Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2

Go down 
+3
Hydell
Mecha
Jack the Spectre
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2 Empty
PostSubject: Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2   Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 11:06 am

To me, it's like I never really understood. It runs at 60 and it's gorgeous. What exactly is there to be upset about with the engine? - David Vondehaar, game design director

Quote :
Treyarch has defended using the seven-year-old IW engine to power Call of Duty: Black Ops II.

In an interview with OXM, game design director David Vondehaar explained that modifications had been made to ensure the game ran robustly, and admitted he was baffled that anyone would criticise the title's technical performance.

"Anybody who comes at the engine needs to remember it's the 60 frames they love in the first place," he asserted. "And we can make it beautiful - that's through years and years of working with the engine, improving upon it and improving the pipeline and improving our approach, our lighting rendering.

"People like to talk about the engine, but the truth of the matter is that this isn't like something that was invented six years ago. At this point that engine doesn't resemble anything like any engine - we've ripped out the UI system, the rendering and the lighting are all new, the core gameplay systems are all new.

"To me, it's like I never really understood," Vondehaar concluded. "It runs at 60 and it's gorgeous. What exactly is there to be upset about with the engine?"

The IW Engine has been used by both Infinity Ward and Treyarch for the companies' work on the Call of Duty games. It was first used for Call of Duty 2 back in 2005, and the exact engine being used for Black Ops II is a modified version of the IW 3.0 engine that was used for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, as well as the original Black Ops. The PC version of the game is also confirmed to take advantage of DirectX 11 video cards.

The first image of the Nuketown 2025 pre-order bonus map for Call of Duty: Black Ops II was unveiled yesterday, and the game itself is due to release on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC on November 13, and on the Wii U on its respective launch dates.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/10/treyarch-defends-black-ops-ageing-engine
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2 XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2   Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 11:24 am

The games don't look that bad at all. The lighting is nice and the framerate is consistently smooth.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2 R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2   Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 11:46 am

That's not the point. The fact that they have been using the same engine since Call of Duty 2 makes each game feel exactly the same. Sure you can say that each game has different features, but does that really justify the 60$ price tag? No.
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2   Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 12:58 pm

TheCinemaJack wrote:
The games don't look that bad at all. The lighting is nice and the framerate is consistently smooth.

Black Ops 1 was reported to trading standards for its shit framerate among other lovely glitches. The cod devs are lazy. End of.
Back to top Go down
CernaMLD
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader

Stature : 21

PostSubject: Re: Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2   Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 2:47 pm

The main problem wit this engine is that we see the exact same exploits being abused in every. Single. Game.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2   Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 4:10 pm

Black Ops engine is horrible. Inconsistent framerates that jump from 30-60. No one wants that.

Instead of butchering the game's resolution and textures, just make it run at a solid 30 FPS. You don't need 60 FPS to have decent gamepad response. There is more than one way to reduce input lag.
Back to top Go down
ArchAngel
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ArchAngel

Stature : 20
Heaven
Playing : Sarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2   Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 6:08 pm

I dont know, when I play Modern Warfare 3, the graphics dont seem much different at all when compared to the first Modern Warfare or Black ops. Its not that the graphics are bad in BO2, its just they look very similer to what we have played for the last 5 Call of Duty games.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2   Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 10:59 pm

CernaMLD wrote:
The main problem wit this engine is that we see the exact same exploits being abused in every. Single. Game.

Like the quick scope... they could just remove the auto-aim from snipers but nooooooo Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2 1443829230
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2   Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Treyarch defends Black Ops 2's old engine used since Call of Duty 2
Page 1 of 1