Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Valve releasing a console next year

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Valve releasing a console next year Empty
PostSubject: Valve releasing a console next year   Valve releasing a console next year I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 3:03 am

Valve releasing a console next year Km24Wf7qdkmy4ZOzpvYVEw2

Quote :
Valve boss Gabe Newell has announced this week that the company will be launching a console built for the living room next year.
Newell says the company's main focus now is how to make PCs work better in the living room on the big screen. The first step was releasing their "Big Picture" UI earlier this year.

PC packages that are designed to run on a TV will be launched next year, by Valve and by other manufacturers, with each being able to run Steam flawlessly out of the gate.

Newell says the PCs will compete with the Xbox 8 and the PS4.

"I think in general that most customers and most developers are gonna find that [the PC is] a better environment for them," Newell noted to Kotaku. "Cause they won't have to split the world into thinking about 'why are my friends in the living room, why are my video sources in the living room different from everyone else?' So in a sense we hopefully are gonna unify those environments. We'll do it but we also think other people will as well."

The Valve head did note that their console would not be as open as the average computer: "Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment. If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution, that's what some people are really gonna want for their living room. The nice thing about a PC is a lot of different people can try out different solutions, and customers can find the ones that work best for them."

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2012/12/09/valve_will_release_pc_console_next_year
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Valve releasing a console next year XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Valve releasing a console next year   Valve releasing a console next year I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 7:02 am

I'm not sure everyone truly understands the difference between a regular PC and a gaming PC. I dunno if this console will do well, 'cuz people will thinks it's wholly unnecessary since they have a laptop or desktop already.

Will Valve games only be on this console from now on though? That concerns me even though it's pretty understandable. Also, Big Picture is annoying 'cuz I keep accidentally clicking on it.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Valve releasing a console next year   Valve releasing a console next year I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 8:11 am

What does he mean not as open? If this is capable of using mods and is reasonably powerful I'd def be interested.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Valve releasing a console next year R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Valve releasing a console next year   Valve releasing a console next year I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 12:38 pm

Xbox 8? The fuck?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Valve releasing a console next year   Valve releasing a console next year I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 2:16 pm

sounds cool.

but is it affordable?
Back to top Go down
Mikenuge
Guard
Guard
Mikenuge

Stature : 39
UK
Playing : With my small penis

PostSubject: Re: Valve releasing a console next year   Valve releasing a console next year I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 11:23 pm

Given Big Picture was just launched (still has more features than PSN) it's not surprising that Valve want a piece of the pie. They have the software in place, now they're moving onto the hardware to make the push into the living room. I already know indie games are going to thrive on this platform.

TheCinemaJack wrote:
Will Valve games only be on this console from now on though?

No. That would be commercial suicide not to include 3rd party games on their new system. Most games on Steam are multi-platform and the majority of Valve's titles have had a console release.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Valve releasing a console next year   Valve releasing a console next year I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 10:47 am

Mikenuge wrote:
Given Big Picture was just launched (still has more features than PSN) it's not surprising that Valve want a piece of the pie. They have the software in place, now they're moving onto the hardware to make the push into the living room. I already know indie games are going to thrive on this platform.

TheCinemaJack wrote:
Will Valve games only be on this console from now on though?

No. That would be commercial suicide not to include 3rd party games on their new system. Most games on Steam are multi-platform and the majority of Valve's titles have had a console release.

He means will Valve's IP's be exclusive to the console to entice people to buy it. Highly doubtful, buy I suspect the likes of L4D III, Half-Life 3 etc will be Steam exclusive for a set amount of time when it launches.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Valve releasing a console next year   Valve releasing a console next year I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Valve releasing a console next year
Page 1 of 1