Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Microsoft working on wearable controllers

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Microsoft working on wearable controllers R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

Microsoft working on wearable controllers Empty
PostSubject: Microsoft working on wearable controllers   Microsoft working on wearable controllers I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 1:24 am

Microsoft working on wearable controllers Xbox-h10

Quote :
We've covered "wearable game controller" prototypes before, but every time our reaction was the same: "This doesn't look very fun, but in the hands of a capable company it definitely could be."

Well, a patent application filed by Microsoft back in July outlines "a 'Wearable Electromyography-Based Controller,' … for measuring muscle activity, to interact with and control computing devices … [including] game consoles, televisions or other multimedia devices." As the attached illustrations clarify, "wearable" could refer to everything from a pair of gloves to a shirt and pants to a simple arm-band or pair of glasses.

This could be the first "wearable gaming" development worth caring about.

Motion controls have had various gaming applications, but none of them has ever felt totally natural to non-gamers or sufficiently precise for hardcore gamers. A really good wearable, muscle activity-sensing controller could solve both those problems at once.

Wearable EMG sensors could have all kinds of real-world utility - from controlling prosthetic limbs to playing software-virtualized instruments - but what we really wanted to know is whether Microsoft's planning to use them for games.

The answer: a resounding maybe.

Whatever its purposes for the technology, Microsoft has kept it almost completely under wraps. As Patent Bolt points out, they've been "working on an advanced wearable computer system since at least 2008 without the press getting any wind of it."

It may not be realistic to hope we'll see one of these controllers in action for at least a few years, but it's no stretch to suggest Microsoft's researchers have gaming in mind, at least partially:

"Purposes include … interaction with conventional application such as … wired or wireless game controllers for interacting with game consoles or with video games operating on such consoles, control of pan-tilt-zoom cameras … etc."

Combine a fully wearable controller with Microsoft's rumored immersive display development, and put that in the hands of a capable game developer: there are some very, very cool possibilities.

How would you want to see a wearable controller put to use? Let us know in the comments.

Source: IGN
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft working on wearable controllers   Microsoft working on wearable controllers I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 3:51 am

This is actually an interesting idea for physically disabled people.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft working on wearable controllers   Microsoft working on wearable controllers I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 10:16 am

This looks retarded.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft working on wearable controllers   Microsoft working on wearable controllers I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 12:44 am

Teckno wrote:
This looks retarded.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Microsoft working on wearable controllers XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft working on wearable controllers   Microsoft working on wearable controllers I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 7:08 am

Are they gonna have a wearable battery pack as well? Microsoft working on wearable controllers 528803
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft working on wearable controllers   Microsoft working on wearable controllers I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 7:41 pm

its going to be a bracelet

Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Microsoft working on wearable controllers XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft working on wearable controllers   Microsoft working on wearable controllers I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 8:38 pm

shigdig wrote:
its going to be a bracelet

The last thing I want is burn marks on my wrist.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft working on wearable controllers   Microsoft working on wearable controllers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Microsoft working on wearable controllers
Page 1 of 1