelings get hurt).
Note 3: My spelling sucks due to one to many beers. Brb getting another one.

Manga always looks and feels more cinematic compared to comics. Each panel represents a cinematic camera angle; action paired with corresponding dialogue and is shown visually frame by frame. Thanks to this style, Manga can easily be turned into anime. All you need to do is colour it, get some voice actors and add movements to get from one panel to another.

I find manga to have more variety of genres and different art directions. When I look at comics it’s like "Oh shit another masked guy". The biggest problem I found with comics that most of it are long running series that the creators or who is running the series simply refuses to let god and try something new and different. Look at Spider-man for example, 50 years and it finally ends? Oh wait there’s a new Spider-man comic with a different title in front. Yeah you get something like good like the Walking Dead comes once in a while but other than that.... more men and women in costumes.

I would complain that comics feel more out of sync in terms of visual actions and dialogue but it is a style that works and people do enjoy it. Recently I have notice that newer comics try to be more cinematic but it doesn't seem like they figured it out yet.

This is why I am drawn into that cinematic feel that manga were comics luck

Manga Examples:
Why I like Manga over comics Tnegima_299_13Why I like Manga over comics Tnegima_299_14Why I like Manga over comics Tnegima_299_15

Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

Why I like Manga over comics TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: Why I like Manga over comics   Why I like Manga over comics I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 8:42 am

I don't think you've ever read a comic or know much about them
I don't have the time right now so I'll give you the short version and in about 3 weeks I'll post the proper one as im swamped with shit to do.
There are many different genres of comics, superheroes are just one example

Y The Last Man
Preacher
Chew
Sandman
Sin City
Lost Boys
Saga
Fables
Saucer Country
New Deadwardians
American Vampire
Underwater Welder

I don't respect you're opinion as you're judging comics based on the miniscule of knowledge that you have on it. Also those books were all off the top of my head, and I've only been reading comics for about just over a year on a limited budget so there are plenty more.

Also you say manga is more cinematic than comics? Im not sure you understand, comics have different artists and as do different manga.
Some artists are shit, some aren't.
Here's a recent example from the latest Flash issue and the panels and art are done perfectly
Why I like Manga over comics Fls162-3jpg-9f0b1e
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Why I like Manga over comics R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Why I like Manga over comics   Why I like Manga over comics I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 8:50 am

@Anime_Fag

Manga and comics are the same thing.

Also it's obvious that you don't read enough comics. Comics not cinematic enough huh?

Why I like Manga over comics Dc_new10
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

PostSubject: Re: Why I like Manga over comics   Why I like Manga over comics I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 8:59 am

There's a pretty huge cultural difference Mechababewhoiwillhavesexwithoneday
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Why I like Manga over comics   Why I like Manga over comics I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 9:05 am

Still, manga is just Japanese for comics. So saying you read manga, but you don't read comics is a bit hypocritical. Despite their differences.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

PostSubject: Re: Why I like Manga over comics   Why I like Manga over comics I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 9:07 am

I don't read any superhero comics except Daredevil, Ultimate Spider-Man
, All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men. Going to drop USM if Miles quits, unless Eddie Brock takes his place.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Why I like Manga over comics   Why I like Manga over comics I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 9:15 am

Same. I'm mostly focused on Deadpool and Justice League.

I can't get into the current Spider-Man comics for obvious reasons.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Why I like Manga over comics   Why I like Manga over comics I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 9:44 am

at least manga doesn't make 6 year olds jump out of windows.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Why I like Manga over comics   Why I like Manga over comics I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 9:49 am

At least I don't get sexually confused with comics.

Why I like Manga over comics Ouran-10
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Why I like Manga over comics PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: Why I like Manga over comics   Why I like Manga over comics I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 1:53 pm

Manga is for people who are backwards. Razz
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

PostSubject: Re: Why I like Manga over comics   Why I like Manga over comics I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 4:05 pm

On surface they may look the same but the go in deep and you'll find style between western comics and Japanese manga to be two completely different things.

Manga uses a style of cinematic camera angles. Setting up dramatic angles and syncing them with the dialogue. Like I said before. Each frame has a snapshot and an action, each line and piece of dialogue is pair with the corresponding action and it is shown visually frame by frame.

Comics are more like graphic novels. The story is there and visuals are there but the dialogue and visual actions are not necessarily in sync.

If comics were cinematic just like manga then why there haven't been any cartoons which is just like the comics itself? The style portrayed in comics doesn’t allow it. Cartoons based on Western comic usually aren't direct adaptations of the comic series and are more often than not original series based on the characters and the general story outline of the comics.

Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Why I like Manga over comics   Why I like Manga over comics I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 4:31 pm

Your logic is flawed.

300, Sin City, Watchmen, HELLO! I don't see ANY manga adaptation that comes close to those films. But if you're only counting animation, then you're obviously forgetting about the DC animated films. Which are pretty faithful to the graphic novels, page by page.

The only reason why cartoon shows are not page by page accurate is because the comics their based on have no definitive version. While manga usually have one narrative story, which is much easier to adapt. But that doesn't make manga more cinematic though. You obviously don't read enough comic books at all.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

PostSubject: Re: Why I like Manga over comics   Why I like Manga over comics I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 5:03 pm

The same could be said about comic’s adaptations. Hell comparing the 2 and you'll find different results.

Having no definitive version doesn't change the fact that comics will always feel out of sync in terms of what I said before. Clearly you don't understand what I mean by cinematic. Manga captures the feel of the scene you are reading. Actions can either movement, body language and facial expressions and this is reinforce by its cinema style camera angles and it is done visually frame by frame like what you would see in a movie.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Why I like Manga over comics   Why I like Manga over comics I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 5:14 pm

And comic books don't? Why I like Manga over comics 1443829230

Comic books films like 300, Sin City, Watchmen may have their slight differences, but so do manga adaptations as well.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

PostSubject: Re: Why I like Manga over comics   Why I like Manga over comics I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 6:10 pm

Comics do have that those traits but they are never portrayed in the same way manga does. It is not a bad thing but I perfer the manga why.

I guess all changes are done with the purposes of entertainment in mind. I don't mind changes as long it reminds true to the source material it is purpose to be based on. Then again I don't mind if it was totally its own thing as long it is enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why I like Manga over comics   Why I like Manga over comics I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why I like Manga over comics
Page 1 of 1