Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

Sony sues Kevin Butler!

Go down 
+7
ArchAngel
Stigma
Jack the Spectre
The Enkindler
Mr Canai Spy
Bluenose
Mecha
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Sony sues Kevin Butler! R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

Sony sues Kevin Butler! Empty
PostSubject: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 11:51 pm

Sony sues Kevin Butler! Butler10

Quote :
Sony has filed suit against Jerry Lambert, the actor who plays fictional PlayStation executive Kevin Butler in a series of popular ads campaigns.

As spotted by Neogaf users, Sony is suing both Wildcat Creek Inc, a company owned by Lambert, and Bridgestone, in whose ads Lambert has appeared in a quite Kevin Butler-like role.

In a statement given to VentureBeat, Sony claimed Lambert is in breach of contract.

“Sony Computer Entertainment America filed a lawsuit against Bridgestone and Wildcat Creek, Inc. on September 11. The claims are based on violations of the Lanham Act, misappropriation, breach of contract and tortious interference with a contractual relationship. We invested significant resources in bringing the Kevin Butler character to life and he’s become an iconic personality directly associated with PlayStation products over the years. Use of the Kevin Butler character to sell products other than those from PlayStation misappropriates Sony’s intellectual property, creates confusion in the market, and causes damage to Sony.”

Lambert has appeared in a number of online and TV ads for the PlayStation brand, including the It Only Does Everything and Long Live Play campaigns. He’s also appeared live on stage at E3 and is regularly spotted roaming the social media wilds. A recent run of Bridgestone ads have featured Lambert in a role displaying similarly distinctive mannerisms and attitudes; some have been edited in the wake of Sony’s legal pursuit.

Source: VG247
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 12:31 am

I remember seeing him in a commercial playing the Wii.

:areyoufuckingk
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 3:47 am

And after all that Kevin Butler has done for Sony...assholes.
Back to top Go down
Mr Canai Spy
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Mr Canai Spy

Stature : 47
Weymouth
Playing : halo 5, rise of the tomb raider

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 4:40 am

Is this real or another publicity stunt? Remember the new job scam Sony sues Kevin Butler! 2505020059
Back to top Go down
The Enkindler
Endgame Boss
Endgame Boss

Stature : 86
Greece
Playing : Plenty of games, and I can't count them.

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 5:35 am

Mr Canai Spy wrote:
Is this real or another publicity stunt? Remember the new job scam Sony sues Kevin Butler! 2505020059
It's real, and it's rather unfair if you ask me, regardless if there was a breach in the contract or not.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/azazel166
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Sony sues Kevin Butler! XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 2:10 pm

What's the problem here? I mean, I haven't seen the Bridgestone ads so I can't say for sure if Jerry Lambert is copying the character of not, but if he is, then Sony has a legitimate right to complain. It's their character; Lambert just performed the character.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 2:21 pm

What TRF says is true.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 5:37 pm

TheCinemaJack wrote:
What's the problem here? I mean, I haven't seen the Bridgestone ads so I can't say for sure if Jerry Lambert is copying the character of not, but if he is, then Sony has a legitimate right to complain. It's their character; Lambert just performed the character.

Trademarking a personality is one of the most retarded things I've ever heard. The Bridgestone ad was promoting tires. If you bought 4 you could win a $70 American Express Reward Card or a Wii by mail. I hope Sony fails miserably. I was planning on buying that new ps3 model, not anymore.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 5:42 pm

Stigma wrote:
TheCinemaJack wrote:

Trademarking a personality is one of the most retarded things I've ever heard. The Bridgestone ad was promoting tires. If you bought 4 you could win a $70 American Express Reward Card or a Wii by mail. I hope Sony fails miserably. I was planning on buying that new ps3, not anymore.
Well again, I can't be sure how much they actually did copy, but trademarking a character is nothing new. I think it's ridiculous that you're not buying the PS3 just because of this.
Back to top Go down
ArchAngel
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ArchAngel

Stature : 20
Heaven
Playing : Sarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 6:35 pm

So because of this Kevin Butler may be no more? Whats the point of sueing Jerry Lambert for promoting the wii when because of this, he will probably not want to work for sony anymore? This does not seem like a win situation for Sony
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 9:01 am

Sounds like Bridgestone and Jerry Lambert didn't do anything wrong.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/10/09/kevin-butler-was-not-in-bridgestone-advert-sony-lawsuit-trundles-on/
Back to top Go down
Mr Canai Spy
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Mr Canai Spy

Stature : 47
Weymouth
Playing : halo 5, rise of the tomb raider

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 10:19 am

Without actually using the Kevin Butler name in the ad or any Butler quotes Sony cannot claim that he is playing the actor, I personally think Sony hasn't got a leg to stand on. Nice going Sony, haven't you got bigger issues to deal with? Sony sues Kevin Butler! 1443829230
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 10:38 am

Mr Canai Spy wrote:
Without actually using the Kevin Butler name in the ad or any Butler quotes Sony cannot claim that he is playing the actor, I personally think Sony hasn't got a leg to stand on. Nice going Sony, haven't you got bigger issues to deal with? Sony sues Kevin Butler! 1443829230

Exactly, the fact that Jerry Lambert appeared in another advertisement doesn't mean he's portraying the Kevin Butler character.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 3:18 pm

Mr Canai Spy wrote:
Nice going Sony, haven't you got bigger issues to deal with? Sony sues Kevin Butler! 1443829230

Must be hard being a multi-billion dollar company.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 3:46 pm

Mecha wrote:
Sounds like Bridgestone and Jerry Lambert didn't do anything wrong.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/10/09/kevin-butler-was-not-in-bridgestone-advert-sony-lawsuit-trundles-on/
If he violated an exclusivity clause, then yes, he did do something wrong. Read what you sign.
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Sony sues Kevin Butler! 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 3:51 pm

If that clause is in Lambert's contract, then yes, He may have violated the contract(even though it had expired ) Therefore Sony suing him is justified.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 4:02 pm

@Jack

He didn't play as Kevin Butler though. Besides, his contract with Sony was expired anyways. It's like suing Jim Carrey for making a movie with another studio. It's fucking stupid. Jerry Lambert is just an actor, Sony doesn't own him.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 4:20 pm

Mecha wrote:
@Jack

He didn't play as Kevin Butler though. Besides, his contract with Sony was expired anyways. It's like suing Jim Carrey for making a movie with another studio. It's fucking stupid. Jerry Lambert is just an actor, Sony doesn't own him.
Yes but exclusivity clauses can extend beyond a contract. Take, for example, the film Cannibal Holocaust. The actors' contracts stipulated that they couldn't appear in a film for a year after the movie came out. Their contract had ended at that point, but they were still obligated to stay away from films due to the clause. And regardless of whether or not Lambert specifically played Kevin Butler, he was not supposed to help promote competition; in this case, the Nintendo Wii.

I'm not saying I agree with Sony, but the fault lies in Lambert's actions.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 5:02 pm

It wasn't even an actual Wii ad. He was just some guy playing the Wii in the background for a tire commercial.

I don't know. It just isn't that big of a deal as Sony makes it out to be.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 6:38 pm

Mecha wrote:
It wasn't even an actual Wii ad. He was just some guy playing the Wii in the background for a tire commercial.
It's more than just that. The ad was for a promotion that Bridgestone was running where if you bought four tires, you would get a Nintendo Wii for free. So yeah, he was promoting Sony's competitor.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 6:49 pm

More like a way to sell more tires.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 12:06 pm

Still more legit than Apple suing Samsung.

Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 3:02 pm

Mecha wrote:
More like a way to sell more tires.
Yes, but Bridgestone's deal is still supporting Nintendo.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 3:05 pm

You mean Lambert's deal?
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2012 3:07 pm

Mecha wrote:
You mean Lambert's deal?
No, I mean the deal they have where you can get a Wii. They're still helping Nintendo which means Lambert, in turn, is helping Nintendo.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sony sues Kevin Butler!   Sony sues Kevin Butler! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sony sues Kevin Butler!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next